Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default illegal street drags/burnouts

what is your opinion on this???

I got dragged along to one of these tonight because i have never been to one.
Just watching tonight I realised how potenitally dangerous these "Events" are.
eg: guys drifting up and down this strip doin at least 100kmh, huge burnouts with people about 5 meters away from the car etc etc...

i just dont see the point of risking:

A: your self

B: your car

C: your mates, just to show every other d!ck there how much rubber you can burn in a couple of runs.

i know i probably sound like an old codger, but i am only 21. Just want to know YOUR views on this!

Rob

Old 15-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #2
rodderz

Spot on mate

Thats what places like Calder Park are for, do the drags to see how fast your car is down the quarter (and race your mates legally), or burn rubber till she blows in the burnout comp

There are also drift meets for those to practise too!
Old 15-07-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

yeah i agree but when will BOB spend some money on that sh1thole of a joint i know its convient but we should boycott till somethings are fixed .Has anyone lost a loved one in a pothole on the pre stage lanes

F**k this im off to heathcote to drag and dont have to mortgage the house to buy lunch

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 15-07-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
yeah i agree but when will BOB spend some money on that sh1thole of a joint i know its convient but we should boycott till somethings are fixed .Has anyone lost a loved one in a pothole on the pre stage lanes

F**k this im off to heathcote to drag and dont have to mortgage the house to buy lunch
haha...i agree with the lot there, you just about need to change the drag suspension to old man emu's to get back to the pits along the return track
:

They have good tucker up at heathcote too
Old 15-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
haha...i agree with the lot there, you just about need to change the drag suspension to old man emu's to get back to the pits along the return track
:

They have good tucker up at heathcote too

yeah it is a good place old heathcote they have just battled on for years

better go as im razzing up a few on thread on spelling in street machine fords

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 15-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
eg: guys drifting up and down this strip doin at least 100kmh, huge burnouts with people about 5 meters away from the car etc etc...
Yeah it's exciting but it's illegal and I quite like the fact of not having my car impounded.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Old 15-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
-jjM-
Banned

thats the price u gotta pay to look like top around here, rubber, car, and ur life, in other words, wannabe fast and furious
Old 15-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

I have a hard time trying to convince my mates that it is a dumb idea.

I have been drifting (not driving) in a mate's VW beetle (done up) on a soaking wet night. There were 5 of us crammed in the car, and it is a f***ing miracle that any of us walked away with our lives. Some of them still do it.

When I get my car I am also going to buy some earplugs so I can ignore them when they're in my car.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 15-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
what is your opinion on this???

I thought all this action in Melbourne was dead these days after several major crackdowns, or is it still going on over the west side?
Old 15-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

I've never been to one, but unless the government re-opens the drag strip around here then it is going to continue to be a problem.
Old 15-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #11
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
I've never been to one, but unless the government re-opens the drag strip around here then it is going to continue to be a problem.
yes i agree, the government complains about hoons but never do anything like opening up drag strips, tracks or burnout pads, hey jonnie H you want hoons off the street, give them more places to do their stuff! you wont stop all of them but i know i'd be going if they opened up a place around my area.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Old 15-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I've never been to anything like this, im not even sure if such an "event" exisits in SA?

There's a part of me that would really like to go and watch. I gotta admit im a sucker for drifting and tyre frying. But there's many parts of me that wouldnt. I wouldnt have my car within 10km of it all, probably wouldnt even take ID... it also sounds incredibly dangerous so would wanna be at a safe distance. I also dont like the idea of 'supporting' the behaviour... I'm a car enthusiast, through and through - it ****es me off that im tarred with the same brush as the hoons so i'd be a genuine hypocrite if i went along to watch...
Old 15-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

I've been to one once.. and yes, it is quite stupid. Drag racing the wrong way down a 1km stretch of road with B-doubles going down it frequently... people are dumb.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 15-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #14
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Its the crashing red lights at triple figure speeds that I don't like. Crazy.

The government aren't going to provide a venue unless we ask for it. Needs to be a big loud voice from rev-heads nation wide. I think we all know that we are the silent majority rather than the minority.
Old 15-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #15
trikee
overdriven

i like burnouts and drag racing as much as the next bloke. i've done my fair share of tyre blowing in my p plater days. but i only done it where no one was around so i could only hurt myself if something happened. i soon realised my pockets werent so deep and decided to give all the burnouts a miss.

the racing and burnouts should be left to a controlled environment where, heaven forbid, if something goes wrong, there's someone there who can do something
Old 16-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #16
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been to plenty of illegal drags but never participated in them. Seen a few bad accidents.. Burnouts dont really bother me, actually i quite like them when they are controlled, and controlled can be illegal aswell. Whens the last time someone has been injured/died from a burnout? Never heard of it.
Old 16-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
all4ford
XW 351

My family owns a tyre business up here at Narellan just outer Campbelltown, and on the last Good Friday Holiday, we put on a burnout event organised by my brother. We encouraged everyone who was interested in doing burnouts to come and do them inside our industrial yard in a semi-controlled environment. We also supplied all the tyres for free. It was a great day/night.

BUT, the police made multiple visits at first with the day shift police, giving us a pat on the back for providing a safe place to do it, but then you get a couple of ******* coppers, who turned up and threaten to fine us for excessive noise and bla bla bla. They then sat outside waiting for cars to leave so they could try and defect them, fortunately we had enough room to just lock all the cars up at our yard and drove everyone home. haha

But what I'm getting at, is we finally do something for the car enthusiasts and the cops come and ruin it for everyone, all because they are not getting to enjoy the fun. They just wanted to ruin everyones fun.

And before we get to, what if someone was hurt?etc. It would of been my family who would have had to wear it, the premises is covered by public liability insurance anyway.
Old 16-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #18
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko
Ive been to plenty of illegal drags but never participated in them. Seen a few bad accidents.. Burnouts dont really bother me, actually i quite like them when they are controlled, and controlled can be illegal aswell. Whens the last time someone has been injured/died from a burnout? Never heard of it.
Same here. I loved going out to the runs in Sydney. Yes, its dangerous to watch, but you stand somewhere out of the way to limit your risk. I also love watching illegal burnouts. I'd never race because i value my license, and i never took my car out, always went out with mates
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 16-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #19
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
My family owns a tyre business up here at Narellan just outer Campbelltown, and on the last Good Friday Holiday, we put on a burnout event organised by my brother. We encouraged everyone who was interested in doing burnouts to come and do them inside our industrial yard in a semi-controlled environment. We also supplied all the tyres for free. It was a great day/night.

BUT, the police made multiple visits at first with the day shift police, giving us a pat on the back for providing a safe place to do it, but then you get a couple of ******* coppers, who turned up and threaten to fine us for excessive noise and bla bla bla. They then sat outside waiting for cars to leave so they could try and defect them, fortunately we had enough room to just lock all the cars up at our yard and drove everyone home. haha

But what I'm getting at, is we finally do something for the car enthusiasts and the cops come and ruin it for everyone, all because they are not getting to enjoy the fun. They just wanted to ruin everyones fun.

And before we get to, what if someone was hurt?etc. It would of been my family who would have had to wear it, the premises is covered by public liability insurance anyway.
Lol wasn't to bad till the highway boys turned up.
Old 16-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #20
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko

Actually an s14 200sx was doing burnouts at one of these meets early in the year when he lost it coming out of some burnouts and plowed into a crowd of people seriously injuring at least two. This had HEAPS of media coverage so could find info on it somewhere, i have heard of a couple of incidents like this in QLD as well...so yeah it does happen
Old 16-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #21
XRQTOR
Banned

Dont read or listen to everything you see on the news or in paper's 90% of it is hyped up bull.

I attend/D street meets twice a week before the massive crackdowns that are still ongoing. Yes there are some people who get out there who dont belong behind the wheel of a car, most of the time they were told to **** off before anything happened. The events i visited were reasonably tame, no racing towards a crowd, no one infront of the line and No burnouts close to people or cars. Generally they had common sense and kept it as safe as they possibly could whilst still being on the street. This was out and out racing not drifting, having been to similar events in s.a i was supprised that they prefer to drift around corners than race.

In saying that i did turn up to one strip to see people standing all over the road as they raced, trailors on the side of the sumwhat narrow road. I said you guys are pretty keen racing towards cars/crowd and the reply i got was if your any kind of driver you'll miss them. As i walked off i couldn't help but laugh.
Old 16-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #22
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Lotta things in life are dangerous.

I can see how alot of people would be against street drags but at the end of the day its just personal interpretation that decides whether its right or wrong.

Bear in mind that there are people that think driving 3kmh over the limit seriously increase the chances of a crash (and theyre in power too) and will do everything they can to force you to agree with their beliefs.

Ive been to Calder few times and "legal" drags definitely isnt much of an option i dont care how much of an enthusiast you are, driving for 2 hours to get there and paying over $20 per run is just crap unless its an occasion.

The people who go to street drags go there of their own free will and know the dangers assosciated with it.
Plus ITS FUN.
Old 16-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #23
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
I thought all this action in Melbourne was dead these days after several major crackdowns, or is it still going on over the west side?
Ha! Far from dead where we are! Every friday and Saturday night we hear them... :(
Old 16-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #24
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They still happen but due to law changes and slow cars. I don't bother anymore. I used to be a regular. Used to get calls inviting me along 4 nights a week.

I'd be nice if the return road @ Calder was fixed. I hate having to get a wheel alignment after a Calder meet. After my new histall goes in I plan to damage axles. Heathcote will no longer be an option. Bugger driving up, breaking an axle and being stranded 250k's from home. I'd rather be stranded at Calder as my wife would cut my nuts off if she had to hire a trailer to come get me.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 17-07-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 17-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #25
EL XR8

As far as i know, i've heard on the Grape Vine, that 'ol Bob Jane is finally putting some money into Calder to get it back up to a better standard. I think they're evn going to try and get back some of the Auscar/?Nascar type racing back around the Thunderdome.
But i agree, Friday night at Calder are just crap, i pretty much refuse to race there, when you pay you $55 to get about 4 runs in, if you're lucky.
Plus in my experience, its full of smart *** wogs who think every car is , unless its their bro's mates cousins car.

Oh well, good old Heathcote for me, always!!!

Dave
Old 17-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #26
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
Dunno about the west side, but it's all over the east side. Keep that sorta stuff off the roads i say.
Old 17-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #27
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

drags are fun if ur not competing
also that white s14 crashed coz he wasdoing a burnout with the door open and half of his body outside of the car?? believe me i saw it
Old 17-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #28
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the accidents are caused by wood ducks doing burnouts. Not actually racing. Some of them are cause by the mad rush to get away from the area which I think is hilarious.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 17-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #29
drftspec

well guys i've done mine and ur mates fair share of burnouts, when u got lsd its pretty hard to resist!!! theres nothing wrong with leaving nice 2 leggers every where(if u can afford tha rubber)the trick is if ya produce enough smoke then they can't see your plates. just the tyres ripping up tha road!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah..................

as far as drag racing goes, not big fan, too risky although theres nothing better than a little squirt...
Old 17-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #30
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I stopped going to the illegal drags after getting rounded up and jailed in Dandenong one night. At the time I thought it was fun to "borrow" a car and have a run. It was fun but dangerous and a few out of the out of control nutcases can easily get someone killed.

Yes it was more dangerous trying to leave when the cops were on the way. We all knew from the CB radio spotters they were coming but thats when it got dangerous. Fortunately for me being a little underage and without a licence or a car I wasn't prepared to drive into a fleet of cop cars so I just walked away only to get picked up later for being a smart **** to the cops!

I go to WSID these days in my own car. I even have a licence with no points on it. My kids reckon I drive like a Grandpa. Its called get older and wiser happens even if you never really wanted it to.
Closed Thread