Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Front Bar skid plate?

So, have any of you ingenious people come up with a way to prevent scraping the bottom of your front bar whilst accelerating to avoid a reversing 4wd and hitting the spoon drain faster than you'd planned, whilst visiting Bunnings?

Damn! Things only been on a week...

Anyhoo, I'm trying to work out a way of minimising future mishaps. Maybe an aluminium skid plate, shaped and rivetted on? (Downside may be that a decent scrape will tear the plate and rivets off the bar?)

Maybe a rubber strip, glued to the bottonm of the bar?

Maybe just mask the offending section and paint it flat black whenever mishaps occur?

Ideas?

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #2
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honk your horn instead!
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Abacus
Life's a Gas

This is where you need a sawn off sitting handy on the passenger seat. Blow out the pig's back window. That'll wake him up.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^lol yeah that or something like what's in your avatar, honking the horn doesn't always work anyway because the driver might not know that they're the one being beeped at
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
alpineau

not trying to take over the thread but i would like to hear if any one has a solution to the above problem. Ive only had my kit on the car 2 months and scraped both the back and the front bar badly - bloody townsville driveways
CURRENT - 2009 FG G6E BLUE 6 SPEED AUTO
alpineau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's probably 2 options, 1 jack up the suspension to it has more ride height, 2 go slower/take driveways at about a 10 degree angle so it doesn't scape
Old 11-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

...it's not that low. A standard XR would have scraped at the speed I hit the drain.

I think I measured the diff between the standard ghia bar and the Brumby bar and the B bar is only around 25mm lower (maybe 30mm - can't remember).

I'm thinking that I'll mask it off and paint the underneath pan of the bar flat black (it's only underneath that scraped).

At least then it's a simple job to getting rid of tell-tale abrasions if I scrape it again.

edit: you were probably answering alpineau's post, lol.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats probably the best option, unfortunately there's not much that can be done to avoid scrapes apart from possibly stiffening the suspension up a bit, but then you also lose ride comfort

lol, well it was sort of directed at both posts, that's cool