Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tinted Windows = Terrorist, Pedestrian Council

The latest hair brained scheme from the Pedestrain Council of Australia. Apparantly they see a link between tinted windows and terrorism.

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...sp?PageID=1181

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Kryton

they also see a link between pirated movies and terrorism too.
i can see it now, Osama's sitting in a cave burning off DVDs and getting his soldiers to distrube them to the world.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Retards.

Why don't they do something constructive?

I'm a pedestrian and I DGAF...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I do not have the time of day for those morons.
Old 25-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Haha, i couldnt help but laugh reading through that.

For starters, Homeland Security is such an Americanism... we already have a DHS and its got nothing to do with terrorism!!

Quote:
especially when history has shown us that the car-bomb is the primary instrument of destruction employed by terrorists.
I've always admired the PC's ability to shoot off at the mouth on apparently 'factual' matters despite a complete lack of evidence or even common sense.

Walking class heroes indeed.
Old 25-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I'm not even going to bother clicking the link, why make their web stats look like people want to view this cr@p?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
lizardmech

Public transport should be banned, the london attacks have shown that its too dangerous to pack a bunch of random people in a vehicle, everyone should drive cars to stop the terrorists omg! Scruby seems like the kind of guy youd expect to be a terrorist, I can see him finally snaping and destroying a ferrari show room one day.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
damo351

LOL what the........ some people smoke cones too often
Old 25-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The latest hair brained scheme from the Pedestrain Council of Australia. Apparantly they see a link between tinted windows and terrorism.

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...sp?PageID=1181
I dont think there is a "they". I think its just one half mad bloke "Harold Scruby". Gosh i might start a "Responsible Motorists Council" (sounds respectable) and appoint myself chairman, secretary and spokesthing.

First press release will be about outlawing idiot pedestrians who wear dark clothes near roads, walk after dark, dont look before crossing, wear sunglasses when its not sunny day.
Dark clothes and sunglasses ..hmm terrorist for sure.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
I dont think there is a "they". I think its just one half mad bloke "Harold Scruby". Gosh i might start a "Responsible Motorists Council" (sounds respectable) and appoint myself chairman, secretary and spokesthing.

First press release will be about outlawing idiot pedestrians who wear dark clothes near roads, walk after dark, dont look before crossing, wear sunglasses when its not sunny day.
Dark clothes and sunglasses ..hmm terrorist for sure.
I'd vote for you haha. Damn those Matrix-looking people.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a terrorist couldn't get a car with tinted windows because of Scruby's suggestions sourced exclusively from his rear-end, then they would simply wear a disguise.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously it is a ridiculous proposal

For starters contrary to popular opinion terrorists don't wear white robes, have a big grey beards and carry an AK-47 slung over one shoulder - rather they look like every other Joe Average which is why "the war on terror" is so difficult to fight.

Secondly why would a terrorist drive a car with illegally tinted windows - such vehicles attract unwanted police attention - something which i feel the terrorist would not want.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 25-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
GraveDilute

For everyone's information, I sent a mail to the council, and this is the response I received below.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

We acknowledge receipt of your email (below)

These are not assumptions, these are facts.

Terrorism takes many forms. Number-plates can be as important as Passports. Identifying the drivers of cars is the same.

If you don't get it by now, you won't get it. Although one suspects you have a clear conflict of interest in writing to us.

Tinted windows are not illegal. Opaque tinted windows are illegal for all the reasons outlined in our Policy Statement.

If you have illegally tinted windows, then it won't be long before you will be required to have them removed.

Harold Scruby
Chairman/CEO

Pedestrian Council of Australia Limited
"The Walking Class Heroes"

Telephone: (02) 9968-4555
Facsimile: (02) 9968-4566

Email: walking@walk.com.au
Internet: www.walk.com.au

PO Box 500
NEUTRAL BAY NSW 2089
AUSTRALIA

ABN 18 075 106 286

TO: Pedestrian council
Subject: "Homeland Security Threat"

Pedestrian Council of Australia

Safety – Amenity – Access – Health

Media Release

Sunday 10 July 2005 - Embargoed to midnight 10 July 2005

HOMELAND SECURITY THREAT

I am concerned at the assumptions made in this article which try to link the decision to tint windows for legitimate reasons with the threat of terrorism. Surely there are better ways of having your concerns addressed than appealing to the omnipresent threat of terrorism? To brand people who choose to do an after-market tint on their car as a potential criminal or terrorist is encouraging a climate in which people are encouraged to be suspicious of others and possibly to take vigilante action. I also believe that encouraging this kind of thinking is moving down the path towards giving police greater power to act in ways in which endanger innocent citizenry (I refer you to the London incident in which an innocent man was killed by Police who were given new powers to act).

If you are able to link tinted windows with criminal or terrorist activity I encourage you to publish these results. Myself and other road users who have chosen to tint our windows would be interested in seeing these links.

Yours,
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #14
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your email was quite well written, the responce seems like it came from a 5 year old...

Old 25-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Yeah, quite well written. Yet Scruby still has his one-minded way of thinking. I'd love to meet the guy in person and tell it to his face.
Old 25-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #16
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Scruby is a Zealot. sending emails to him is the same as bashing your own nuts with a hammer continually for a day. Repetative & Painfully pointless.

He has absolutely no ideas in regards to what is required to stop terrorism which is not based on anything as mundane as window tinting. He has his own agenda, and will leverage anyone elses fears and concerns to push his agenda down the garden path to his eventual utopia of everyone walking everywhere.

You wont convince a hebrew that Jesus is the messiah, you wont convince a muslim that mohammad loved pork, and you certainly wont ever convince Harold Scruby of anything once his Tirades are released to the press.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #17
xrgran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
I'm not even going to bother clicking the link, why make their web stats look like people want to view this cr@p?
My view also. Why up there stat's to show the Govt: how good they are, and that they think the public agree's.
Old 25-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #18
Shonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
it is the same as bashing your own nuts with a hammer continually for a day...
I hope your not telling us from experience...

Harold Scruby needs to be put in a weather ballon, taken up to the edge of the atmosphere, turned upside down and dropped.

Yes I have put a lot of thought in to this...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 25-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #19
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgran
My view also. Why up there stat's to show the Govt: how good they are, and that they think the public agree's.

Actually worth reading so you can see your tax dollars at work.

The release is based upon comments from former Assistant Commissioner of Police in Vic, Ray Shuey. Who wouldnt know a terrorist if he was having sex with Osama Bin Laden in a Kings Cross back alley.

Our intelligence and security response to terrorism has ben woefully inadequate as it is(In all areas), this is just another example of the reason why this is so. Nobody in a position of infleunce has a bloody clue.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 25-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get how Scruby can be so rude/immature in his written correspondence. I work in government and any correspondence I write must be in the most flowery, humble language I can muster regardless on how stupid/uninformed the perosn I am writing to is.

Oh wait, Scuby dosn't work for the government he just thinks he does... :jab:

Old 25-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #21
GraveDilute

My concern was the link between terrorism and something as simple as tinted windows. I will be driving a modded car from the end of this week, so already by most people's standards that will make me a "Hoon". This simplistic "ad hominem" (attack the person) style of argumentation needs to be recognised and then stamped out.

The simple fact is that terrorism directed against Western nations is a result of macro economic forces which do keep certain countries "down". Combine poverty, weak government, parochial, religious education and access to weapons and there is little wonder that terrorist actions occur.

Incidentally, by the official UN definition of terrorism, the US is a leading terrorist state. However, Australian media is allowed to ignore that inconvenient fact. I'm sure Scruby is right, tinted windows=terrorist. Now, where did I leave my AK again....?
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
I hope your not telling us from experience...

Harold Scruby needs to be put in a weather ballon, taken up to the edge of the atmosphere, turned upside down and dropped.

Yes I have put a lot of thought in to this...
Well Young 'un... you have won your freedom with that comment. No longer will I torment you with funny avatars and cattle prods.
Well done young man, you survived and took it all in your stride with a liberal dose of good humour.
Not sure about Laminge but I'm setting you free. You have earned my respect and I am sure a heap of others too.

(I withhold the right to change your avatar at will given enough beer or simply out of boredom)

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #23
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Explains it all
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57...d/zefuhrer.jpg

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 25-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #24
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Oh I knew it!
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
Shonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well Young 'un... you have won your freedom with that comment. No longer will I torment you with funny avatars and cattle prods.
Well done young man, you survived and took it all in your stride with a liberal dose of good humour.
Not sure about Laminge but I'm setting you free. You have earned my respect and I am sure a heap of others too.

(I withhold the right to change your avatar at will given enough beer or simply out of boredom)
SAYWHAT?!

I AM?

Can you repeat that so I am sure that wasn't a misprint.?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 25-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
SAYWHAT?!

I AM?

Can you repeat that so I am sure that wasn't a misprint.?
Dont get too excited... I stil have the bordom clause and you still have to get past Laminge "The GString of Justice"!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #27
lizardmech

Someone should get a radar thing like the police use and camp out on roads scruby uses, then send video tapes of him breaking the speed limit by 3km/h to the media. People like him have ruined australia.
Old 25-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #28
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Angry

Scruby's email to you shows his intellect, he in himself is (if you think about it) performing and act of terrorism.

Like chicken little said the sky is falling , the sky is falling Scrubys catch cry is "hey everyone look that there is a criminal and terrorist in that car with tinted windows!!!!!""" run . run for your life ooooohhhhh no the humanity ohh noooooo.(yes I am going a little over the top). this in turn makes people scared or "terrified" (which is the actual goal of terrorists) of cars with tinted windows.

well this is what would happen should any real live intelligent human being actually agree with the drival he is passing off as informed journalism.

there you go off my soap box now! :
Old 25-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #29
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

this guys a knob, why do we put up with people like this, he needs to be removed.......anyone got the number of a Hman :

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #30
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting to have a little look at his spreadsheet at the bottom, most of the second column entries are zero which denotes less than 1% of the total frames shot, hardly seems like an "epidemic" to me , in fact the highest numbers are of unreadable plates in 2002 which is about when the RTA started forcing people to replace early issue reflective plates which faded making them, oddly enough, unreadable. Must have worked too as the figures dropped from 7% to 6% in 2003.
Regards,
Tote