Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Additives Anyone

Hi guys,

Does anyone use additives for fuel, oil and other fluids etc? If yes what? Do products such as Slick 50 really work, or is it just malarky? :

Do gearbox and diff additives work? :

Is it really worth the money? :

What's your experience shown you? :

What proof is there in the pudding?

George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

Yep i use the nulon pro strenght octane booster in the XC with BP ultimate and it works. I use to run it on AV-GAS as the car run 12.5.1 comp and now i dont need to. When i first read about it i thought it was a load of cr*p but i have uesed 3 tanks full and so far it has run cooler idles better and have picked up 15 extra HP so it cant be that bad. The only thing is that you have to make sure that you mix it as pr the instructions one bottel dose 60 lt.

Last edited by BJ; 05-04-2005 at 05:20 PM.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I ran about 6 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in my tank a few weeks ago.And it worked but fully blocked 1 injector.

What do you mean it worked if an injector got blocked? Have I misread what you posted?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used slick50 in every motor I have ever owned and yes it does work...

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

All work like a placebo if it makes u feel good do it.

Not much science in the before and after tested facts here in most additives just a lot of chemistry bs

most just don't do anything really useful to your engines performance or wear characteristics.

Of course it not all snake oil just most of it you find in auto shops is.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
BJ
Banned

All work like a placebo if it makes u feel good do it.

Not much science in the before and after tested facts here in most additives just a lot of chemistry bs

What makes you say that i have tryed a lot of them over the years at my worshop and i know the nulon stuff works.

most just don't do anything really useful to your engines performance or wear characteristics.

I have seen proof on my own dyno, my car whent from 407 rwhp to 422 rwhp so i have seen the results.

Of course it not all snake oil just most of it you find in auto shops is.

I wil agree thatsome of the stuff that is sold is uter rubbish but that dosnt mean that they all are.

Last edited by BJ; 05-04-2005 at 11:00 PM.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

I was under the impression teflon etc clogs up oil filters etc.
Other than that i use roil & nf nitrous formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Where did you get this info from? Is it hearsay or do you know of a report of some kind?

Has anyone else heard about the teflon thing?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #9
SVR73
Mr Polish

Did use redline SI 1 fuel system cleaner for a few years. Made a difference in throttle response. Have used BP ultimate and optimax for a fair while and won't go back to normal unleaded
Haven't used additives anywhere else, I just use redline and fuchs lubricants throughout the car(except brake fluid as that's dot5.1)
Having top quality lubricants in the car has really helped and I don't see the need for using additives in the diff, gearbox etc but each car is different and if your using additives and are getting good results, that's great
Old 06-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
chippa6
Novice Professional

I spoke to the guys at injector services here up on the coast. he owns a au xr6 and said that the best thing to do is run optimax - no need for additives and he said DO NOT EVER get an injector clean done on these engines as the result is often worse than when it went in.

By the way a bit off topic but on his AUIII xr6 he has a lot of BA bits like new 17" XR6 rims - different spoiler, badging - and he said it was only a few months before the BA came out. he said that these "BA Extras" came standard. just wondering if anyone else has been lucky enough to get any goodies on their AUIII xr6 or 8

Cheers
DC
Old 06-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #11
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
I use Roil in the Clevo and it does keep engine heat down.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
AU_Wagin

I have used Morey's UCL in most of my cars since new, never had a head off any of them to see, but one car I sold, an AU1 V8 Wagon, did have the heads off to do major head work looked stunningly clean and almost deposit free after 160,000 - so the new owner told me

I just squirt in with fuel, not have the fancy auto dispensor ( dont even no what one looks like )

Ray
AU_Wagin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Question

What makes you say that i have tryed a lot of them over the years at my worshop and i know the nulon stuff works.

Which Nulon product are you referring to?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Wagin
I have used Morey's UCL in most of my cars since new, never had a head off any of them to see, but one car I sold, an AU1 V8 Wagon, did have the heads off to do major head work looked stunningly clean and almost deposit free after 160,000 - so the new owner told me

I just squirt in with fuel, not have the fancy auto dispensor ( dont even no what one looks like )

Ray
My wagon is on gas, Tickford setup, but it buggered up the head and the converter. The converter was pretty rough, so I was told and also unservicable. Put a new one on that's adjustable and easy to clean and replace bits on. Also installed, Flashlube UCL kit with the new head. Anyone else use Flashlube?

There are of course so many UCL's on the market, I wonder how you'd work out which one is the most effective?

Last edited by GK; 07-04-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Slick
Starter Motor

I use "militec-1" metal conditioner in my XLS ute. develop and used by US defence department. great stuff!!
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post