Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
FTR888

Default When was the change?

When did ford change there engines from the cleveland to the windsor was it was back in the days of the XW and XY?

FTR888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

im not exactly sure which models had what before xy, but the clevo ran from XY to XE in differing forms, then there was a lull period where there was no V8 option (XF, EA) before the windsor re-apeared in the EB to AU models.

it was then replaced by the 5.4 modular
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
PSI250
Gassed Up!

As above but, the last XWs had the Clevo's, if i remember correctly
PSI250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSI250
As above but, the last XWs had the Clevo's, if i remember correctly
They started with it, then finished with XE esp, Windsor then cam back with the E series.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Windsors started in the XR s in australian falcons through the XT s and into early XW sand just at the end ofXw s the cleveland took over until the end with the XE s all XF falcons where 6 cyls and EA where 6 cyl as well.EB was the relaunch of v 8s in falcons and was a windsor until end of AU series

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep .. understand that 351W were phased out for 351C in the XW-series .. but what happened with the 302? I *think* this is what the original author is asking? As best I understand, the 302C didn't show up until the XA .. so I'm assuming the 302W kept going thru XY? .. actually I'm sure of it (XY GS anyone?)

Is this the actual question?? (confused..)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Yep .. understand that 351W were phased out for 351C in the XW-series .. but what happened with the 302? I *think* this is what the original author is asking? As best I understand, the 302C didn't show up until the XA .. so I'm assuming the 302W kept going thru XY? .. actually I'm sure of it (XY GS anyone?)

I don't think this is the case. The 302 & 351 Windsor was replaced with the 302 & 351 Cleveland. I doubt you'd find a XY to XE with a factory fitted Windsor of any description, unless it's some sort of freak occurence.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re: http://www.grandtourer.com.au/public...dex.asp?type=2

About half way down the page ..

"XY GS Raw Orange
What a gem! Original Falcon 500 factory GS Option, 302 Windsor, Toploader, Original Black Interior, Rare Raw Orange Original Paint, Remote Mirror, Superfringe Radio, 129,000 miles, GS Caps. Has to be the most original GS we have seen - the engine bay is a time warp! Drives as it looks - great.
$17,500 ono"

I still think the 302C was even a LATE XA introduction ... anyone with concrete facts???

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #9
myxr6
Banned

I owned an XY Fairmont wagon with a 302 windsor as standard.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

351 changed to Cleveland mid 1970, 302 I'm not 100% sure but apparently with the XA introduction.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin

351C replaced the 351W in early 1970 (XW), the 302W continued through XY to mid 72 where the XA was the first with the 302C. Im not sure if any early XA's had 302W's though or if the change occured neatly at the begining of the XA.

Old 17-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #12
FTR888

ahh, asked the old man, his XW GT HO has a cleveland in it. apparently they ran the windsors for the XW Phase 1 and then they changed to cleveland for the Phase 2. However it wasn't a clean break, it was ment to be XW Phase 1's had Windsors and and Phase 2's had Clevelands, however this didn't happen and this is how we get the Phase 1 1/2, like my old mans, its a Phase 1 but its got a cleveland in it, there were around 50 or so that are recognised as XW Phase 1 1/2.
FTR888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post