Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Chris
AFF.com.au

Default Great White Shark Encounter - True Story

I thought I would share with you guys a story about a fishing experience my little brother had off Lakes entrance on the weekend.

Ben and his mate took off from lakes entrance early, they were approx 8k offshore. The guys were catching mostly school shark, which were all too small to keep, so they had to keep throwing them back.

After about 4 hours of fishing, the boys were ready to pack it in. The would the reels in, and went to pull the sea anchor in. A sea anchor is a large parachute style bag that sits in the water and controls the rate of drift.

Unbeknowns to the boys, there was a 3rd member watching this take place. A monster great white came from nowhere and grabbed the sea anchor, and gently pulled the boat (17foot haines) backwards.

The guys were rightly sh*tting themselves at this point.

The shark moved around the boat quietly, and eyed the lads off.

My brother said "it was the biggest thing i have ever seen, it looked like a ****ing submarine, it was bigger than the boat".

I was lucky enough to be able to measure several different teeth marks on the remains of the sea anchor, and 3 different experts esimated the sharks length of 16ft minimum, to 19ft.

The shark is lucky Ben is ok, if it had hurt him, i would have tracked it down and whooped its ***. Seriously though, it raises some questions.

Are these big whites becoming more and more prevalent?

How many "missing persons" are the result of unreported shark attatcks?

Should we be killing the barstards?

Is the overfishing of our waters causing the sharks to look for alternative prey?

Do the SA Great white cage dive companies agitate sharks by showing them divers in cages?

Im just happy that Ben is OK, seriously, if the shark wanted to, it could have ripped the back off the boat.

Pls discuss......

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
gww64

Have heaps of mates who are fishing nuts up here in NTH QLD. Have heard numerous accounts of huge sharks that are bigger than the boats theey are fishing in. Have an understanding. I don`t go into their kitchen and the : y don`t come into mine
gww64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Kill all the bastard$ .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Chris
AFF.com.au

Yeah, Fair point, Ben was shaking when he called me! Half scared, but he said adrenalin kicked in.

Best part is, that it was the other blokes first time on a boat!! He claims he wont be back on one anytime soon lol
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

I was the same when i saw my first shark.
Having lived inland all my life and heading out with friends for the first time was a great adventure.
We were diving off a nearby reef , having a great day until we saw a massive tiger shark.
Made me feel irrelevant in comparison and ive learnt to keep an eye in the back of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
gozza

How is the shark a bastard?
You gotta remember whose domain it is...
Sharks shouldn't be killed for attacking people in the water either...
They are predators....its what they do

The thing is humans live under a perception that animal sacriface for the good of man is acceptable and makes it alright..
If you go fishing or swimming in the ocean you should know that its there domain
not ours
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

My Uncle got killed by a shark. I see absolutely no relevance in killing the shark though, all its doing is eating because it is hungry. Oh no, somebody got Malaria overseas from a mozzie, and died, so we must take on an eradication plan to kill all the mosquitos in the world so this atrocitie never happens again. Grow up guys, all we can do is take all precauttions when we are in areas that we know sharks frequent, ie. The Ocean.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate I been thinking about this lately due to so many shark sighting/attacks lately and being a surfer, my opinion is the comercial fishermen are catching so many fish out in the deep waters these days these big sharks which normally hang in the currents alone the contential shelf way off shore are coming in closer to shore due to less prey further out to sea.
I dont know about killing them just yet but then again us humans kill everything anyway lol but it is becoming a bit of a worry especially for us surfers just aint fun surfing if you have in the back of your head thinking about a giant bus with teeth possibly lurking underneath you.
Rember the stats with shark related deaths way more of a chance getting killed by a car.

Chris I had a similar story years ago fishing off Broken bay in a 18ft quintrex with my brother and a couple of his mates i was only young (about 12yrs old) and had a 50 pound line off the back tied around the bollard something took the line draged the bout backwards (water coming over back transom) and eventally snapped the line we ИИИИ our selves pulled up ancor and went in, some older fishermen said that was a big shark we had a fair idea as to the power in the drag.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Been 2 fatalities in Adelaide over the past 2 years at 2 of Adelaides most popular beaches.....Glenelg and Brighton and not very far off shore....think one was less than a 100 meters.

Heaps of stories and photos of people fishing not far of shore and having Great Whites nudge boats...I think it is mainly curiosity though. I suppose when we swim in their domain it is the chance we take however I think in Adelaide given its record of shark fatalities there is a case for netting.

There was also an article in the paper last week over here about some guys that caught a 3 meter Bronze Whaler at the end of Brighton jetty.

To answer your question shagger.....no I don't think we should kill them. Regardless of what they do, they are a magnificent animal.

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Rember the stats with shark related deaths way more of a chance getting killed by a car.....

or me getting a 12 second timeslip :yeees:

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Been 2 fatalities in Adelaide over the past 2 years at 2 of Adelaides most popular beaches.....Glenelg and Brighton and not very far off shore....think one was less than a 100 meters.

Heaps of stories and photos of people fishing not far of shore and having Great Whites nudge boats...I think it is mainly curiosity though. I suppose when we swim in their domain it is the chance we take however I think in Adelaide given its record of shark fatalities there is a case for netting.

There was also an article in the paper last week over here about some guys that caught a 3 meter Bronze Whaler at the end of Brighton jetty.

To answer your question shagger.....no I don't think we should kill them. Regardless of what they do, they are a magnificent animal.
Brad I have sailed off Adelaide one time fell out the back of the boat about a km out (know about adelaides waters) I was almost running on water to get back in my boat.
Over in Streaky bay SA and around that area there have been some of the knarliest shark attacks on surfers in australian history.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
or me getting a 12 second timeslip :yeees:
LOL.....Have faith in your self Brad!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #13
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:

I know there was a 9' shark caught off the Rosebud Pier about a month to six weeks ago, I was working down there the night it happened. Couple of blokes from work went down the pier to have a look.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

sharks taste nice with chips.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Good to hear he is ok Chris. I'd hate to be that shark right now. That thing sounds huge!
These things are basically a perfect killer. However they don't go for human, they just go for the shape. There eye-sight sucks, so they just see a dark shape and think it's food.
Good to hear that ya bro is alright, hope they get that particular shark. would go nice with some tartar sauce and chips!

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Great White's are a protected species, as they no longer exist in the large numbers they used to.

Sharks by nature are scavengers, preying on young/injured/sick/slow/dead 'food'. A human in a black wet suit probably looks like an injured seal. A surfboard floating on top of the ocean probably looks like a great big fish that can't properly swim anymore - easy food. But then, they never really know if something is edible until they bite it, which is why they are often chomping on surfboards, sea anchors, etc. Can't blame an animal for following it's primal instincts.

But I would probaly agree commercial fishing is a factor in increased shark attacks near the coast - for two reasons. The first, that they are diminishing the amount of food in the sea, has already been mentioned. But if you remember that they are more scavenger types, then the unwanted waste that fishing boats that throw back into the water near the coast probably acts like a kind of burley for sharks.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #17
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to hear your brother is ok :1syellow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Should we be killing the barstards?
Definately not. As a race, we're raping this planet enough as it is.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Glad to hear your brother only had a scare and not worse. I've heard of Mako's going "rank" and thrashing the crap out of a boat, after they were hooked of course. But unless you've got an allmighty outfit, your not gonna pull in a Great White.
That said, anyone see the special on Great Whites on Foxtel where that South African bloke was travelling the main Great White areas and filming the sharks "predation strikes"? Basically they filmed some whites hitting a dummy seal off S.Africa, then travelled to California and S.Aust. to see if the sharks there would act the same. Awesome viewing. Takes some power to get a 4-5 metre shark a full metre above the water with a seal in it's mouth.
I always wonder about people who go fishing in croc rivers with just a dinghy....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

No we shouldn't kill them as has been said it's us taking a risk and going into their domain, just like if you jump in a river full of Croc's, although this does make me think twice about jumping in the water down at lakes next time im there or anywhere neer it...

Quote:
That said, anyone see the special on Great Whites on Foxtel where that South African bloke was travelling the main Great White areas and filming the sharks "predation strikes"? Basically they filmed some whites hitting a dummy seal off S.Africa, then travelled to California and S.Aust. to see if the sharks there would act the same. Awesome viewing. Takes some power to get a 4-5 metre shark a full metre above the water with a seal in it's mouth.
I saw that was amazing seeing a 5M over 1 M out of the water!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Thats a scary situation to be in, i can only imagine what this would look like from a few feet away.

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #21
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

There is just an eerie coldness to sharks eyes - don't you think... ? Just look at how horrible and mean and uncaring its eye looks... I am not a huge fan of the ocean... don't mind the odd boat trip but wouldn't do anything too risky...

Glad your brother is OK and I agree it is not our place to kill the shark - it is just doing what it is intended to do. Man is the one that keeps getting in the way of the wild, taking their food sources, destroying their environments and then we act like it is a great surprise that they attack... Why should we take vengeance against an animal? - the logic of that is just beyond me.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #22
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I reckon the guys in the Haines are lucky buggers !!!

I'm jealous of their experience, and believe that when on the water you assume (intentionally or not) the risks associated with being at sea. Be it boat / engine failure, swamping, drowning, or generally having a real hard time. It is a punishing environment.

Ive been a commercial fisherman and am a mad keen offshore gamefisherman as well. I average around 300 hrs at sea a year recreationally....
Ive seen big sharks, hell I go out breleying for them on the continental shelf to catch them. Many released, some due to their size... too big to handle, and when the tucker box is full.

My thoughts in response to those that would hunt em down and kill em all is this. Should every black and brown bear, big cat, waterbuffalo, copper head snake, redback and crock be exterminated due to its inherent risk to human safety ?? Ofcourse not, thats absurd and so to is the notion of killing great whites because they interact with humans when humans chose to put themselves in their environment.

Your brothers were lucky, they saw something truely awe inspiring, that most will NEVER experience in their sheltered lives, watching like voyuers from the comfort of the arm chair.

And yes it is very good that all are ok !

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #23
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Kill all the bastard$ .....
Why?, they are the king of the sea, only doing what comes naturally and they should be protected!!.
It sh-ts me no end when I hear stuff like that after some poor person has just been mauled to death. What do they do?, send an inflatable out going 'shoo sharkie' go away from the shore now pls!. At the end of the day they are just 'fish with teeth' pure and simple. 'But they perform an important role' some say, 'keeping the oceans clean', so what, clean of what? smaller fish can do the same job just at half the pace.
If attacks are increasing despite the fact they are slow to breed, bla bla bla, it only means there numbers are on the rise. When crocs become pests or stray into the wrong areas they are managed, culled etc. Why cant the same apply to a shark that kills just off the beach?.
I can only say, IF it happened to anyone in my family payback would be coming, laws or no laws. The only good man eater is a dead man eater.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
My Uncle got killed by a shark. I see absolutely no relevance in killing the shark though, all its doing is eating because it is hungry. Oh no, somebody got Malaria overseas from a mozzie, and died, so we must take on an eradication plan to kill all the mosquitos in the world so this atrocitie never happens again. Grow up guys, all we can do is take all precauttions when we are in areas that we know sharks frequent, ie. The Ocean.
I thought we had an eradication plan to rid the world of mozzies??
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I've always worked on the principle that sharks don't run up George St eating people... I stay away from the water, they stay off the land, everyone's happy...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #26
buickman
buickman

I'am a landsman I get seasick on the end of piers. So noway will I die by shark attack. Unless a areoplane I'am on crashes onto the ocean.
That would of been a scary situation but they do deserve to live in their domain
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #27
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
I thought we had an eradication plan to rid the world of mozzies??
Mosquito's are actually the animal that kills most humans per year, wouldnt be a bad idea!

Good to hear Ben is ok too Chris
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
You just want to jump in and hug the bastard don't ya?

When I die I want to come back as one. Dolphins may be smart, but pointy teeth win every time.

Last edited by Psycho Chicken; 07-03-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #29
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Cute little things sharks, remind me of treasurers a bit.

Here at Lake Macquarie, south of Newcastle we have em, to quote from Lake Mac Council of a swim event:

"While the day was a huge success, it was disappointing to note the reduction in numbers of people taking part this year. Feeling was that this was mostly due to increased media coverage of shark sightings in Lake Macquarie and the organisers went to considerable lengths to watch for risks, particularly with the use of the Westpac Rescue helicopter patrolling the area. It was unfortunate for organisers who had put so much time and effort into the event.

I want to encourage people not to lose perspective when it comes to the recent shark sightings. There have always been sharks in Lake Macquarie, however due to the improving water quality and health of the lake along with the cessation of commercial fishing these sightings seem to be increasing".

See this:
http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/mag/50/TheBullShark.htm

AND this current forum link:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/t...TOPIC_ID=15425

Picture - Historical find: I say BULL SHARK
http://www.lakemac.infohunt.nsw.gov....6/lak03605.htm
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 07-03-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

If a shark is spotted, we could put up safety triangles to warn swimmers.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post