Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Default Au Lsd

Which au's got LSD's?
Did the AU3 XL SE utes get them?

Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this may help, http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=669&page=1
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

I had to option one on my series 3 xr8 ute when l brought it new so l highly doubt it would be std on an xl se unless the owner optioned it also.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on second thought, stick your head under the back of it and have a look on the diff...if it's lsd they usually have either a stamp or sticker saying lsd on them
Old 16-10-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I always say if you have to ask you haven't got one.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

I knew my dif wasn't but i wasn't sure if it was an option or not, thanks for clearing that up guys.

is there a thread somewhereon the pros and cons of an LSD?
Old 16-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure on a thread, put a pro of it is no more one wheeled burnouts lol
Old 16-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Its all pros, i put one in my car because being manual, it just wanted to spin the one tyre if you were tring to pull out into a small gap in traffic or u-turns etc... thats probly the only sensible pro to an LSD, but is very helpful.
Id say the only con is the price.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

what does one in good nick go for?
or even new price?
Old 17-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
on second thought, stick your head under the back of it and have a look on the diff...if it's lsd they usually have either a stamp or sticker saying lsd on them
If you have one it will have a yellow sticker on the top lefthand side. If that is worn off it will have a metal tag on the other side of the diff. Look at jonbays post LOL so true.
Old 17-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
If you have one it will have a yellow sticker on the top lefthand side. If that is worn off it will have a metal tag on the other side of the diff. Look at jonbays post LOL so true.
true i guess...but what if the lsd is rooted? u may have one, doesn't it'll work properly
Old 17-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found the car I had with LSD wore the rear rubber a bit quicker. And no it was not doing burnouts!
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you are driving in slippery conditions alot ... and LSD could be a little dangerous though ... Orbit it just depends on your driving ... but i guess on some dirty roads it could be a bit hairy (but that comes down to your right foot too) .... and it could be fun as well ... LOL.

I have found when loaded up in the wet ... especially on corners ... or turning out of intersections ... a single-spinner has saved me a few times (especially in traffic).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Thanks mechanik.
I do drive in slippery conditions alot...but i've driven other cars with LSD's in the same conditions with out too much drama. No doubt you hve to adjust your driving style a little, but i think there are some definate benefits.
I'll have to have a bit more a of a think and get some prices.
Old 17-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
I found the car I had with LSD wore the rear rubber a bit quicker. And no it was not doing burnouts!
it probably seems a bit that way because it keeps both wheels spinning the same speed, especially when cornering...if you think, with a single spinner, if you took say 2 left hand corners and 1 right hand corner, the right hand tyre would have to turn faster to cover the distance of the corner, same with the right turn, the left one would...whereas with an lsd, both tyres spin at the same speed, therefore wearing sort of more evenely i guess...

from what i understand that's how it works anyway
Old 17-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no bodes-sh.. when turning corners they both wheels dont turn the same speed.. it works just like a diff... thats why its called a differential... the inside wheel is meant to spin less so cornering is made easier.. the situation u are describing is it a welded diff or spool.. where both spin the same.
LSD's are limited slip...they are designed to stop wheel spin. they dont create it. its just that when they are hammered around corners and the wheels spin, both spin at the same rate.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bodes: I know how a diff works and you are half right. As Baboon said it doesn't lock the wheels straight away, it only locks them once one wheel is spinning a certain amount more than the other
It will lock them on tight corners, u-turns etc hence yes the rears wear out quicker

They are much safer that's for sure, it's a bit harder to break traction and if one wheel does lose traction then the other one will grab, that's a pro

Another con is that losers leave 2 marks on the corner by my house instead of 1.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post