Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default AU Wing broken at mounting screws.

On my car the wing has cracked where the feet meet the boot, specifically the underside of the feet at the part that holds the mounting screws. So the wing is coming off the car. I've removed it to avoid it coming off entirely and causing havoc.

I need to find an au falcon xr6 series 1 wing. Black if possible. Not the dual plane type that was an option but the standard wing. Either that or seeing about getting it repaired somehow.

Anybody have one laying around? Or have had similar happen?

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
Anybody have one laying around?
Gen-you-wine AU spoilers are like hens teeth. I looked for one for a sensible price for ages, and gave up. A few companies are making repros, but they are mainly fibreglass, from what I can gather.

I can pretty much guarantee not too many people will "have one lying around". Fern Tree Gulley might be your best bet.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
On my car the wing has cracked where the feet meet the boot, specifically the underside of the feet at the part that holds the mounting screws. So the wing is coming off the car. I've removed it to avoid it coming off entirely and causing havoc.

I need to find an au falcon xr6 series 1 wing. Black if possible. Not the dual plane type that was an option but the standard wing. Either that or seeing about getting it repaired somehow.

Anybody have one laying around? Or have had similar happen?
Yep, I had the same thing with mine. It's from using the spoiler as a boot opener. Would be cheaper (almost) to get the holes filled, or get a new wing from AWC (fibreglass).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Well, I never used the spolier as a boot opener and I know my wife didnt. Always, always opened the boot via the ford badge area.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Burley
CRE.87V

mate i got an xr6 series 1....just had the holes in my boot filled up so im selling the spoiler....its galaxy blue in colour....just had painted with new gaskets on....make an offer....im from newcastle
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
beaky41
AUII Fairmont Ghia

not sure if au1 but
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-AU-REAR-...QQcmdZViewItem
beaky41 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

dont really have to be using them as handles for your bootlid.

A lot do this, its just the plastic becoming brittle after years in the sun. This is the main reason we mould most of the simple factory wings and bobtails as they all start to deteriorate and you cant get them from Ford any more. Main reason why we moulded the AU1 classic bobtail, not a particularly inspiring thing but they are all falling apart and with these particular bolt holes used you cant use any other wing and cover the existing holes.....
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
Rfordsfun

Default Re: AU Wing broken at mounting screws.

My AU2 wing cracked as a boot handle (previous owners) and some one also had a go at removing it late at night -.- Trying to remount repair, but the best way was to remove the bolts, seal the cracks etc, from the inside pour some good glue inside and the best method of securing a brittle wing(spoiler) I found is using cable ties, 1 in the wing fed through both holes, using a bent paper clip to retrieve the feed out end, and another cable tie, to lash it to the boot lid. a 69 of cable ties. best its been in years hope this saves someone all the bs of trying to refit bolts in a brittle wing
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfordsfun View Post
My AU2 wing cracked as a boot handle (previous owners) and some one also had a go at removing it late at night -.- Trying to remount repair, but the best way was to remove the bolts, seal the cracks etc, from the inside pour some good glue inside and the best method of securing a brittle wing(spoiler) I found is using cable ties, 1 in the wing fed through both holes, using a bent paper clip to retrieve the feed out end, and another cable tie, to lash it to the boot lid. a 69 of cable ties. best its been in years hope this saves someone all the bs of trying to refit bolts in a brittle wing
Cable ties...really!
All is well 'til THEY get brittle, snap, & drop your wing on someones windscreen at 100kph!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Spurious

Ummm, news flash people, FALCONS DON'T NEED SPOILERS!!!

Unless you travel everywhere at 200kph or regularly hit the race track, you simply don't need one. Why they were fitted in factory beats the hell outta' me!

Same 'ol same 'ol, when I got my AU2 the rear wing was cracked at the base. The thing was 2mm thick & made from fibreglass.

As I quickly learned, telling people NOT to lift the boot lid by placing hands under the wing was pointless. Plus the stress caused by simply closing the boot jars the wing & causes fatigue!

When I resprayed my car, I deleted the wing & filled the holes. Problem solved fo' eva!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
Rfordsfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Ummm, news flash people, FALCONS DON'T NEED SPOILERS!!!

Unless you travel everywhere at 200kph or regularly hit the race track, you simply don't need one. Why they were fitted in factory beats the hell outta' me!

Same 'ol same 'ol, when I got my AU2 the rear wing was cracked at the base. The thing was 2mm thick & made from fibreglass.

As I quickly learned, telling people NOT to lift the boot lid by placing hands under the wing was pointless. Plus the stress caused by simply closing the boot jars the wing & causes fatigue!

When I resprayed my car, I deleted the wing & filled the holes. Problem solved fo' eva!!!
I'd say the cable ties are stronger than the spoiler. and who doesn't drive 200km/h everywhere? you dont need a wing cos your ford is red, and we all know that goes faster. even in the driveway. I need a replacement meteorite boot anyway, and why would your spoiler fly off at 50km/h. epic.
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im on the look out for one as well liquid silver S2, i threw some railway sleepers in the trailer and carefully drove 6 k`s and down the most nasty driveway, got all the way home then caught a sleeper on spoiler backing in an easy driveway, its still holding but its well cactus .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post