Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
ImB055XR8
Starter Motor

Default Hows this for ford service

I own a BA XR8, just ran out of warranty and now all problems begin...
Gearbox needed to be rebuilt twice there goes $4200. Then the alternator dies, there goes another $1045..

Then guess what, the car breaks down on the side of the road AGAIN because it has no oil pressure.

So now ford want $19000 to rebuild the motor because the bearings were turned.

Had a chat to Ford Care in Melb, they declined to assist me in any way because i put an Exhaust and Cold Air Induction in.

After owning 3 XR8's and my family owning 19 Fords over the years. Theres only 1 Guarantee, THIS IS MY LAST !!! :

Old 28-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Mate since it is out of warrenty dont bother with ford service. Get a local engine reconditioner to do it and a local mechanic to fit it. that way your keeping a local business running and helping them stay in touch and your not getting overcharged.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Old 28-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Sorry I am on Fords side, if you make posts like this 6 months back you clearly dont deserve any warranty.

You can pick up an engine used for under $5k I seen one go on ebay yesterday for $3300, I suggest if your giving it a hard time get some billet oil pump gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImB055XR8
yeah i agree, whenever u want to start modding go for it, i started modding my Xr8 at 14000km's, its got 358kw and hasnt missed a beat...
It doesnt take much to void the warranty though.... so watch out for that

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 28-02-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 28-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats no good mate ,good luck with the rebuild
Old 28-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Ditto Mark, we all know the risks when we mod our cars that are still under warranty. If something engine wise goes in my car i won't be taking it back to Ford as firstly they will rip me off for new parts and i know i won't get it covered.

Your XR8 and my XR6T were not designed to cope with these power figures and if you go to hard and don't do internal work your playing with fire.

Unfortunatlly you got burnt. I recommend the same as above and go somewhere local and get them to do the work.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
Old 28-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
ImB055XR8
Starter Motor

The car has rarely been given a hard time, all mods expect CAI and the exhaust have been taken off..

Why do people buy performance cars if you cant use them as a performance car!
Old 28-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Was actually discussing topic similar to this the other day with the missus, and both agrred that should it ever happen to the 6, instead of buyin a new motor, id buy a good one and spend the rest having it rebuilt by a performance workshop. Might cost a little more but its already out of warranty and your up for the dough anyway.
Old 28-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
NA XR6
!!

358 kw and you want warranty you are kidding
Sorry about the pain
But you mod you pay mate
Old 28-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
The car has rarely been given a hard time, all mods expect CAI and the exhaust have been taken off..

You had your stock engine pushed up to 350 rwkw, the engine and the cars components are not made to cope with this type of stress, its common problem that the Boss has oil pump failure, this is why you most likely lost your oil pressure.
Your gears may have been cracked for some time then bang shattered.
For $950 Including fitting, billet oil pump gears would have most lickely saved your engine.
You play hard you pay hard.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 28-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the COME site and get yourself one of their 400ci alloy terminator engines. :yeees:

Isn't 19k very steep for a mass produced engine? Are they gold plated or something?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 28-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
xwgasaxe
under new management

Ring Redcliffe dyno He will swap the boss for a Clevo and then it will last.
Old 28-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
ImB055XR8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
You had your stock engine pushed up to 350 rwkw, the engine and the cars components are not made to cope with this type of stress, its common problem that the Boss has oil pump failure, this is why you most likely lost your oil pressure.
Your gears may have been cracked for some time then bang shattered.
For $950 Including fitting, billet oil pump gears would have most lickely saved your engine.
You play hard you pay hard.

I dont recall saying it had 350rwkw, it had closer to around 255rwkw, but getting back to the point it only has CAI and an exhaust, which makes the car NEAR STOCK !!
Old 28-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Sorry I am on Fords side, if you make posts like this 6 months back you clearly dont deserve any warranty.

lol :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 28-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I dont recall saying it had 350rwkw, it had closer to around 255rwkw, but getting back to the point it only has CAI and an exhaust, which makes the car NEAR STOCK !!
You started modding your car at 14,000k, but it is near stock..... I'm confused. :
Old 28-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap no sympathy here either, its a shame but thats what happens.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
ImB055XR8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
You started modding your car at 14,000k, but it is near stock..... I'm confused. :

Ok, at 14000km i modded the car to have 255rwkw. Around 20,000km(6000km later) ALL THESE mods have been removed EXCEPT CAI and the EXHAUST.

So as far a Ford know the car has only ever had CAI and the EXHAUST.

The car has recently done 44,000km on just the CAI and EXHAUST MODS.
So i think that it is very safe to say that the MODS that were removed 44,000km ago DIDNT cause the damage that has recently been done.
Old 28-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

How many kilometers has your car done? I assume that it has run the three years of warranty out.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #18
ImB055XR8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
How many kilometers has your car done? I assume that it has run the three years of warranty out.

Its done 58000km and is roughly 9 weeks out of warranty
Old 28-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guessing the 19K to rebuild is an error ? if not see a site sponser to re build it, street tough.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #20
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$1045 for an alternator? Is that right? Did they have to rip the engine out to replace it? At most it should be about $300 for the part plus ~1 hour for fitting shouldn't it?

$19,000 for engine rebuild? Might as well buy a secondhand car instead.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #21
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

19k bulls**t, From the sounds of it, i think they saw you coming mate.

Someones made a pretty penny off of you.
Best sell that 8 i reckon and by yourself a Mountain Bike,
you want to mod it.. Change the front sprockets you'll get an extra bike length from each pedal.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #22
ImB055XR8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
$1045 for an alternator? Is that right? Did they have to rip the engine out to replace it? At most it should be about $300 for the part plus ~1 hour for fitting shouldn't it?

$19,000 for engine rebuild? Might as well buy a secondhand car instead.

Yeah $1045 for a Genuine Ford Alternator installed, they said its quiet a big job to install it, but he worked at ford what would he know...

Yeah i know at $19,000 for a rebuild the cars basically written off.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
XR8s are performance cars?

News to me. I thought they were V8 Falcons with a sporty appearance.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #24
peedee

Exactly where were you using these kw, or have been I bet it has mainly on the street, because if was on the track you would know about improving other engine and driveline components to cope with the power and the use of such power
Old 28-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #25
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
XR8s are performance cars?

News to me. I thought they were V8 Falcons with a sporty appearance.
So where do you draw the line? If the XR8 is not performance then neither is the GT or the XR6T, I think you're getting supercar and performance confused.
Old 28-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #26
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Mate, you've been raped fair and square....

If you want the engine rebuilt, go to a reputable mechanic/performance shop in your area, and get a quote from them. $19,000 is a nice deposit for a house...
Old 28-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #27
fastfords
Starter Motor

Quote:
I own a BA XR8, just ran out of warranty and now all problems begin...
Gearbox needed to be rebuilt twice there goes $4200. Then the alternator dies, there goes another $1045..

Then guess what, the car breaks down on the side of the road AGAIN because it has no oil pressure.

So now ford want $19000 to rebuild the motor because the bearings were turned.

Had a chat to Ford Care in Melb, they declined to assist me in any way because i put an Exhaust and Cold Air Induction in.

After owning 3 XR8's and my family owning 19 Fords over the years. Theres only 1 Guarantee, THIS IS MY LAST !!! :

Wow, what a joke, You would think with the loyalty youve showed ford that they would at least show you some back in return.

What a dud of a company, it makes me sick hereing this. Makes me wanna get rid of my Typoon and trade it in for a Holden. :sm_headba
Old 28-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #28
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfords
What a dud of a company, it makes me sick hereing this. Makes me wanna get rid of my Typoon and trade it in for a Holden. :sm_headba
????? Is that some form of oriental poontang ?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 28-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #29
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I think that there is more to this situation than is being broadcast. I couldn't be happier with my local ford dealer and fords warranty support. Warranty is a two way agreement.
Old 28-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #30
3vXT

sorry mate but if its out of warranty what do you expect?
and even if it wasn't, intake and exhaust mods would nearly be enough to void any claims on engine and driveline parts that crap themselves even without the other stuff.

i'm against ford, or any company for that matter, busting their ***** to void genuine warrenty claims but people trying to get stuff fixed, when they are deliberately misleading the warranty provider just make it harder for everyone else and that really grinds my gears (pun very much intended).

remember, warranties are just a type of insurance, the more people make false claims, the more expensive it gets.

oh and 19K is ******, shop around and you should be able to get it built twice as tough for half as much. Ford are ******* idiots if they expect anyone to pay that.
Closed Thread