Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Default How Do You Check Your Oil

Hi, guys.. please dont think this is a stupid question, but how do you check your oil.

I was told by 2 Ford service people to check my dipstick within 10 seconds of shutting down engine :
This was after I complained that they overfilled my oil ??

If true why would we all of a sudden be doing things differently. Surely it would be better to wait for the oil to get back to the sump and settle to give you a true indication of the level. I mean this is against the grain of all teachings I know of. Why not raise the mark on the dipstick and check it the old fashioned way.

Or have I been doing it wrong :monkes:

John

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I wait for the oil to get back to the sump. That will give you (on DIY service) about 5 - 5.5 litres oil capacity.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

I use the dips stick..... (had to be said)

I always check when cold.
The auto trans has to be checked within 10 seconds of shutdown.

Again Ford service is wrong!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You always check oil, when its cold. This is when the oil is at its correct level. Hot oil has expanded and gives a false reading. My Ford has a sealed auto box, cann't check.
csv8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
You always check oil, when its cold. This is when the oil is at its correct level. Hot oil has expanded and gives a false reading. My Ford has a sealed auto box, cann't check.
How the hell are you supposed to fill it then? correct me if I'm wrong, ATF is filled through the dipstick hole.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

this is my engine oil i am in about.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Old 19-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check when cold, as others have said. I'm not sure why the Ford mechanics would advise otherwise, but I've always been taught to check oil level cold.

M14A-Mclaren - Some auto boxes are sealed and don't require the oil to be changed at all. I've seen BMWs like this, didn't realise Ford was doing it too.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I am with you all on the way to check. How it came about was

I took the ute in for the 3000 km check, knowing i needed a pint of oil. They did not even top up the oil. So I voiced my concerns re there "service". So they topped it up for me. Next day I thought I would check it in morning and found it about an inch above full. I thought it was too full and wanted them to drain it out.

And this is how the story begins, Not happy !!

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 19-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
How the hell are you supposed to fill it then? correct me if I'm wrong, ATF is filled through the dipstick hole.
EF or EL are sealed!!

But this is O/T
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
EL Falcons onwards dont have a dipstick hole unfortunately.
Old 19-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #11
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Some auto boxes are sealed and don't require the oil to be changed at all. I've seen BMWs like this, didn't realise Ford was doing it too.
Problem is Ford would like you to replace a gearbox instead of change the transmission fluid every so often.

Back on topic it's definitely tripe. Probably not so much that they don't know any better. Too lazy to drain the excess oil and admit their stuff up.
Old 19-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
tickford302
T1 TE50 Galaxy Blue #010.

Location: In between German Engineering and Tickford Perfection.

Quote:
Sorry to go O/T but clear it up and no more questions,the auto boxes are checked at service via the filler hole located under the car on the side of the box.It is a bolt that is undun and fluid level should sit at the lip of the hole, if it doesnt then fluid is added through same hole, same principle as used with the diff.
Engine oil i check with car cold and on level surface, i'd say as per usual it is Ford service trying to talk about something they know nothing about, happens quite often.
tickford302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #13
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

This is an exact copy from the Territory's Owners Manual, it is relevant to all engines;
Quote:
Check the engine oil level with the engine at operating temperature and make sure the vehicle is standing on level ground. Switch the ignition off and wait some minutes for the engine oil to flow back to the sump. Pull dipstick out, wipe with a clean, lint-free cloth, re-insert it completely and pull it out once more.
The oil level is shown by the oil film adhering to the dipstick. If the level lies between the ADD and FULL marks there is no need to refill. Hot oil may exceed the FULL mark for some millimetres due to thermal expansion. If oil lies in the ADD region refill using only engine oil meeting the Ford specification.
It is very important to have the vehicle on level ground, the engine should be warm as this will help get a correct reading, modern European engines state waiting 5 minutes after shut down before checking the oil.

Slightly over full wen hot shouldn't be a problem and is caused, as others have mentioned, by thermal expansion.
Having the engine too much over filled can cause premature engine wear through the oil being aerated. It can also cause higher fuel consumption and power loss, these are extreme cases caused by an excessively overfilled engine sump.

As for the auto trans, check here; Servicing a Territory/Falcon Automatic Transmission

The new 6 speed ZF will be different again (if it is anything like the ZF in the BMW), still no dipstick, but it will confuse a lot of people. My lips are sealed :
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #14
Steve_T

Should check when cold and drained back to sump as said. Also, you should be sure to drain some off if they've over-filled it 'cause over-filled can lead to aeration of the oil and thus improper lubrication and lifter operation etc.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
Steve_T

LOL, beat me to it johnydep - I was sitting writing my post for ten minutes 'cause of watching the tele at the same time Interesting point about checking the oil when at operating temp, but the dipstick marks should still be graduated for cold level I believe (like you said, when hot it'd be normal to be over the max mark) - but yeah, my AU manual says what yours says too - I think generally it works out about the same if you check hot or cold - I do oil change and fill to max and check when hot, then check and top up slightly next morning when cold usually.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 01:13 AM   #16
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Man am I going to let Ford have it. I said to them exactly what you guys are saying. I even made sure to have it on level ground. I will be looking up the required litres and making them drain and fill. Then with the right volume in sump they can check the dipstick. Lazy mongrels $60k for a ute and this is the type of service you get.

If I did not love Fords so much I might be driving a mazda (never a Holden )

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 20-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #17
460cixy
burn out king

i check mine about every 3 months. and hey the old eb dont use none best checked cold but if its hot just give it a min or so to get back to the sump. i dunno about the new falcons but the old isuzu donks used to get an air lock so ya pull the stick and it would not have a drop on it . put it back in and pull it again and it will say its full. as for ford saying that you have to check it x amount of time after you shut down is pulling ya pud. as for the auto trans on ef onwards with out the dipstick. just get under and un do the plug like a manual easy as. the dipstick was removed to stop tools overfilling/ adding the wrong oil ect. mainly dumb **** taxi drivers. i also should let you know that the dipstick tube is never pushed in to the block the same so you will all get diffrant readings
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 03:11 AM   #18
argonEL
Cruisin' When-ever I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
EL Falcons onwards dont have a dipstick hole unfortunately.
Ford removed the dipstick for the auto trans at the EL due to the fact that the BTR box is pretty sensitive to the level and type of fluid in it. People were topping them up at servos with any type of fluid and/or overfilling them .... Bad thing.

I check my oil after running the engine but after everything in the engine bay has cooled to a point where you can touch it. If it is a little bit overfilled it wont matter much...

More mods to come!

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.
argonEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Well I called FPV direct, because my local service centre is still telling me stories. Very helpfull at FPV. Tony told me this.
1) Warm up car/oil
2) put car on firm level ground
3) Shut down engine and wait at least 5 minutes
4) Check the oil, and make sure the numbers are facing the block to get the most accurate reading

Pretty clever at FPV eh

Now to visit Titan (oops, wasn,t supposed to say that) to replace my oil.

Unless they can prove to me I have not had any aeration and wear happening for the last 1500km. (Looks like they will be replacing my oil and filters)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 20-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #20
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Pretty clever at FPV eh
You obviously havent had much dealings with them yet ? lol
Old 20-10-2005, 11:57 PM   #21
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
You obviously havent had much dealings with them yet ? lol
Oh dear, so it does not get any better :yeees:

I was told by good scources that my Ford service centre is the best we have to offer.

Does anyone know of a service place that respects our Fords as we do

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 21-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I was always taught that you check your oil when the engine is cold. But after reading this thread I decided to look at the manual and it said that it should be checked when the engine is at operating temp (also to wait five minutes for the oil to drain).
So this has thrown me. But I guess I can trust the engineers.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Use the dip stick first thing before starting it on level ground...But checking after re fueling is o/k...
If the oil is low ???
Go to parts dept and get another dip stick....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #24
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I let it sit overnight on a flat and check it first thing in the morning ,thats how ive always done it.
by the way wheres the point of checking the oil while its hot ?

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #25
gtfpv
GT

mmmmmm . now with the ba gt i have had the dealer top it up at 3000km when i drove it home it was about 10mm above full dipstick . when i changed the oil myself i put about 5.5 litres of oil; into the engine which filled it to ful . i found this strange , because the manual says that the BOSS
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 01:37 AM   #26
gtfpv
GT

mmmmmm . now with the ba gt i have had the dealer top it up at 3000km when i drove it home it was about 10mm above full dipstick . when i changed the oil myself i put about 5.5 litres of oil; into the engine which filled it to ful . i found this strange , because the manual says that the BOSS ENGINE SHOULD TAKE 6.2 LITRES OF OIL TO FILL . WHICH I THINK WOULD GIVE IT ABOUT 20MM OVER THE DIPSTICK FULL MARK .GO FIGURE .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:09 AM   #27
ridefox
nitro addict

i check my oil first when its cold then warm the car up let it sit for 10mins then check it once more just to be sure beta to be safe then sorry both times the reading is pritty much the same hot an cold
ridefox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #28
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Oh dear, so it does not get any better :yeees:

I was told by good scources that my Ford service centre is the best we have to offer.

Does anyone know of a service place that respects our Fords as we do
G'Day,

I used to work at your service centre, as sales person. To put it this way, I don't work there anymore and I bought mine from Challengers in Rockingham. Must say that i am very impressed so far. Go see the Service manager direct Mr Carkeen I believe. Tell him Barry with the low Acid Rush XR6T send you.

Or else you could ask for Scott Percell first and explain to him. He is a used car sales person and old collegue of mine.

Baz
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #29
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
The auto trans has to be checked within 10 seconds of shutdown.
??

Could have swork ATF check (for those of us lucky enough to have dippy on trans) was done with engine running and transmission in P.. after working box through the gears.
Old 21-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #30
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a dipstick for my AU's auto... And that is how I check the level in the trans. No crawling under the car and stuffing around to check it.