Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Unhappy Car withdrawal help

Help please, I'm suffering from car withdrawal!!
My job has moved into the city (Sydney) and now I get the pleasure of a bus trip to and from work 5 days a week.
No more daily trips in mu AU.
Any suggestions on how to cope from LODMAU?
(Lack Of Driving My AU)

Uncle_Ken :

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i hear you mate, havent had my cars to drive for 3 months

and both of them have been off teh road more than on teh road in teh past 2 years, so yer i sorta got used to walkin, but now i enjoy every single minute i get in the please of driving them
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Don't mention walking please...I even volunteered to go shopping with the good wife just so I could go for a spin.. Sad ain't?
Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 26-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Don't mention walking please...I even volunteered to go shopping with the good wife just so I could go for a spin.. Sad ain't?
Uncle_Ken
Maaaate,

I have the same sort of problem with my little girl, except that I have to travel a lot for my job (Exploration geologist) and whenever I am away I am driving either diesel 4WD's or Avis crappydoors or worse.

As I am sitting there listening to the roar of the engine, whilst the wheels slowly turn :the_finge ... I am always thinking of my little blue girl and it just makes the return home that much sweeter...... :voldar02:

But because of this I have now taken to cruising the freeways of Perth late at night..... for no other reason than because I want to...... sad I know but I have to admit it...... I am addicted :voldar02:

cheers from a fellow addict.

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Help please, I'm suffering from car withdrawal!!
My job has moved into the city (Sydney) and now I get the pleasure of a bus trip to and from work 5 days a week.
No more daily trips in mu AU.
Any suggestions on how to cope from LODMAU?
(Lack Of Driving My AU)

Uncle_Ken :
Wat about drive a few km's to a bus stop a little bit further away?

I work in the citi (Adelaide) i drive in & pay $8.50 a day to park just to make me feel betta how much does it cost to park a day in Sydney/Melbourne etc

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Come out and see the new house out at Kurrajong ... hee hee
It's a nice drive ... LOL

I don't know if i could cope again without a car ... there was a time my car was off the road for 18 mnoths and I used public transport ... it was torture.

I hate even having my car in for service and not being able to drive .... when it's serviced I try to be there to do some of the work on my car as well .... as I don't really get that withdrawl as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Wat about drive a few km's to a bus stop a little bit further away?

I work in the citi (Adelaide) i drive in & pay $8.50 a day to park just to make me feel betta how much does it cost to park a day in Sydney/Melbourne etc
OK. I am luck in that the bus starts at where I live (Castle Hill) so I get a seat. I could 'meet' it part way and save on bus fair but people who get on at that stop never get a seat.

Cost?
To travel by car round trip using tollways is $10.00 a day return. Parking opposite where I work is $50 a week, trip time 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending when I leave oh plus $30-40 LPG for the week.
By bus its $54 a week, around 1 to 1/2 hours depending on traffic again.
Arr life in the big smoke, you just can't beat it.

Uncle_Ken
PS I'm in a good mood cause I just drove my AU
Old 26-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:

Cost?
To travel by car round trip using tollways is $10.00 a day return. Parking opposite where I work is $50 a week, trip time 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending when I leave oh plus $30-40 LPG for the week.
By bus its $54 a week, around 1 to 1/2 hours depending on traffic again.
Arr life in the big smoke, you just can't beat it.

Is this right????
$54 bucks a week to ride a smelly overcrowded bus to work ????? That means that you spend over $2500 a year just to get to work, and 600 hour a year riding a bus both to and from work ! My god I am glad I dont live in the big city.

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have to drive to work ... also Optus have decided the dayshift don't need parking under the building anymore ... so we have to find parking in Chatswood (as if that's going to happen) ... so now I have to had a 20 minute walk to work from the nearest "unrestricted parking area".

My trip to work is 75km one way (give or take a few kms).

Management suggested i take public transport to work (absolutely clueless idiots that need to be made redundant)
If I took public transport to work I'd need to get up at 3-3:15am in the morning ... leave home around the 4am mark ...drive to Richmond station and catch the 4:40am train ... which only just gets me into work at 6:50am at Chatswood.

But that time I am buggered .. then i do a minimum of a 12 hour shift ... then catch the 7:20pm train and get back to Richmond station around 8:30 (more than likely 9pm though) .... then drive home (if my car hasn't been stolen that is from the nearest parking i can find) ... I'd be home around 9:30pm-ish ... have dinner and a shower and finally get to bed (ie: walk in the door and not stop and sit down) ... it'd be around 10:30-11pm that I'd hope to get to sleep.

And then get up at 3am to start the day all over again.
Repeat.

Ummmm ... no thanks ... LOL
Old 26-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
Is this right????
$54 bucks a week to ride a smelly overcrowded bus to work ????? That means that you spend over $2500 a year just to get to work, and 600 hour a year riding a bus both to and from work ! My god I am glad I dont live in the big city.
$54 a week is cheap for a round-trip to the city for a weekly ticket from Castle Hill ... it's the cheapest way of getting there ... and if you're at the first stop ... always getting a seat is a good thing too.
Old 26-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
so we have to find parking in Chatswood (as if that's going to happen) ... so now I have to had a 20 minute walk to work from the nearest "unrestricted parking area".....Management suggested i take public transport to work (absolutely clueless idiots that need to be made redundant)
If I took public transport to work I'd need to get up at 3-3:15am in the morning ... leave home around the 4am mark ...drive to Richmond station and catch the 4:40am train ... which only just gets me into work at 6:50am at Chatswood.
Why don't you park at Killara or Roseville, fairly tame suburbs, and get the train to chatswood, only be about $4.40 on the train per day.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

My car got smashed pre-Xmas. Since then I've been riding my MTB (mountain bike with slicks) to and from work. I live in Ultimo and I work in Woolloomooloo. Every morning I have to face danger as I ride through the city. You can imagine how much I miss my car as I have nearly been killed at least 20 times while riding.

My biggest problem is that I'm shopping on a day to day basis now and I cant really buy anything for the house cause I have no way to get it home.

The withdrawal is coming to an end soon though. I'm due to pick up my Focus in about 3 weeks time. *phew*

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Geo
Maaaate,

I have the same sort of problem with my little girl, except that I have to travel a lot for my job (Exploration geologist) and whenever I am away I am driving either diesel 4WD's or Avis crappydoors or worse.

As I am sitting there listening to the roar of the engine, whilst the wheels slowly turn :the_finge ... I am always thinking of my little blue girl and it just makes the return home that much sweeter...... :voldar02:

But because of this I have now taken to cruising the freeways of Perth late at night..... for no other reason than because I want to...... sad I know but I have to admit it...... I am addicted :voldar02:

cheers from a fellow addict.

Peter
Might see ya one night Pete, I have 13000 km on the clock, drive it most of the day every day.
And still get in my baby at any time just to go for a drive. Gotta be love :

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
$54 a week is cheap for a round-trip to the city for a weekly ticket from Castle Hill ... it's the cheapest way of getting there ... and if you're at the first stop ... always getting a seat is a good thing too.
Yeah it could be worse. The bus fare alone is what I would pay in tolls. And the buses are air conditioned (just waiting for one to break down)
Uncle Ken
Old 27-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Why don't you park at Killara or Roseville, fairly tame suburbs, and get the train to chatswood, only be about $4.40 on the train per day.
The distance I already drive though ... I may as well drive slightly closer to Chatswood ... and walk the 20 minutes ... then try and park near a train station (not the easiest either) a few suburbs away ... pay for a ticket on top of my tolls ... then wait longer for a train to arrive.

So far what I am doing now is the quickest way into work for me.
Old 27-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yeah it could be worse. The bus fare alone is what I would pay in tolls. And the buses are air conditioned (just waiting for one to break down)
Uncle Ken
Also you don't need to worry about "driving" in the traffic ... you can sit there and just look out the window ... less chance of damaging your car if an accident occurred.