Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Braces

Went for a check-up at the dentist today and once again he wants to rip out a few teeth an dinstall some braces in my mouth .I can see his point but at the age of 34 I don't know as i should have got them done like 20 years ago but the folks weren't thay rich so I went without .Have anyone have braces in the past when you were a teenager or older and what are the new ones like these days .
Cheers WAZZA

WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Well...I've currently got plate (retainters) at the moment but from 10/10/02 until June 2004 sometime I had braces, at first they are a real pain in the ***, but after a while they are fine.

Well with looks I just got the coloured ones but just didn't really care about colours so I just went with greyish/silver but now you can get clear ones which arent really noticeable unless if you look really hard.

But on the whole it was one of the best things i've ever done, my teeth are perfect straight, but just got to wear them retainers or else they will go back to bad which is just a waste.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
BlackLS

Always get a second or third opinion before dental work.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
gozza

to be brutal braces are horrid man
your 34....why bother lol...unless they gonna fall out or grow into your brain
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Sunburst50

I had braces when I was about 13-15 as I was teased at school because my teeth stuck out like Bucky Beaver. Get a few more opinions I reckon as you can end up with straighter teeth and and nicer smile but it also will pull your jawline in and change your side profile look. Take a good look at Steven Richards (V8 Driver) side profile as I reckon he would of had some orthodontic work.
Sunburst50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had them.. They're not that bad.. If you want to fix your teeth up, go for it. If you don't mind how are they are now, then no real point.

Apart from being able to get clear coloured ones (as in the part that glues to your teeth as well) you can get those retainer style braces now that are pretty much invisible (used to have them for a plate). They're like a kind of hard plastic molded mouth gaurd in a way.. Slip them on and people can't see them.. Though if you end up with big gaps from teeth being pulled out, they might not work.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

If your really concerned about your teeth then get them, you may regret it if you dont get them ;)

But if your teeth arent seriously that bad then maybe dont worry.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two questions...does it HAVE to be done?
can you afford it?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Yummy Mummy

I have a girlfriend who got braces at about 25. She is a gorgeous girl, and her teeth were about her only imperfection. She hated them (got the clear ones) and after a while, you honestly didn't notice them.

Now she has a perfect smile, and says it was the best thing she ever did.

Apparently you can get braces fitted to the back of your teeth so you can't see them, but I hear it's about 3 times the price. Not too sure though, could be just a rumour.

Either way, if you need them, you shouldn't worry about what other people think of you when you have them on. If people judge you cos you have braces, then they're not the sort of people you would want to know anyway. Good luck.
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I had braces for about 2 years, as well as a bridge across the roof of my mouth to stretch my top jaw. The braces were nothing compared to that!!
I got mine put on 2 days before Christmas, which meant I couldn't eat much for a week or so.
They only really hurt when they get tightened, and only for a day or so, which is nothing panadol won't fix, just try to eat softer foods.

I thought it was worth it. They're not there forever, but the end result is!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #11
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys this all helps as I think I will do it even if the wife says she dosen't care if I get them all not it has been something I been thinking about for a while ,it's not the money as a this point i was told it was about 3k but these clear ones you are talking about has got me thinking
Cheers WAZZA
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #12
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy
I have a girlfriend who got braces at about 25. She is a gorgeous girl
HeHeM : single?? :Reverend:
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
Yummy Mummy

predictable. No sorry, she's married.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
XRQTR
TBA Customs

it: unbelievable it:
Old 08-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #15
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza3710
Thanks guys this all helps as I think I will do it even if the wife says she dosen't care if I get them all not it has been something I been thinking about for a while ,it's not the money as a this point i was told it was about 3k but these clear ones you are talking about has got me thinking
Cheers WAZZA
if you want to do it than just doit mate it is your teeth no one elses .
but just make sure you have enough money for breast implants . just incase . or probe your wife i bit more on what she thinks of braces before you do it . could end up costing you a fortune in plastic surgery . cover all angles 1st .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #16
Yummy Mummy

well as long as he pays for the breast implants then he has ownership and can carry out routine inspections whenever he pleases.

How did a thread about braces end up on breasts???
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #17
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy
well as long as he pays for the breast implants then he has ownership and can carry out routine inspections whenever he pleases.

How did a thread about braces end up on breasts???
he is married sometimes trade offs become involved. thats all. he mentioned not listening to his wifes opinion . thats all ok but his wife maybe thinking i have always wanted that eyelift .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #18
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I need braces, my teeth's all horrid; but atm the folks can't afford them and neither can i (:
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #19
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Were dose this breasts implants and eyelift come into it (and what is a eyelift?) the main thing i wanted to know is how many people here have or had braces and what were they think of them and it's not a case of not listerning to the wife or I said was she didn't care about the fact that i don't have the beast of teeth but if i wanted to get them I should do it ,but cheers as all has helped
Old 08-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am thinking about getting braces myself ... will most likely need about 6-8 teeth out prior as well.

I absolutely despise dentists ... but I know one day I am going to have to bite the bullet and get it done.

My parents could afford it when I was younger ... now that I am nearly 29 ... i am thinking about getting it done.

My Fiancee had to get her bottom front teeth redone again (she had braces when she was 12) ... her's needed realignment again and gets them off next month I think (has had them on for nearly 18months ... she is nearly 27.

So I say ... you are never too old to get it done.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #21
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Implants, hmmm this is going no where.

:hihi: OK HANDS UP ALL THE GIRLS WITH IMPLANTS :hihi:

At least this way we bypass about 4 pages of banter and get to the real issue here tonight folks. :
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #22
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

"dental Plan"
"lisa Needs Braces"

"dental Plan"
"lisa Needs Braces"
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #23
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
"dental Plan"
"lisa Needs Braces"

"dental Plan"
"lisa Needs Braces"
CLICK HERE FIRSTLY....

"These predate stainless steel, so you can't get them wet."

Last edited by MrSparkle; 08-02-2006 at 08:32 PM.
MrSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post