Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default XR5 should have been made in auto...

Dear Jesus,

Watch this video and then you will understand why they need to make these in automatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN8b5...elated&search=

Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Erm. I dont get it.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Me neither.

I'm guessing it's because he's constantly changing gears and the car keeps lurching? That's because of the close-ratio box providing short gears. If the guy knew how to blip on downchanges or better still, heel-toe, that would be a much smoother run. Heck, if he even knew how to change at all.

But as to why that video is proof for why the car should have come in auto... please explain. Manual makes it far more enjoyable.

If you want an auto...
Old 25-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
WASP
Whipple Induced

I think he may be referring to the jerking camera filming motion. I feel off now just watching it. As for the drive itself that looks like a fantastic bit or road to be driving a manual XR5 sorry. It's a bit hard to get use to them being on the 'wrong' side of the road but..lol. I kept waiting for the on coming traffic to collect him!
Old 25-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
JD2004

Making an XR5 without it being Manual is just like a male being born without a *****. It would effectively deem the item useless........

OK guys she made me write it :p

Luc
Old 25-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah mitch... not sure you're getting much support here for automatic. Looks more like he'd need a tripod. Manuals are better, faster, more economical, more fun, more direct... pretty much better in every way unless you're driving a rental Camry...

Isn't your Polo GTi an automatic?
Old 25-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default XR5 should have been made in auto.

My point was that the driver CANNOT DRIVE !

he/she is useless lol.

i dont get it, accelerates hard then mid corner changes back a gear, accelerates more, understeer's, accelerates.. changes gear.. approaches another corner, kicks back a gear mid corner, accelerates. :

watching it was making me frustrated and as someone said it was all jerky, made me feel ill :P lol

Polo GTI is Manual, they only come in 5 spd manual :

I hope i encounter some other hot hatches with drivers like that behind the wheel so that i can leave em eating my dust :
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 25-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
My point was that the driver CANNOT DRIVE !:
Your point was XR5's should be made in automatic. That's what your 1st thread says! LOL
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

he cannot drive a manual.. hence it should be made in auto.

FKKKKKKKK thickness majorness :P

Loads of fun :
Old 26-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

One things for sure. I dunno if any of u guys noticed it. He's got poor tyres. They keep squealing for nothing

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 03:56 AM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Hes gettign back on throttle mid corner not changing down a gear you can pick it up on the corners he hesitated on throttle. He downshifts just before corner entry.

Nice bit of road and he needs a tripod. For all we know the camera guy could be a retard (Ask Damo about retard camera men wrecking video).
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Gear

http://fordxr5turbo.com/premiummembe...nhillclimb.wmv

some fun..

http://fordxr5turbo.com/premiummembe...Sessionone.wmv
http://fordxr5turbo.com/premiummembe...Sessiontwo.wmv
http://fordxr5turbo.com/premiummembe...ssionthree.wmv
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great bit of road. He's a very smooth driver NOT. I cant stop thinking he needs to learn to drive properly b4 having a car like that. The amount of times he misses the car's sweet spot with his car changes. :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
j4mes
Starter Motor

lol lets face it the guy is clearly not on a race track or a race track driver.. theres no barriers and for whos sake knows that its prolly his dads car so he is being cautious and doesnt want to write off a $35000+ car by running off the side. his driving like someone whos never driven such a powerful car and is just being over cautious. if you can drive better then this fool congrats but lets face it his in suburbia with live traffic and pedestrians every few 100 metres so i dont see why they being made in auto is a big deal. theres blind spots everywhere too which would explain de celeration and understeer on cornering who knows whats coming the other way..
j4mes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
j4mes
Starter Motor

i think the xr5 coming in a manual only is the best thing ford ever did i find it frustrating when seeing a high performance car other then being used for drag strips or a nice cruiser in auto. and ive seen worst drivers at least he didnt stall. but yeh the drivers carp. just some silly kids out for some fun
j4mes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There has been an alarming trend towards ex-Ford Fiesta owners buying Renaults and VW's lately who seem to be at the centre of most of the 5hitfights lately.

Can we please just get along without people making remarks that risk offending? Melbzetec's reply proves that what you thought you were saying didn't come across how you wanted it to. I read it the same way he did. Sarcasm is almost impossible to convey online, so let's just keep it friendly, informative and keep the flaming to a minimum where it belongs - flaming Toyota drivers.
Old 27-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #17
JD2004

I dont think its the cars that have been purchased but just a few people that love to get hot and heavy on the forums... its great to have a joke and bring humor into things but when things start to get offensive, we should all be mature people and take a step backwards. Clearly we arent all as mature as we should be and this does not cross our minds. Take your fights to messenger or a java based chat room if needs be..

Flaming toyota drivers? dont nock them alright

My $2 worth (its a very valuable opinon alright!!)
Luc
Old 27-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #18
kcbworth

id like an xr5 but cant stand driving a manual after being on an auto for so long...
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #19
BlackLS

LOL at Mr Downshift.

I'd like to see this driver at Bathurst, downshift into 1st for the kink on Conrod Straight.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #20
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

lol !! ^^^ agreed

overuses the gearbox in my opinion. If memory serves me, the xr5 has something like 320nm of torque. very very low down in the rev range.

Its probably not a fire ball at the claimed 1,600 rpm mark... but if left hovering around the 2,500-4,000 mark it would be quite the weapon through those corners.

He does constantly shift down and then just holds the RPM. Bit odd.

Loads of fun :
Old 27-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #21
Blue_ST170

Its great when a car maker gives only a manual option.

Autos just dont cut it in a fast car and paddle shift it not nearly as fun as manual........

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Cant agree more. Manual=Driving; Auto=Transportation

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #23
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The video was a tad confusing, since the title read wrong. The driver not the car, but, wow the XR5 sure has a nice sound inside the cabin! Too bad I can't drive a manual :p
Old 27-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #24
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

no substitute for manual

even if i had bought the Golf GTI theres no way in hell i would have bought DSG

Loads of fun :
Old 27-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ST170
Its great when a car maker gives only a manual option.

Autos just dont cut it in a fast car and paddle shift it not nearly as fun as manual........
Modern autos are faster then manual's at everything.

As for fun, that's your opinion. The most fun I've ever had in a car was in an auto, and I own a manual car and have owned both. The extra fun people deride in manual cars I have failed to.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

As for fun, that's your opinion. The most fun I've ever had in a car was in an auto, and I own a manual car and have owned both. The extra fun people deride in manual cars I have failed to.
You need to try harder :eclipsee_
Old 27-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #27
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
You need to try harder :eclipsee_
I find moving your left hand around and pressing a pedal with your left foot to be quite unexciting.

Driving a very fast car, very fast, on a very good road is far more exciting. Regardless of transmission. Manual, Auto, Sequential, CVT - whatever it has, if its fast, handles well and brakes well, I'm all for it.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #28
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i once had the dilema. i only knew how to drive and Auto. so i wanted an Auto but i also wanted a manual sorta thing. was going to get the Sequential sports shift thingy with a new focus but thought. hmmmmm.....and i thought to myself....

Its just not manual.....so it aint worth it....Hence why you get yourself a small little car like the Fez for a Run around car(or Wifes lol). manual and is so much fun. and have your large car with and Auto....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #29
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
No they arn't.

For Drag Racing in veyr quick cars autos are faster becuase they have quicker shift times. But this is for very quick cars (Like 10seconds or less) otherwise manual wins.

Around a circuit manual will win all day. The DSG is very quick in upshifting but crap on the circuit with slow slow downshifts.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #30
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Another problem with autos is getting off the line.
Something which DSG has been bitched at for not being able to do.

Ive read that the new DSG golf GTI will have launch control so that it can be 'stalled' up off the line.

Ive driven a powerful automatic car (brothers modified 200sx) its FAST, it really scares the crap out of me to put my foot down in that thing. But around corners it lacks that control which a manual gives you.. being able to balance the car with the right amount of rpm through the corner really gives the car an edge.

Loads of fun :