Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-05-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default LR Focus MP3 input

I have to get up for work in 6 hours, but I'm so excited, just got my MP3 input to work in my car after god knows how many years of trying!!

I'll explain tomorrow, but I'm on top of the world, now both my phone and my Sat Nav can be plugged into my stereo, meaning i now have more audible Sat Nav, a car kit for my phone and both the phone and Sat Nav contain MP3 players so it's unlimited music from now on!!

Old 14-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I've just recently purchased a Toshiba Gigabeat MP3 so I'd be interested in how it all goes for you.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
tabaccs

Any news for us guys, im hanging to find out how this can be done...

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Now fully installed. I have now upgraded it to a double input with some adapters, so I can plug my phone AND Sat-Nav in and use the input by simply turning on the device I want.

It all started 3 years ago.

I learnt that the CD player (single disc) in all LR models except Ghia is CD-Changer compatible as written on the fascia of the radio. I did some homework as I wanted to buy a 6-stacker naturally!

After discovering it was about $900 as an option from Ford for the old under-seat cartridge-fed 6-stacker, I looked elsewhere, only to discover that the aftermarket units (Alpine made the OE stacker) didn't directly plug into the Ford radio. Typical!

So off I went around the globe on a Google trip to find a converter, soon to discover I needed a costly $100 converter which enabled me to plug into the 12 pin factory plug at the back of my CD player and into most aftermarket branded 6-stackers! It also had the benefit of AUX input also, which I saw no need for at the time as the only real input then was DVD screens... Ipods weren't even launched (amazing hey!)

So I ordered an FDASX from www.peripheralelectronics.com in the USA since the radio we have here is identical to the US Focus one and most other US Ford radios. Our rear plug is the same also hence the US converter plugs straight into our European radios.

I bought a $250 Alpine used CD stacker off Ebay, installed it and had a great time carrying 6 CD's under the passenger seat and still using the single disc slot, effectively now a 7-CD player.

All went well for 2 months until the Alpine unit died. NEVER buy used electronics off Ebay. Was going to cost $200 for a repair on it, decided not to bother and pulled out the changer, but left the converter plugged in behind the radio and dash/glovebox.

3 years later, after trying many times to get the Aux plugs working and not knowing why they didn't work, I discovered a couple of days ago that to get the Aux plugs to work, you need the changer plugged in also! All this time it had been sitting in a box in my cupboard.

So I plugged the now defunct changer back in and stuck it under the passenger seat, to discover that my Aux input now works perfectly!

Some tricky wiring later, and I now have an almost invisible dual-AUX input in my car, with the help of some extra cable from Dick Smith and a couple of 3.5mm jack adapters. All I need to do is press the CD button twice to access the AUX feature and away she goes! My Sat-Nav now reads through the speakers and with a 2gig SD card included, it plays all the MP3s I want at the same time along with giving me verbal directions. I also plug my phone in with its headphone input and can use the speakers as both a car-kit and to also play music off my other 2gig SD card!

So I have double MP3 players, or really just 4gig in total (with no limit to what else I want to plug in!!) and everything has been done with black cables and tucked under panels to be COMPLETELY invisible save for the two little inputs sitting at the base of the dash next to my right cup holder.

OK. Now time to make it easy for all of you.

Step 1: Buy a PXDX or FDPILX as a dedicated Focus capable Aux input, without the need for a CD changer. I bought an FDASX because I needed changer functionality, but all you need honestly is one of the former two.

Do searches on Ebay and Google to find pricing, expect about $100 all up or so in Aussie dollars. Mine's Peripheral branded, but many places offer an identical unit at different prices. Make sure it's for a 2000-2004 Focus and not the newer US one as they changed their interface.

Step 2: Pull out your radio using radio removal tools... two U shaped wire handles that slide into the holes on wither side. I use the two ends of a metal coathanger cut about 8cm in from the bends to form two giant U's.

Step 3: Plug the 12 pin plug into the back of the CD player and run the converter into the small gap behind the clock in the dashboard, perfect room to fit it.

Step 4: Open the glovebox and either run the wires into that like in an LS Focus so you just put the input in there, or be a little tricky and get funky behind the dashboard to spread the wires all over the car.

Any questions, just ask me!
Old 19-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
tabaccs

Sweet deal mate, definitely going to look into it... Cheers for the info!!

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post