Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Mr Cusso
Starter Motor

Default Frustration!!

This question is for the GT replica people. If you own one or you are building one does it ever frustrate you knowing that it's not an dinkydie GT? Now I know GT's are becoming very rare, but wouldn't you sooner spend your thousand's of dollars on driving a really nice XW or XY, (I meen a real eye popper) than to do the car up to look like a genuine GT, then only tell people that it's not!

Mr Cusso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not really

i love my car, respect GT's, and know ill never live up to a REAL GT, i still perve on EBGT's as well.

- Grechie
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
satria
FOXWHO

not really,

people always ask me if its riggy dij which is enough of a compliment for me. I'm only 21, so i have no shame in telling people its a faker, and not one person has been upset by that fact, so why be frustrated?

If anything i'm happy it's a faker because i can actually drive it on the street everytime i'm back home, real gt's are museum pieces now.

Just the 100 odd thousand dollar price tag difference is the downer hehehe
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria
not really,

people always ask me if its riggy dij which is enough of a compliment for me. I'm only 21, so i have no shame in telling people its a faker, and not one person has been upset by that fact, so why be frustrated?

If anything i'm happy it's a faker because i can actually drive it on the street everytime i'm back home, real gt's are museum pieces now.

Money isn't everything though. Sure, be awesome to drive a car worth that much. The problem is however that I'd be too scared to take it out of the driveway. Also, some shitburgers would purposely damage it because a) it's a classic and b) possibly because it's a Ford.

So a replica, while looking the goods won't be AS much as a drag if some arsewipe decides to damage it slightly. Of course, it will still be a kick in the pants and you'll probably want to put a dent in their car. But why bother? Their car is probably an old bomb covered in dents and burning oil faster than our lawnmower.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
satria
FOXWHO

all i know is if i get rammed by any new car out there, my silver metal ship will easily crush their plastic cars lol

doesn't mean i won't kick their head in for scratching my car haha
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Mr Cusso
Starter Motor

I suppose the feeling of owning a replica is a bit like stickin on a temp tattoo looks the goods, makes it 10% tuffer, but not a real one. ha ha ha!
Old 27-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
1970galaxie
Fat 460

GT replicas are like Pamela Anderson....
They both look like the real thing, but deep down inside, we know they are not!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cusso
but wouldn't you sooner spend your thousand's of dollars on driving a really nice XW or XY, (I meen a real eye popper) than to do the car up to look like a genuine GT, then only tell people that it's not!
I dont own either, but i would rather build that eye popper that is equally as quick.
That said, if i did buy a real nice replica all done, that would suit me fine too, but starting from scratch, something original would be the way i would go.
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Mate, while I will probly never be able to afford an original GT because of the price these days , I would like to enjoy the feel of one ! I will build a nice "FAKER" for myself one day soon, I will also build one or 2 practice fakers and sell em for good money because there are people who feel like I do! A very good freind of mine sold his yellow glow Faker about 12 months ago, and the new owner was more than happy to pay $29,000 for it even though it was a Faker ! It was immaculate , and needed next to no money spent on it to tidy up some unfinished touches !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
Scott

Why would someone be feel frustrated with building a replica when they set out to do just that?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I think you'll find that the majority of people have no idea and will go...
"WOW, Nice GT" and walk away happy and never know the difference.

XC falcons never came out in a GT, but i get an endless amount people saying
"Nice GT" Or "Geeze that old Windsor motor sounds awesome..." They get so dissapointed when you tell them there never was a XC GT and didnt come out with a Windsor motor...

Its only people who know what they are talking about to need to be concerned with.

Bullsh.. Or not to Bullsh... Where do you start and finish... ?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that if I had a V8 Fairmont as as starting point I would rather improve it than to try and create a replica.
Regards,
Tote
Old 27-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
Mr Cusso
Starter Motor

Well thanks guy's this post has pointed out some interesting views, I agree that if your getting good money for building mock up's then fine, but to build one for myself, I have to agree with Tote on this one. I would rather see a really nice done up XR-XT-XW- or XY, than a mock up any day!!
Old 27-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
BJ
Banned

I have always felt that a good GS Fairmont was a better looking car, and they will be worth as much if not more one day, they just seem to be getting harder and harder to find.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A nice, original 351 GS would be a better car to own and drive in everyway, I reckon. Who wants 4V heads on a street car?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
xwgasaxe
under new management

I never intended to build a GT replica but appreciate what a reputation the GT has established, So my interpretation is blackouts in the bonnet and boot lid and the strip package.
I don't have any GT decals or badges and when people ask if it's a real GT then I say " I will leave it up to you to decide".
I actually got pulled over by the cops just so they could have a gander and a bit of a chin wag.
Old 27-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #17
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

GT Replicas have their place. With the astronomical prices that XW / XY GTs are going for, they are getting further out of reach for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria
not really,

Good attitude. Also the fact that you can modify the hell out of it if you want to is a nice plus. Just enjoy your wheels, let other people get all over the top with oh you drive a faker you ****** crap. The persons saying it probably drive Hyundai Excels :->
Old 27-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Schlimmeh
BF XR8 Ute = Bluesmobile

I really dig the performance of the GT's but GT stripes on a modern car make me puke. The plastic stripes are so unneccessary and really make them look cheap and nasty to my eye - I don't expect many people to agree tho...
Schlimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
A nice, original 351 GS would be a better car to own and drive in everyway, I reckon. Who wants 4V heads on a street car?
Me. :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #21
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Who wants 4V heads on a street car?
Anyone who knows anything about clevelands.
Far better head than a 2v in any and ALL applications...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Me. :
And another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #23
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Well I like fakers cause its easy to make em heaps quicker, handle better and still have the thrill of the real feel for lots less than the real thing !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #24
HenryV8

The way I see it, if you have a genuine GT you probably want to keep it stock. But like Blue Oval MoparMan says, with a faker you can modify/improve it without compunction.

So for a daily driver a faker is fine, and who cares what anybody else thinks.
HenryV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #25
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

I suppose what would you all so call a "Faker" ?
if you have the GT stripes down the side but nothing else .. is that a gt faker ?
what if you have the side stripes and and the boot blackout ??
Anyway all that said I would not like a faker .. just the same I would not like a GLI and put "tickford" stuff on it and say its a tickford.
When I was looking around for a car I come across a guy who was selling a "GT" for $40,000 .. So I did what any bloke would do (make sure I had the money and get there as soon as I could) We went there and it turns out its not a GT... But built with a lot of GT parts and to GT spec so its worth more money.. The car looked good .. it really did but to me as it was not a real GT then it was only as much a clean XY with a clean paint job.
I have a car now .. and I'm building it different . Just the way I want it to be. I want to be able to take it to a car show and park it with other XW/XYs and stand out..
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #26
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Me. :
Me too .