Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #1
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Default Wolfmother!

how good are wolfmother? they are the best current aussie rock band out at the moment, NO the best in the world if you ask me, these guys are gonna be the band u tell u kids about one day (for people my age anyway) they are becoming the accadacca/gunners of our age i reckon.

how were they at the arias! getting ****ed on stage! thats what rock and rolls all about...

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see someone NOT bagging them for once.

Too many 'non-conformist' kids are bagging the band out as being rip offs of sab/zep. Sure, they sound like them in ways.. But they haven't blatently ripped off stuff like some other bands *cough*jet*cough*, lol. And i'd rather hear these guys belting out than some simple greenday/simple plan **** in the 'rock' category these days.

Good on em. I've been a fan since when their EP came out, and the album just continued with some sweet songs.

Them, Karnivool and COG are the best things going around these days in the Aussie see IMO.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #3
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Better than Jet (although that isn't hard), not as good as The Living End though.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 03:44 AM   #4
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

i reckon every song on the album is great
and they have there own sound, they seem to take the guitar to unknown places

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
not as good as The Living End though.
Hmm, not sure where that band is trying to go.. It's a shame their shows are ruined by teeny boppers nowadays though.
Old 30-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Their sound is not totally their own. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent. But their style is pure 70's. Take the time and listen to Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Deep Purple and some Uriah Heep. You'll see where they got inspired. I have the Wolfmother cd, and have for quite a while, as I like their "Old School" sound. :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Good to see someone NOT bagging them for once.

Too many 'non-conformist' kids are bagging the band out as being rip offs of sab/zep. Sure, they sound like them in ways.. But they haven't blatently ripped off stuff like some other bands *cough*jet*cough*, lol. And i'd rather hear these guys belting out than some simple greenday/simple plan **** in the 'rock' category these days.

Good on em. I've been a fan since when their EP came out, and the album just continued with some sweet songs.

Them, Karnivool and COG are the best things going around these days in the Aussie see IMO.
well here i am to ruin the thread.

i CANNOT believe the success that Wolfmother is having?! if i was John Bonham and Jimmy Page (Led Zep) i'd be considering re-releasing songs/albums/box sets to cash in on all these kids buying this crap.

Led Zep are one of my all time favourite bands, and even I have made the mistake of calling a wolfmother song Led Zep, and vice versa. and it annoys me. i had one kid at McDonalds where i work, tell me that "Led Zeppelin are just a rip off of Wolfmother"

i have little respect for these 70's rock rip-off bands. watch Rage at like 1am, every single video clip is of some band doing this same thing. doing this loose washed up 70's rocker stuff. and it frustrates the hell out of me. i'll try as hard as i can to do something different to break into the market, but at the end of the day, all i need to do is take some AC/DC, Led Zep, Deep Purple, a few other bands, throw it all together and mix up some riffs, and voila, ill be in the charts. its BS.

i cold go on longer, but i have work to do :

in reference to the Karnivool and COG commnets. Karnivool are pretty cool. COG on the other hand, when i saw em a couple of weeks ago, i couldnt tell when they stopped playing Tool on the PA and COG had started. granted that, they arnt bad. just not as Original as i would like.

Sunk Loto, are an awesome aussie (hardcore) band. and have gotten some decent success overseas. much better than all the bands above, in terms of musicanship and live show IMO.

BUT at the end of the day, each to their own.

:the_finge
Old 30-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

i CANNOT believe the success that Wolfmother is having?! if i was John Bonham and Jimmy Page (Led Zep) i'd be considering re-releasing songs/albums/box sets to cash in on all these kids buying this crap.

Led Zep are one of my all time favourite bands, and even I have made the mistake of calling a wolfmother song Led Zep, and vice versa. and it annoys me. i had one kid at McDonalds where i work, tell me that "Led Zeppelin are just a rip off of Wolfmother"

i have little respect for these 70's rock rip-off bands. watch Rage at like 1am, every single video clip is of some band doing this same thing. doing this loose washed up 70's rocker stuff. and it frustrates the hell out of me. i'll try as hard as i can to do something different to break into the market, but at the end of the day, all i need to do is take some AC/DC, Led Zep, Deep Purple, a few other bands, throw it all together and mix up some riffs, and voila, ill be in the charts. its BS.

in reference to the Karnivool and COG commnets. Karnivool are pretty cool. COG on the other hand, when i saw em a couple of weeks ago, i couldnt tell when they stopped playing Tool on the PA and COG had started. granted that, they arnt bad. just not as Original as i would like.

Sunk Loto, are an awesome aussie (hardcore) band. and have gotten some decent success overseas. much better than all the bands above, in terms of musicanship and live show IMO.

Well said mate, agreed 100%
Old 30-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

YES!!!.....ive been on to them for ages now(well over a year), i still got their first EP's....although of late that andrew has turned into a bit of a ****a........

i watched a interveiw with the bass player from jet once and he was talkin about how they stay up all night and get drunk for free and take heaps of 'cheap' speed........:
thats the life aye, smashed out of it, and no idea where you are or the time.....
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Wolfmother are great. Yes, they do have influences from LZ & DP but they have added their own fresh sound to it. They're very good live too, I say them at the BDO last year and they blew me away.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
how good are wolfmother? they are the best current Aussie rock band out at the moment, NO the best in the world if you ask me, these guys are gonna be the band u tell u kids about one day (for people my age anyway) they are becoming the accadacca/gunners of our age i reckon.

how were they at the arias! getting ****ed on stage! that's what rock and rolls all about...
Your kidding right. They would have to be the worst bloody band i have ever heard. The lead singer has now power in his voice, heaven forbid he should open his mouth when he sings, the drummer is all over the place and as for the keyboard player well i guess you can see what i think of them, And as for the music, led zep, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were doing that years ago and with a lot more passion than they will ever have. bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
muppet

I am not realy a wolfmother fan but at least it is getting young kids back into playing real musical instruments. However their performance on the arias last night sounded like crap . My wife called me in to have a listen before she changed the channel(because she couldn't stand the singing). That guys voice is just shocking. And as for droping you're instruments on the ground, well I find that to be a bit of a try hard joke.
Dont even get me started on the arias, why dont they have a heavy metal award or punk or classical. They have all these other styles of music but then forget about all the rest. It's a joke as far as I can see .
Old 30-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think they are alright, they are different to everything else that is out there which appeals to me.

Everyone is inspired by someone else, how cares, its not like they are doing covers all the time (I think).

My only complaint about them is their songs lack substance, and repeat to much.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Quote:
how were they at the arias! getting ****ed on stage! thats what rock and rolls all about...
And thanking your mum and kids is pretty hardcore too :sm_headba
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
how good are wolfmother? they are the best current aussie rock band out at the moment, NO the best in the world if you ask me, these guys are gonna be the band u tell u kids about one day (for people my age anyway) they are becoming the accadacca/gunners of our age i reckon...
Let's not get too carried away now. One big album does not a legend make.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Better than Jet (although that isn't hard), not as good as The Living End though.
Was thinking the same thing.
But The Living End aren't consistent. Some songs are great...others are crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody Else
Hmm, not sure where that band is trying to go.. It's a shame their shows are ruined by teeny boppers nowadays though.
Just like The Offspring. They were once good, then they conformed and became totally scheisenhause! Their first album was legendary and from there they went down hill, with Ixnay being the last album that I'll bother with.

Oh, and Stephanie McIntosh should die.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
BlueXr8

i think they are one best the bands at the moment but we will see how their next album goes first and they will never be as good as the Foo Fighters
EF Series2 XR8 Manual - Pacemakers- 2.5inch Exhaust System With Dump Tip- Steeda Short Throw Shifter-Yella Terra Light Weight Non Explodeable Flywheel-Creamic Cushion Button Clutch- Dropped 50mm From The Ground-
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
Rob
Living the dream

Would rather have these kids listen to Wolfmother than that rap sh1te... gangsta for life bruh. What a crock.

I recently have gotten into a big 80's binge.. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Toto, Wang Chung, Kenny Loggins etc.

80s are cool, and it sits alright with my Sevendust/Metallica/Tool/Iron Maiden stuff..
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #19
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
i reckon every song on the album is great
and they have there own sound, they seem to take the guitar to unknown places
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing live at Montserrat.. 10~minutes, probably 7 minutes worth is Mark Knopfler going nuts on his Stratocaster

EDIT: Actually its from the Alchemy albulm I think
Old 30-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #20
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
Let's not get too carried away now. One big album does not a legend make.
Exactly, too many bands put there best up for the first offering. Then fail to back it up. How many times have we seen it? After the second release? Oblivion. Meatloaf never came back with one as good as Bat Out Of Hell IMHO. :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #21
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Your kidding right. They would have to be the worst bloody band i have ever heard. The lead singer has now power in his voice, heaven forbid he should open his mouth when he sings, the drummer is all over the place and as for the keyboard player well i guess you can see what i think of them, And as for the music, led zep, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were doing that years ago and with a lot more passion than they will ever have. bj
YOUR kidding right???

Worst band you have ever heard? Jeezuz.....I guess the 3 ARIAS they won don't mean anything then eh...aside from that...well I guess your taste in music is different from mine...

They are a quality band...but not as good as The Living End? hahaha what a joke!

And there was I thinking most of the people on here had a good ear for good quality modern music...
Old 30-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #22
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

Yeah, but where do you think those 70's bands got their sound from? Even The Beatles ripped their riffs from classic composers. It's all about re-inventing mate. That Sarah song by Eskimo Joe is a complete rip of the never ending story.. Oh yeah by End of Fashion was a rip of the Pixies.. Speaking of the Pixies, where do you think the White Stripes got the riff for 7 Nation Army? It's a COMPLETE rip off of a Pixies track.

The thing is, people can't just go out and see Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath live anymore, and if they could do that, they'd be paying an absolute fortune these days to see a bunch of washed up old rockers who should just give it up (Rolling Stones anyone? As a fan of them, i've being embarrased by some of their later shows). It's a chance for people who love that era of music to keep living it in a live and 'new' way.

A lot of kids didn't get to grow up with Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple etc playing on the radio, and now's their chance to experience some of that. I'd much rather go and see Wolfmother, in an energetic live set, than listen to House of the Holy for the 1000th time in my bedroom again.

Sunk Lotto used to be good.. But IMO Karnivool are MUCH better musicians making better/more original music. And COG have the biggest sound i've EVER heard from a 3 piece act live. I don't think they're that similar to TOOL, sure, you can hear a lot of the influence (tool are one of my favourite bands..), but the vocals are distinct.. and hey. I'd much rather pay $15 bucks and go see COG a few times, than $100 or whatever to be stuck at a concert surounded by typical 'Tool - non conformist, i'm different from everyone but doing the same thing as Maynard and everyone else at this damn show' type people.

Meh.

And, and PS. My mate is old friends with Chris (bass/keys) from Wolfmother, and they never set out to be the next big thing, or some rip off 70's band. They were just playing the music THEY loved and happened to get famous from it. People should just enjoy the music they love to play and be thankful someone has good taste in music these days (much rather kids listening to wolfmother than 'fiddy' cent etc).
Old 30-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I don't want to hijack the thread....so I will say that a few of Wolfmother's songs aren't particularly exciting - Joker and the Thief is pretty boring, but I do like Woman and their first single.

Quote:
I do know what you mean. I love the way they play their music, but the teenys are a bad influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
But The Living End aren't consistent. Some songs are great...others are crap.
Again, I know what you mean. I do like plenty of the songs on their new album, and I liked plenty on their previous albums, but in terms of all around listen-ability the self-titled one is still their best, IMO.

They really need air-time though, they can't seem to get on mainstream radio enough.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #24
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do know what you mean. I love the way they play their music, but the teenys are a bad influence.
Heh, last good show I probably saw was Living End and Dallas Crane at the Palace (it was starting to get bad before that though).. After that and the new album release, I can't stand seeing them live at times. And they WERE my favourite live act.
Old 30-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #25
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
And as for droping you're instruments on the ground, well I find that to be a bit of a try hard joke.
Dont even get me started on the arias, why dont they have a heavy metal award or punk or classical.
Funny you say trashing instruments is a try hard joke when 90% of metal is just cheesey (watch out! Satan might get you!) and punk died loooooong ago =P

Just playin'.. But seriously ing_sm
Old 30-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #26
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing live at Montserrat.. 10~minutes, probably 7 minutes worth is Mark Knopfler going nuts on his Stratocaster

EDIT: Actually its from the Alchemy albulm I think
NOW THAT..... is MUSIC... :
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
biomechanic
Freudian Slippers

I'm beginning to become concerned that the "best" Australia has produced this year is Wolfmother, Jet, Rogue Traders, and The Veronicas. Besides being derivative, none of them have a unique Australian quality - unlike bands such as The Drones, who in my opinion are the best thing to happen to Australian music since Paul Kelly.

If you like those bands, then good on ya, but I'd strongly urge you (if you don't already) to look beneath the surface and get down to your local pub and see some of the quality local talent going around - don't stick to one genre either, I've been to some amazing post-rock gigs in the past 2 years in Melbourne, which is a genre I'd never cared for before.

// JMM "Street Fighter" Headers
// JMM 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust
// JMM Ignition Leads
// JMM Hi-Performance Valve Springs
// Mandrel bent intake
// K&N Pod Filter
// 17" x 8" GT wheels
// 130+ rwkw
biomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #28
ShawnN20
camaro guy

i like the wolfmother songs i hear....even all the way up here.

jet is okay, they are way overplayed up here.

i have never heard of the living end, and i listen to alot of music through my satelitte radio....10 hours everyday with headphones on. (i work in a loud factory, so i wear hearing protection with a built in radio)
1979 Ford Mustang. 331,boost,spray.
1992 Plymouth Laser. AWD turbo, 5 speed <daily driver
ShawnN20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #29
muppet

Quote:
Funny you say trashing instruments is a try hard joke when 90% of metal is just cheesey (watch out! Satan might get you!) and punk died loooooong ago =P

Just playin'.. But seriously ing_sm
Didn't you're mommy tell you there are starving kiddies in Africa that could use those instruments lol.
I just dont like seeing people brake stuff I would rather see them give it to someone.
If you think all metal is all about satan then you dont realy listen to much of it do you .
And I will tell all my mates who play in punk bands arround newcastle that they better stop playing at the pubs and clubs every weekend and give up.
I thought that 70's rock was dead too , but here we are listening to it again.
Old 30-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #30
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
NOW THAT..... is MUSIC... :

Amen.