Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
AU Mont
Banned

Default Pics of AU's on "Lows"

looking to see what a fairmont, falcon looks like on aftermarket Low springs (30mm drop from standard)

dont really want to go superlows as the car will be used for light towing, moving house etc. so id like to see if just lows will look passable.

thanks

AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Pics of AU's on "Lows"

On Genuine XR springs which are about 25mm lower than stock. Bear in mind that my car is on LPG, which makes the rear sit about level.

Many here without LPG have gone SL on the rear and Low on the front to level out the car.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
AU Mont
Banned

nice pics there thanks

it certainly does look reasonable, i reckon the side skirts help give the illusion of being lower too. Ive got a 2x 10" subs and box in the boot but im guessing it wont be anywhere near as heavy as an LPG tank.

How does it do with towing on the XR springs? Tuck tyre much? Does there look to have a little more room to drop with superlows?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is my AUIII with Eibach Pro Kit

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3

Last edited by FOCUSonTHIS; 09-06-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: adding another photo
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
nice pics there thanks

it certainly does look reasonable, i reckon the side skirts help give the illusion of being lower too. Ive got a 2x 10" subs and box in the boot but im guessing it wont be anywhere near as heavy as an LPG tank.

How does it do with towing on the XR springs? Tuck tyre much? Does there look to have a little more room to drop with superlows?
Towing was fine, I took off my towbar recently. One place where I work has a shocking driveway, which was scraping. As I mostly towed with my wagon and the auto anyway, I took it off. It makes the SR a little zippier too, and handle better with less weight in the rear.

Superlows will probably have the rear sit level, towing will have it sit lower again, so you may want to just go lows, to allow for that drop. I guess if you only tow light loads, and not often, you'd opt for the SL rears.

Others here will be able to better advise you on all that though, as there'll be many who've done it.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up Re: Pics of AU's on "Lows"

Very nice looking car man!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Towing was fine, I took off my towbar recently...
Sorry to hijack the thread but just curious is removing the tow bar as easy as just removing the rear bumper and undoing the mounting points for it?
Cheers
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Sorry to hijack the thread but just curious is removing the tow bar as easy as just removing the rear bumper and undoing the mounting points for it?
Cheers
You've got a number of bolts under the car, but there are about 4-6 that you need to remove the bumper to get to.

It's a pretty easy process once the bumper bar is off.

The bar is held on by 4 small nuts (10 mm IIRC), two each side. The front bolts are accessed by undoeing the clips that hold on the inner guard. The rear bolts are accessed by getting under the boot liner on either side.

Once they're all undone, it's a matter of you and a mate taking one side of the bumper each, gently peeling the front of the bumper outwards and walking backwards a few steps, it should come off nice and easy.

The plug/loom for the bar can be followed up and into the boot, unclipped and then you put a bung in the hole to stop any water that might splash through. I got mine from the wreckers.

All the best with it.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG