Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
FordFan86
meow

Question Road Rules: Slip Lane

Ok, today almost had 2 crashes in like 4 seconds, then another one a minute after that, i want to know where i would've stood with the first one as i am unsure.
here it goes, i was in a slip lane turning onto a main road (south road for SA guys) 2nd car behind waiting (6pm = lots of traffic) i left a decent car length and then some to the VT in front of me. i'm watching my rear and sideview mirrors for a gap, it's just after an intersection so the lights go yellow, an EB 4 cars back see's this and pulls in the same time as i gun it to get ahead of the car infront of me. I am now accelerating hard entirely in the left lane of south road, as this VT pulls out from the slip lane and almost hits me, i brake and swerve into next lane across, cutting off the EB. what i want to know is who was at fault, me or the VT, i know it's probably right for me to let her get out first, but legally i'd say it would be her fault if she had of hit me.

2nd bitch is just merging onto southern expressway, 3 lanes turn into 2 at 80k accelerating to 100, im in the left lane which ends, with half my car ahead of some datsun, im indicating to get across and running outa road fast, he eventually pulls over to the farthest lane leaving me running right up against the railing....

Last edited by FordFan86; 21-04-2005 at 12:22 AM.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd say you were at fault both times. If you were second car in line, you should wait for the first car to go first.

in the second situation, if you are ahead, have your indicator on, etc, and he doesn't let you in, and you hit him, it would be his fault as he has not given way - plus he would be in your blind spot. The reason I initially said it was your fault, is that people who can't merge shouldn't be on the road - you always had the option of pulling back and letting him go, then merging.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
FordFan86
meow

I can merge fine (usually pull into slip lane and keep moving and easily get into a gap, but when ****heads who dont know how to merge completely stop, it makes it hard) was waiting for a gap, heavy traffic. my gripe was with the VT who pulled out after i was entirely on the main road, she was still in the slip lane... so should've given way to me?
i didn't even see the EB, it would've been my fault if i hit him (or he ran up my ****? cauz i cut him off without indicating), i saw the VT pull out and just swerved to avoid being hit which was dumb yes, he didn't seem to annoyed as i think he saw what had happened...
note: NC fairlane 5litre P plates and Metallica cranked 3/4's doesn't look to good either :P

Last edited by FordFan86; 21-04-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 21-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #4
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dun worry about it james :'( :P, atleast your learning from these situations.

i had kinda the same thing happen to me today, some chic in a r33 skyline was behing me, and we both went around this person who had to turn into a shopping centre, i pulled out and she pulled out at the same time, she gave it shit and nearly hit me :( argh
Old 21-04-2005, 12:49 AM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if ppl r merging into moving traffic then its their give way even if it means stoping hence the dotted lines. any slip lane that has dotted lines at the entrance to anutha road is considered a hold line which u have to stop if neccessary. if and accident happens, even if its not ur fault, u could possibly get into trouble for not doing enuf to avoid a collision. and if ur got P plates then more likely then not they will try and ping it on u.

yes metallica prolly aint the best music to b listenin to when ur drivn. lol i know from experience(-dont listen to it much while drivn anymore lol). they say that music has a sum influence on the way u drive.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #6
FordFan86
meow

play some U2 if i have to go out tommorow then lol.
i am still waiting for a definite answer as to who's fault it would have been. I'm saying i should have let her go first cauz she was in front. legally i think it would be her fault as i was on the main road, she was in the slip lane therefore now having to give way to me just like she would any other car who would have been driving past, and that's what counts. end of story. if someone knows 100% for sure please correct me.
Old 21-04-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fordfan86 - to get next to the VT that was in front of you, you must have done one of two things:
1. crossed a solid white line
2. Not let the car in front of leave the slip lane first.

If it was a 2 lane slip lane, then I could see how you could legally "beat" the VT to the main part of the road. If it was a single lane, then I think you only "beat" her because of the P plates - they give that extra feeling of invincibility, but the day you come a cropper, you will realise why we have road rules.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 21-04-2005, 01:00 AM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i think that would b quite sedate music in comparisson to Metallica lol. yeah it would b her fault. and if u got a shit car(dont sayn u do but if u do) and if u dont like VTs **** there car up aswell as mayb gettn ur car written off and upgrading(u could put it like that)

i had a lancer pull out in front of me once at a T section. i would of slammed into it full on in the side. lucky for ABS brakes no lockup. after it im like damn shoulda hit it. woulda ****ed up a lancer and got a new car. but then i was like it was nearly Xmas time and i doubt id get a new car anytime soon. then calm and collected side was like no u did the right thing.

have u ever been nearly taken out by a cop car b4 just patrollin?

Last edited by MITCHAY; 21-04-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #9
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Fordfan86 - to get next to the VT that was in front of you, you must have done one of two things:
1. crossed a solid white line
2. Not let the car in front of leave the slip lane first.

If it was a 2 lane slip lane, then I could see how you could legally "beat" the VT to the main part of the road. If it was a single lane, then I think you only "beat" her because of the P plates - they give that extra feeling of invincibility, but the day you come a cropper, you will realise why we have road rules.
1: it is a longish single slip lane, she edged up towards the end of it, i did not cross the solid white line.
2: she was the car in front, that's what the whole problem was, she took her time pulling out. i probably shouldv've gone across the three lanes to get where i was heading to leaving plenty of room for her to pull out, but i didnt want to be doing that with P plates on did i? mghta looked a bit stupid
3. what a load of shit, i have no extra invincibilty, i started this to find out what the exact rule was, not to be flamed because i am unsure and have P plates.

Last edited by FordFan86; 21-04-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

OK, think of it this way. pretend that she did pull out and hit you. Then think about how you explain that to the cops. They ask you "So where were you in relation to the VT" you say "Behind her" They say "Come with us, son".

How did you get your P plates, if you don't know the road rules? Glad I don't live in SA!

Old 21-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dunno these road rules change so much. i mean u cant honestly say u havent ever made a mistake.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #12
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
have u ever been nearly taken out by a cop car b4 just patrollin?
i've had a car pull out in front of me from a T intersection, as well as a truck, but hey if i hit them it would've been due to my P plates and my all knowingness.
also had a guy in an XF drift into my lane halfway thru a 2 laned rounadbout turn.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i would say roundabouts r the worst of them all. cant tell u how many times nearly been taken out on them. u know how ppl cut roundabouts to keep up their speed. sum ppl do it even with other ppl on the roundabouts not at like 2am in the mornin when now ones round. shit trucks scare the hell outta me. i try to stay behind them at all costs. u dunno which ones r drugged up to the eyeballs or not. i was commn back from batemans bay to canberra one time. i had a truck mayb a car length behind me ridn my ***. i sped up to 130km to give me a break then slowed back to 110. next thing u know this truckie overtakes me. i slowed down to 90 to give this truckie a lot of leway and then went back to 100 and never saw him again. and wats worst in all of this there was a oncommn traffic on a shit road thin as could b

Last edited by MITCHAY; 21-04-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #14
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
OK, think of it this way. pretend that she did pull out and hit you. Then think about how you explain that to the cops. They ask you "So where were you in relation to the VT" you say "Behind her" They say "Come with us, son".

How did you get your P plates, if you don't know the road rules? Glad I don't live in SA!
i was behind her, at about the rear 1/4 panel/passengers door on the main road. i got my p plates first of all by reading the book and taking the test for the L plates, after being on my L's for awhile driving around with my parents for a bit, i started having lessons. after i completed all the lessons and had my final test i got a piece of paper saying i could get my P's. i took this piece of paper down to the SA licencing and registaration place, and payed about $35, they gave me a temporary licence, and my plastic one was mailed out shortly after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
i dunno these road rules change so much. i mean u cant honestly say u havent ever made a mistake.
i have made a few mistakes, misjudged others speed and position, and at times almost forget to check my blind spot....

Last edited by FordFan86; 21-04-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #15
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
also had a guy in an XF drift into my lane halfway thru a 2 laned rounadbout turn.
Come live up my way. Happens to me 3-5 times a week at the local roundabout.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 01:14 AM   #16
Cheahman
BOSS 260

I think you were at fault fordfan, but most ppl do wat you do and even ive been guilty of it at times. Because the person at the back can see the gap first so most times they usually go stuffing it up for the people at the front. Which is why you usually see the car at the front come to a complete stop because ppl at the back pull out first not giving them anytime to merge.

BA XR8
EB XR8

Last edited by Cheahman; 21-04-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 01:16 AM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wat really annoys me is these ppl who speed up to get in front then do 10km under the limit.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:18 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Mitchay - I've made plenty. But that's how we all learn, I guess. Though mine were simple things like hitting someone who did not stop at a stop sign (I was speeding by about 10km/h - probably would have got him at the speed limit anyway), and a set of traffic lights going from green to totally blank and then coming up red with me about 20 metres from them - no chance of stopping in the wet in a LWB van.

I wasn't having a go at you Fordfan86 in particular, but the way you asked the question, it was like you are leaning towards blaming the driver of the VT, who has the right of way FIRST - no matter how slow she was going - and then you mentioned P plates, well, i just put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4. Maybe it's more like 3.5, but I can tell you a little patience, and a lot of anticiaption, goes a long way on the roads. I have none of the first, and have learnt to try to be aware of what's around me at all times. This helps with anticipation - if you know what's there, you can take other cars into consideration when you have to swerve etc. Especially if you have to swerve because you were too impatient to wait for the person in front to merge before you.

Old 21-04-2005, 01:25 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just cruise round now at the speed limit humbly listen to tunes. dont bother bout lane zig zaggn coz as most would have found out u might get like one car ahead(WOW big deal). any1 hits me-SWEET. my mum works at a law firm, i get a new car. my car is legal so no probs wit insurance. im calm and collected now since i got rid of sum chick who made my life hell so no probs in the world. when u get ur Ps though u do go apeshit on the roads (majority off ppl). i said i wouldnt and i did. now i just cruise.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:25 AM   #20
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i left a decent car length and then some to the VT in front of me. i'm watching my rear and sideview mirrors for a gap, it's just after an intersection so the lights go yellow, an EB 4 cars back see's this and pulls in the same time as i gun it to get ahead of the car infront of me. I am now accelerating hard entirely in the left lane of south road, as this VT pulls out from the slip lane and almost hits me, i brake and swerve into next lane across, cutting off the EB. what i want to know is who was at fault, me or the VT, i know it's probably right for me to let her get out first, but legally i'd say it would be her fault if she had of hit me.

Ford fan,
have to say with south road ( i drive south road often ) at 6 pm gunning it and the way you describe it, my call is perhaps your in the wrong bud.

DOC
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #21
Damo
Banned

MITCHAY, you're a ********.

The comment about truck drivers being 'drugged up to their eyeballs'.... bah. You won't last long on these forums with your attitude towards everything.

There's no need to respond to this.

Think about what your posting MITCHAY.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 01:29 AM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i didnt say all of them were. sum of them r. and i would like to drive on the road knowin that other drivers arent on drugs. its very unsafe indeed
Old 21-04-2005, 01:33 AM   #23
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Ford fan,
have to say with south road ( i drive south road often ) at 6 pm gunning it and the way you describe it, my call is perhaps your in the wrong bud.

DOC
hey, welcome to the forums... what area do you drive it from?
the slip lane was one coming out of black wood that links up to sturt road, i was heading towards the expressway, the lights at that intersection changed leaving the three lanes clear....
Old 21-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh thats true damo, mitchay stfu, you proberbly wouldnt know the 1st thing about drugs.

do the rightie by trucks and theyll do the rightie by u, dont f*** em around coz they get that much idiots on the road. the drugs are f*** all, its only the long distance drivers that take drugs to stay awake, its not like their trippin or nyfin. id rather a truckie on drugs than asleep at the wheel, coz thats whats gonna happen.

as for round abouts, there was a crash today at a local one. they had a thing on ACA about "should round abouts stay or go". i think their great others disagree, proberbly because they dunno how to use em... the thing that ****es me off is retards who dont know how to indicate or when they fully slow down to a round about and nearly stop when theirs no cars comming. i go off at my mates if they dun indicate properly hahaha and so i should, they didnt get taught properly from their parents.

Last edited by WIKIDSTIX; 21-04-2005 at 01:44 AM.
WIKIDSTIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah bout these round bouts. then u get hoons that constantly go round in circles round them or turn right from the left lane or go straight in the right lane when its directed to b right turn only. i always do that left indictor thingy ur meant to do. i see cops all the time. they barely ever indicate anywhere(form one lanes, roundbouts etc). i think if its illegal for one person its illegal for anutha. im actually curious as to how many cops get busted for not following road rules
Old 21-04-2005, 01:51 AM   #26
FordFan86
meow

here's a quick diagram of how it was, sorry it's late and i haven't had a day of for 5 weeks, 7-9 hours a day so it's not the best...

Last edited by FordFan86; 21-04-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 21-04-2005, 02:00 AM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in regards to the EB. i know ur definately not sposed to move straight into the the right hand lane like that. ur meant to progressively change lanes. id just b happy that u didnt crash, and just keep an eye out in the future.
Old 21-04-2005, 02:15 AM   #28
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
here's a quick diagram of how it was, ..
Fordfan, you can draw as many pics as needed but your still in the wrong bud, and i think you have realised this so best learn from it and help make it a bit safer out there on the roads, even if it was in some way not your fault you should still drive in a way that is looking out for all angles and try to avoid an incident, sounds great chatting about it here online but i could have been nasty all in a split second.

Dont take me wrong it takes some guts to come forward and get some feedback but it will take even more guts to cop it on the chin and learn from it and move forward so i hope you can.

where do i live ?? not important but here's the current beast ( if i can get the pic thingy to work ) if you see me please dont pull out from behind me.

Mitchay as for the truckie thing mate, i have been driving long distance for many years and the best time to travel is at night ( or any time ) with the trucks, they are in general bloody good drivers on the roads. and as for worrying about how many cops get busted its probably best that you focus on yourself and ensure you got it down pat before you point the bone at other people.

DOC
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Mitchay - that is the most sensible post all night.

Old 21-04-2005, 02:20 AM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Fordfan - after looking at that pic, you probably should have waited, but that bloody EB would have got what he deserved if you had have hit him. I only just realised that he was the same EB as the one you said was 4th in line in the slip lane. And he doesn't have the benefit of learning from all this free advice you're getting.

Last edited by JC; 21-04-2005 at 02:23 AM.