Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default New car after sale extras like paint protection etc

Hi guys.

My wife just bought a new Escape and of course, with any car purchase, new or used, they try to offer you a range of 'extras'. These for us were in the form of paint protection and interior protection including free window tint (apparently there is no UV protection in factory tint/privacy glass??)

Paint protection was ceramic coating and interior was a product that offered similar protection. Normally I politely refuse but the products offered actually sounded pretty good. We agreed to add them.

Paint protection was ceramic coating, which they warrant for 5 years against the things its meant to protect against. Apparently even in the event of a crash, the car will go back to the dealer once repaired and they re do the coating. I guess we'll find out if we ever have to go through with something like that.

Interior also had the same 5yr warranty against any staining etc.

Window tint was warranted for life. Apparently even in 10yrs time if it starts to peel or bubble or have any issue not caused by us it will be replaced for free.

Maybe we've just been sucked in but being our first brand new car, and the fact we tend to keep cars for upwards of 5-10 years, we decided to go with it. The car is platinum white (premium paint) so that also was a factor as white does tend to stain easy in my opinion.

Does anyone else have experience with the products that Ford use? They are apparently australian products. Not sure if all Ford dealers use the same or if they are dealer specific.

It cost an extra $1900 which I didn't think was too bad. They did it for half price apparently but I'm guessing they never do it for full rrp and just try to make each customer feel like they are doing them a good deal. Either way, when you're spending $36k, an extra $2k didn't seem that big a deal. We needed tint anyway, so that makes the paint and interior pretection that bit cheaper.

Keen to hear from anyone that has bought a new Ford and used their products.
Old 21-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: New car after sale extras like paint protection etc

Tint film is great for integrity of safety glass, you’ve definitely got a worthwhile thing there.

Have they changed the “extras” salesperson casting profile? It often used to be a young woman with prominently displayed assets.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New car after sale extras like paint protection etc

I normally stay clear of the dealer supplied stuff, mainly because its normally way overpriced. Going with an external supplier of that, there are many who do the same type of package, using better product for a much better price. In your case, $1900 isnt actually terrible, normally you would expect between $1500 - 1900 for Tint, Paint/Interior protection packages from external ones. Dealers normally try to charge $2500-3000 (and say its a discount) for the same. You, in reality, did pretty well.

On wifeys Kia Sorento, the dealer wanted to flog me the Tint, Paint, interior and leather protection package for $2900 which was "Quite a good discount". it isn't, they where trying to sell me something and make 100% markup on it... In the end I got Paint Protection, Leather/Interior Protection, Coating on all the wheels and Ceramic Window tint done, with superior product, for $1700.

As for tint, Privacy Glass is literally just Darkened Glass and has the same (very little) protection as non privacy glass. WHen tinters do cars with Privacy glass, they will use a much lighter film on those windows to get it to match the darkness of the non Privacy glass windows (if that makes sense)

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange

Last edited by Big_Daz; 21-03-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Apparently they clay bar before application. Made special mention of the prep work. Hopefully it wasn't just sales pitch.

Ceramic film on privacy glass is basically clear. Just adds uv and heat protection. The front gets done to darkest legal to make front and rear less contrasting.
Old 21-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out the Car Detailing thread a few posts down.
Car products have come a long way and can easily be applied and maintained for a fraction of the cost.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

All discussed fourteen or fifteen years ago in this thread, albeit with products flogged back then.

I still say no thanks. Any extras are included in the contract price.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
All discussed fourteen or fifteen years ago in this thread, albeit with products flogged back then.

I still say no thanks.
I would say products have come a long way in 15 years. The fact they warrant the products for 5 years was pretty good I thought.

I also don't have the time or patience to do it myself.
Old 21-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hi guys.

My wife just bought a new Escape and of course, with any car purchase, new or used, they try to offer you a range of 'extras'. These for us were in the form of paint protection and interior protection including free window tint (apparently there is no UV protection in factory tint/privacy glass??)

Paint protection was ceramic coating and interior was a product that offered similar protection. Normally I politely refuse but the products offered actually sounded pretty good. We agreed to add them.

Paint protection was ceramic coating, which they warrant for 5 years against the things its meant to protect against. Apparently even in the event of a crash, the car will go back to the dealer once repaired and they re do the coating. I guess we'll find out if we ever have to go through with something like that.

Interior also had the same 5yr warranty against any staining etc.

Window tint was warranted for life. Apparently even in 10yrs time if it starts to peel or bubble or have any issue not caused by us it will be replaced for free.

Maybe we've just been sucked in but being our first brand new car, and the fact we tend to keep cars for upwards of 5-10 years, we decided to go with it. The car is platinum white (premium paint) so that also was a factor as white does tend to stain easy in my opinion.

Does anyone else have experience with the products that Ford use? They are apparently australian products. Not sure if all Ford dealers use the same or if they are dealer specific.

It cost an extra $1900 which I didn't think was too bad. They did it for half price apparently but I'm guessing they never do it for full rrp and just try to make each customer feel like they are doing them a good deal. Either way, when you're spending $36k, an extra $2k didn't seem that big a deal. We needed tint anyway, so that makes the paint and interior pretection that bit cheaper.

Keen to hear from anyone that has bought a new Ford and used their products.
Depending on the seating material and how many kids under 12 you have the interior would be a waste of time.

I had my (non Ford) Opticoated for $800 (5 and 7 year warranty) and windows tinted for $200

Around here the dealers only sell and service cars, anything else gets sent out to the whoever bought the Dealer Principal the most beer
Old 21-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

One of my colleagues recently had his car ceramic coated - they said to avoid those auto car washes or any acidic car wash products.

I'd be against getting these options from the dealership because all they do is subcontract out the job to someone and chuck their margin on top, they'll throw out some huge warranty clause but if the contractor doesn't exist anymore than you have no warranty.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

We have just bought a 2021 Mazda CX-5 (waiting for delivery) and the salesman was top notch, we told him straight up exactly what we wanted, including all options like mat's etc, and asked for his best price he can do no haggling as we have also contacted numerous other dealers with the exact same demands, this one salesman/dealer come back straight away with his best price which was a few grand cheaper then all others with all our accessories included and didn't even mention any add on's like paint protection etc.

He knew we were straight shooters and he is to, no haggling, no sales pitch, just two parties that have come to an agreement.

We asked about tint and he told us that the dealership users a certain mob and obviously they put their price on top but said we would be better to ask him direct if we wanted tint as he is from our town and we did just that and the tint was $350 compared to the dealership at $500, even the tint guy was down to earth and direct when we asked about his tint compared to the likes on tintacar etc, they virtually use the same 3M made stuff and all are pretty much like for like these days, but for that price we are happy as last time I priced tint from tintacar it was $600 odd.

When it comes to paint protection etc, I think it's pretty much like the rest of the stuff they try to on sell, just a way to line their pockets even more.

I have most of the gear at home and will more then likely get around to doing it myself one day, I can see where others don't have that same resource to be able to do it themselves but why involve a 3rd party that just want's to take their share as well, you'd be better of contacting a respectable detailer and ask for their recommendations within your budget.

each to their own I guess though.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

mum and dad got done once, even with me sitting there telling them not to waste their money, the ming mole said no one likes washing cars and they will never have to do it again, the rain will clean it. they got the standard discounted price of 2k, they would have been better using that to buy the next model up

then 3 years later when it had a minor accident the company refused to apply the coating on that repaired panel as it wasn't a mazda approved repairer
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Have they changed the “extras” salesperson casting profile? It often used to be a young woman with prominently displayed assets.
Yes the infamous "Ming Mole' who amongst other things pushed Ming Paint protection. Whatever they try and sell with the new except perhaps production option or full sized spare wheels it usually cheaper elsewhere. it the McDonald up-sizing version of selling cars.

I actually recently got a laugh out of the person booking in my son's car for a service at a Toyota dealer when I observed they were suggesting to another customer before me that they should consider getting an oil flush with their service saying after the customer left the counter "aren't you meant to have Ming moles pushing those unnecessary extras?"

I do have to admits when buying my GC Galant in the early 70's I was sucked in by both the "Ming Mole" and "Wynn's Wench" paying for Ming paint Protection, Endrust Corrosion Protection Treatment and Wynn's Coolant additive (and the head corroded within two years; so much for Wynns) . I much am older and wiser and less gullible now.

Last edited by aussiblue; 21-03-2021 at 04:56 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Depending on the seating material and how many kids under 12 you have the interior would be a waste of time.

I had my (non Ford) Opticoated for $800 (5 and 7 year warranty) and windows tinted for $200

Around here the dealers only sell and service cars, anything else gets sent out to the whoever bought the Dealer Principal the most beer
I guess if the products are the same then I don't mind having it all done by them prior to pick up. Much more convenient for me. Any issues, same deal. One point of contact for the car. What they do with it is no concern to me. I guess I'm yet to be burned. I've never bought a new car before but have dealt with this particular dealership for 20+years and found them trustworthy.

Obviously it's never going to be the cheapest option but it's not a huge extra cost when you're spending $36k. Seems silly to squabble over a few hundred bucks.

Would still be interested in hearing from someone that may know which products they actually use and how they compare in real life to the marketing. I imagine you are happy with the opticoat Gaso? Does it live up to the claims? Ceramic coatings do seem more popular these days.
Old 21-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess if the products are the same then I don't mind having it all done by them prior to pick up. Much more convenient for me. Any issues, same deal. One point of contact for the car. What they do with it is no concern to me. I guess I'm yet to be burned. I've never bought a new car before but have dealt with this particular dealership for 20+years and found them trustworthy.

Obviously it's never going to be the cheapest option but it's not a huge extra cost when you're spending $36k. Seems silly to squabble over a few hundred bucks.

Would still be interested in hearing from someone that may know which products they actually use and how they compare in real life to the marketing. I imagine you are happy with the opticoat Gaso? Does it live up to the claims? Ceramic coatings do seem more popular these days.
I dont think you did too bad mate, considering its the dealer doing it im actually surprised they came down that low... You would have saved a few hundred going elswhere but its close enough to go "bugger it" and let the dealer do it.. it is more convenient. If Kia had of done the same (and I even showed them my external quote) I would have got them to do it, purely for convenience.

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes very happy...but don't forget to add it to your insurance policy
Old 21-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #16
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A few years ago I went to a Mazda dealer to negotiate buying a new car for my Mum.
At the end of the deal got passed over to the person top talk to us about a protection package for the paint and interior.
Sure enough, tight blouse, bit of cleavage.
When I said no thanks she said she would go check with her boss if she could knock more off.
Well I thought she meant the price, she came back with one more blouse on her button undone and a lot more on show, was like the Grand Canyon.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 09:46 PM   #17
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I’ve worked for 2 Victorian Ford dealerships. One metro and one rural.
Both have well equipped professional detailing teams who know what they are doing. When applying paint protection like ceramic coatings they would always assess what the paint needed before applying it. They would wash it(usually a few times) then clay bar it and polish it if required.
When I bought a new Territory they put on the paint protection and interior protection on for me for free(using left overs). I think it does help make the easier to clean and stops stuff bonding to the paint.
Unfortunately I don’t recall the brands they used.

However my new Mustang arrived last Friday and I’m doing EVERYTHING myself. Removing the stickers, pre delivery, washing it, detailing it and applying ceramic coating.
I paid about $120 for an Autosmart branded ceramic coating kits.
What I underestimated was the work involved. The paint as it comes off the truck(how I picked it up) needs quite a lot of work.
Today I spent 5 hours cleaning the wheels and applying ceramic cost inside and out. You certainly won’t get that level of detailing at a dealership but from what I have seen the guys and girls doing it are pretty good.

I think the price you have paid is very reasonable if the work is done properly. So inspect the car in bright light on pick up and check for any paint defects and get them noted and rectified.
And enjoy the new car.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 10:29 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’ve worked for 2 Victorian Ford dealerships. One metro and one rural.
Both have well equipped professional detailing teams who know what they are doing. When applying paint protection like ceramic coatings they would always assess what the paint needed before applying it. They would wash it(usually a few times) then clay bar it and polish it if required.
When I bought a new Territory they put on the paint protection and interior protection on for me for free(using left overs). I think it does help make the easier to clean and stops stuff bonding to the paint.
Unfortunately I don’t recall the brands they used.

However my new Mustang arrived last Friday and I’m doing EVERYTHING myself. Removing the stickers, pre delivery, washing it, detailing it and applying ceramic coating.
I paid about $120 for an Autosmart branded ceramic coating kits.
What I underestimated was the work involved. The paint as it comes off the truck(how I picked it up) needs quite a lot of work.
Today I spent 5 hours cleaning the wheels and applying ceramic cost inside and out. You certainly won’t get that level of detailing at a dealership but from what I have seen the guys and girls doing it are pretty good.

I think the price you have paid is very reasonable if the work is done properly. So inspect the car in bright light on pick up and check for any paint defects and get them noted and rectified.
And enjoy the new car.

Thanks. Appreciate your first hand feedback. I got the impression they did it in house but either way, as long as the car looks good when we pick it up, that's all that matters.

Personally it seemed fairly reasonable given it would all be done without me having to do anything. I guess they bank a little bit on the convenience aspect also.

Car washing doesn't happen as regular as it once did so a little bit extra protection can't hurt.

And no, neither my wife or I were influenced by the person selling the products. All the people at this dealership were very good to us. Product knowledge was very impressive by the salesman and with the amount of features in the cars these days it was clear he was invested in the brand which was very pleasing.
Old 22-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Rang the dealer today and they confirmed they do it all in house.

They use an Australian product called priority5auto. Never heard of them and their website doesn't look very fancy.

From most of my reading on here and review sites, most of the critcism is around the financial value. I think the price we paid, which includes ceramic tint, isn't too bad providing the products are what they claim to be. The other criticism is whether dealer products live up to the claims. No real way of quantifying that.

Those that have used paint protection in the form of ceramic coating are very happy mostly.

As a long term purchase I don't think the cost is either here nor there which is why we went for it this time.
Old 22-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

someone mentioned it already but make sure the extras are noted on your insurance policy.
Old 22-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #21
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sorry but it's a straight up scam. The window tinters are subcontractors that use inferior tint products to most other mainstream tinting mobs. The paint and interior protection isn't even worthy of being on the shelf at Supercheap Auto. U could go on and explain why (and I will if you want) but you're better off cashing out of it. Taking it to a tint centre and getting it done for $500 odd then heading off to Autobarn and spending $100 on wax and interior products
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #22
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Good price but for that i'd probably have taken it to a professional (here in Melbourne Final Inspection) for a coat of their Full Metal Jacket.
Regarding tint, I got conned by the Mazda dealer for our CX5, I wanted to do it somewhere else and get it done a little darker than legal (like my XR5) but missus was pressuring me to just wrap it up and get out of there.
Old 22-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #23
bb_zetec

When we bought my wifes new car 10 years ago the same thing happened. As soon as we negotiated a trade in price we and agreed on the car we were passed from room to room firstly for paint, tint, interior and underbody protection.

i'm not sure how many people say yes to everything...but we were looked at like a couple of lepers by the sales folk as we repeatedly said NO to all these things.

When i got my XR6 Ute the dealership tried the same thing...the ute was 2nd hand but they tried to sell me window tint...i looked over to the ute and said to the lady..."i dont know what you call tint...but if you look closely youll see it already has tinted windows!"

She looked stunned and then quickly signed the contract and left.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #24
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have the opticoat on one of our cars. Would I do it again? No. I bought a bottle of turtle wax ceramic coating, took all of five minutes to apply and the result is very slick. Best product I have ever used.
ute83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post