Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
buickman
buickman

Default Factory ECU overriding Chips

While looking at another forum someone had posted up that the unichip would get overidden by the factory ECU over time & are a wast of money & money would be better spent on other mods.
Does that mean they need to be retuned over time or is this poster talking bollocks.

buickman

buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Far as I know I have heard the same about Unichip but have yet to see any conclusive evidence of it at all. As for the ChipTorque, doesnt happen, period.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
While looking at another forum someone had posted up that the unichip would get overidden by the factory ECU over time & are a wast of money & money would be better spent on other mods.
Does that mean they need to be retuned over time or is this poster talking bollocks.

buickman
My brother Hamo has a AU6 with a unichip and it hasn't been re-tuned for around 6 months since his last Mods, HE backed up his ET:14.30 at Calder last week....he done the other ET:14.30 3 months back at Heathcote....Same for me on my BA...
The Unichip intercepts the signal after the ECU, not before.
Do all your Mods 1st then get some aftermarket tuning other wise you will have to pay to re-tune after you change your set-up.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Way way too much is made of the learning capability of the ecu's

Mostly its pure BS

The learning capability is better described as a series of failsafes to allow the car to run with a number of failed sensors.

The most noticeable things it does do is train the ISC to get a stable idle and work out the throttle position for transmission control and fuel demand.

So on every battery disconnect it will need to relearn the TPS values for the full range of travel and the idle speed controller duty cylce.

A lot is made of the HEO analysing mixtures and changing them. The HEGO monitoring of A/F ratios is such a narrow band sensor which is referenced only at light throttle cruise it does nothing to full throttle and can only stuff up fuel economy on cruise as the safety values if its out of range are just richer than normal. The HEGO is there to pass emissions tests on a worn engine thats all its not a true wide band closed loop continuously monitoring system like you can set up with say a Motec with a target A/F ratio for a range of load conditions.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I think that what you tend to find is that when the car improves that you get used too it and it does not feel as fast.Same goes for the chip.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I think that what you tend to find is that when the car improves that you get used too it and it does not feel as fast.Same goes for the chip.
You could prob say that with any mod....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
5speedTE

what do u guys think of the powerchip stuff?

Jason
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Powerchip? No. One of our club members took them to court and won (because the chip did nothing).

Chiptorque? Yes
Unichip? Yes
AU Edit? Most definitely (a week or two away, though)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
5speedTE

oh, cool thanx dude. I was going to get one lucky i didnt. How much do the other range from
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedTE
oh, cool thanx dude. I was going to get one lucky i didnt. How much do the other range from
$595-$1500
Old 09-10-2005, 07:12 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Buickman.Is there such a thing as a perfect state of tune? Yes.But only for a while.If you are after an optimal state of tune then all chips in 12-24 months time need a retune.Every single chip or full standalone system.Why? Because in 12-24 months time I can guarantee you that the car is not the same . For example...just say you tune your car perfectly today.Wear and tear will actually change the state of tune of the engine.This is why people go to a thicker oil as time goes on.Clearances change.Valves dont seat as perfectly.Carbon builds up in the engine.
The unichip is a piggyback.The chiptorque directly controls the ecu..right. Just because the chiptorque has a different function to an end result does not mean it is going to maintain a perfect tune 12 to 24 months down the track...this is impossible.The piggyback ,complete ecu standalone system will need a slight adjustment to compensate for changes in engine life.

People who throw names around and spread rumours about certain product are just getting personal.

To say that they are a waste of money is a stupid moronic statement made by someone who is so dumb that they believe that any ecu can maintain perfect tune forever.It can be close for a good period of time but not necessarily perfect down the track for obvious reasons.

If I were to buy a unichip again I would buy it again 1000 times over.They beat the crap out of just the gas guzzling rich ford ecu.

There you have it mate..the truth.None of this rararar type of hype.These products are marvellous and without them wed all be in the dark ages like the author of that irresponsible comment.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Well useless you have the unichip & are happy with it.

You read all different opionions on the powerchip being the greatest then others recken their no value as well as the unichip but as yet to hear anyone critise the chiptorque.

Buy the way the same poster said that on imports after about 40 starts the ECU reloads the unichip back to zero?

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Chiptorque and Unichip both work although take a different approach to the task.

Powerchip is well probably the least likely to work.

Public forums are great as you get lots of opinions from a wide range of people some quite Knowledgeable some who can't spell some who are probably not even let out for xmas so you have to decide for yourself who to believe