Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Summernats grand champion a car theif...

...so that's how he funded such a nice show car (X-Hilliers XP Coupe)

From The Illawarra Mercury 13/05/2005
http://www.illawarramercury.com/arti...843344923.html

Quote:
Show car champ jailed
By LOUISE TURK
May 13, 2005

A DAPTO man regarded as one of Australia's best show car enthusiasts was jailed yesterday for his involvement in an Illawarra-based car rebirthing racket.

John David Ritchie - also known as Dave Ritchie - will spend the next two years and three months behind bars after being convicted of multiple car stealing charges.

The 33-year-old unemployed man was part of a crime syndicate which stole dozens of cars across the Illawarra in 2003. They stripped vehicles and torched them in pre-arranged insurance claims or refitted them with new parts and sold them to unsuspecting buyers.

Wollongong District Court heard that Ritchie, of Barellan Ave, was highly skilled in show car restoration and had won titles in Australia's premier street machine event Summernats.

Ritchie is well known among car enthusiasts for his restoration of a two-tone green 1965 Ford XP Falcon coupe.

The $150,000 show car, which took five months to rebuild, has taken out numerous awards at a national and state level.

While Ritchie's talents for car restoration earned him praise and recognition for the restored Ford coupe, his skills were also used for criminal activity.

The court heard that Ritchie was part of a car rebirthing racket which included Stephen Fairall, 25, of Dapto; Scott Field, 33 of Dapto; and Terry Peter Stumbles, of Dapto.

Fairall and Field have been sentenced to prison terms this week for their involvement in the racket. Stumbles will be sentenced today.

Yesterday Judge Joe Phelan said Ritchie - along with co-offenders Fairall and Field - had shown a keen interest and flair for all things mechanical, particularly cars.

"None of these gifts have been the subject of any form of formal training...which would have enabled each of them to have gained employment themselves without stealing other people's property," Judge Phelan said, adding that

written reports revealed Ritchie had a history of being easily led by his peers.

"This seems to be a recurrent theme among each of the offenders so far," the Judge Phelan said.

Ritchie pleaded guilty to attempting to steal from a motor vehicle; two counts of concealing a serious indictable offence; stealing a motor vehicle (a motorcycle and trailer); and stealing a motor vehicle (three motorcycles).

"In light of an established criminal record and matters of dishonesty over some years, and the brazen nature of these offences, and losses involved to various people - including the stealing of bikes for children to be used on holidays - means a prison sentence is inevitable," Judge Phelan said.

He sentenced Ritchie to a three-year jail term with a non-parole period of two years and three months. Ritchie also has been ordered to pay a total compensation bill of $9350 to the owners of the stolen motorcycles.
Old 13-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bugger....
Old 13-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

He's a member of the forums too.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Old 13-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

And i thought he was ripped off having to share the trophy with Gary Myres...... :MrT_anim:
Old 13-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Disappointing

20V Turbo

Old 13-05-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

Is that some kind of joke, is that made up. I would never have guessed that a ford man of his calibre would do such a thing. shame on him, but he made the mistake and atleast could admit to it. Good luck to him when he gets out and lets hope he can put it behind him and still be able to build nice fords.
Old 13-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
buickman
buickman

Very disappointing.He would not like it if his car was flogged after spending good money & time on it. This is what causes insurance premiums to go up .

buickman
Old 13-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Hahaha I tried to buy the ex-Howard Astil Rock Fairlane from him but got a very bad vibe when dealing with him.. Something didn't sit right with me so I didnt travel down to pick-up the car.. In away I am grateful my gut feeling was right, I loved that car :(

Old 13-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
Damo
Banned

was he an active member on here ?

That's not good, what a con artist! I hope he enjoys the Jail time, and he can learn from his mistakes.
Old 13-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LMAO... is this the bloke?!? http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=1145

I also notice one of his posts referring to the security of Imprezas... (btw, if this isnt the bloke being refered to above i appologise).
Old 13-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
MRJUCY
Fordless

He came on here & the other forums to pat himself on the back It's a shame that he did what he has done because he obviously had some talent but by the sounds of it he has got what he deserves. I can't imagine he'll get much respect in the Street Machining community now
Old 13-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

He and his carjacking mates can "suck shit", how the f-ck would he like it if some lowlife ripped off his pride and joy?
Old 13-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Wouldnt matter now, Im sure all of his cars etc have been confiscated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 13-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #14
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Wouldnt matter now, Im sure all of his cars etc have been confiscated.
What goes around....
Old 13-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Hell!

Anyone one of those cars being knocked off could have been ours....

Bah!
Old 13-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #16
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Hell!

Anyone one of those cars being knocked off could have been ours....

Bah!
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
Old 13-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #17
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Damn. That's very dissapointing.

Such a nice car that I'd hate to think it was built with other people's money.
Old 13-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a joke a guy with all that talent and he has to steal......well what goes around comes around.
If when he comes out he tries to renter the car scene it will be a lllooooonngg time before he is accepted back and only after he has convinced many others he has changed his ways and is truly repentant.
HOW bloody stupid to waste that talent!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #19
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I hope he gets out, builds a nice car and has it pinched.
Old 13-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #20
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
totally agree. What a jackass, to steal all of those cars to get the money to build a show car. Lets hope gary myers didnt do it that way, or there will be hell to pay for him as he is one of the most respected street machiners in australia. Ohh well lets hope he gets what he deserves, and dont touch another persons car (stealing it i mean).
Old 13-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Would serve him right eh,what goes around comes around.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #22
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical_ED
Ohh well lets hope he gets what he deserves, and dont touch another persons car (stealing it i mean).
Hey All,
A few months in the big house with some Grade A TUNNEL REAMERS will teach this oxygen theif a few manners, probably just what he needs : : : :
Three squares a day and all the sex you don't want!
Cheers,
Mike
Old 13-05-2005, 10:21 PM   #23
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if he will read this thread and give us his version??
Old 13-05-2005, 10:27 PM   #24
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Doubt it..........

Oo\===/oO
Old 13-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #25
Kryton

an unemployed man with a $150000 showcar.......that should be ringing alarm bells on its own.
regardless of his talent he is still scum and deserves what he gets.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #26
Phil
......Ford........

F*** him and his car stealing mates..........
Thats a dog act.
FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Old 13-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #27
Dodge
i like to be stroked

dont feel sorry for him, that piece of shite stole someone pride and joy, i hope he was baned from the site as i bet u he was looking at where and what cars are around his area, scum bag looser dickwad, if i see that XP i will trash it . i hope he gets his rear end widened and tubbed.
Old 13-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #28
jaym
I Wish I Was A Post Whore

mmmm silly scum!!! i think my hart just got riped out, love the car hate where it came from, but hay i will be at police auctions in a few months, lets hope the next owner goe's bigger and better with it.
Dumb Boys!!!

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
Old 13-05-2005, 11:44 PM   #29
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
i hope he was baned from the site
i doubt he'll be allowed 'free' roaming access of the net in the slammer anyway.
but yes, do ban him
Old 13-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Wow, so where's the XP now? :

Unfortunate that people do this sort of thing but I guess its always going to happen. Maybe that trophy will buy him a nice husband.