Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default MP3 converter

After a MP3 converter for WMA files.

See, my DVD in the car plays GIGA MP3, which means I can rip my CDs, and burn them to a blank DVD and it will play in the car, also freeing up alot of space for other stuff.

Anyone know where I can get one?

I know my DVD player also plays WMA files, but I'm not sure on file sizes and audio quality. Anyone explain this to me?

Old 25-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

Basicly, a WMA ripped at 64kbps is equivalent to a MP3 ripped at 128kbps.

Therefore, a CD or DVD will hold twice as many albums in WMA format compared to MP3 without loss of sound quality. I know people say the higher kbps the better the sound, but in my experience (and I have over 100 full CDs and about 10 DVDs (still counting) running through a JVC KD-DV6105 HU, Sansui 4 channel amp, Pioneer 10" sub and Response 6.5" splits and no rear fill) MP3's in 128Kbps are of good quality. I can't tell the difference between a 128kbps and a 320kbps rip.

If you're after some freeware to convert WMA to MP3 and vice versa, then the place to go is www.nonags.com
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
joshf2
striped

itunes does it

but be warned, itunes can (and probably will) mess up any filing order you have with your mp3's/wma's

zhodak - there is a big difference between even 128kbps and 160kbps, but i must admit, it does take a trained ear to hear it.

the other thing you have to note is, if you happen to, by chance, download an mp3 track from the internet (and we all know that you dont) you really dont know its recording history. ive heard some terrible quality 320kbps songs, just because theyve been ripped from vinyl ;)
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

I bet you are using Windows Media Player to rip CD's.

You can change the default format for ripping in WMP. Look under 'Tools', then 'Options', the the 'Rip Music' tab, select 'MP3' in the drop down box.

I recommend setting it to 192kbps.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhodak
Therefore, a CD or DVD will hold twice as many albums in WMA format compared to MP3 without loss of sound quality.
Excuse the interuption, but my post is slightly off topic.

If you fill up a DVD with MP3s or WMAs, will it still play in an MP3 or WMA compatible player???

I have an Alpine Deck that plays these, and if I could use a DVD instead of a normal CDR, that would be sweet!!

As for the original question, I just use the Microsoft MP3 program to change them over to WMA.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Excuse the interuption, but my post is slightly off topic.

If you fill up a DVD with MP3s or WMAs, will it still play in an MP3 or WMA compatible player???

I have an Alpine Deck that plays these, and if I could use a DVD instead of a normal CDR, that would be sweet!!

As for the original question, I just use the Microsoft MP3 program to change them over to WMA.

Ed
In short no. A MP3 HU will only play CD-R and not DVD. So you would need a DVD player. The good thing is, I can fit over 100 albums onto a DVD or some of the DVD's I use I've authored to play video clips or show picture or the the album art.
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post