Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car trailers

Hi all,
Has anyone built and regod their own 3t agm car trailer? Im a boily by trade so the making of it isn't an issue, but is it hard to actually get it registered? Id probably buy plans off the net.
I just cant see $5k + to buy one, considering its probably 2 in materials, probably a lot less considering what offcuts i have access to for free.
Im only after a basic skeleton type to keep unnecessary weight down.
Thoughts? Worth doing or big headache with registration?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car trailers

Also, do I need to show plans? Is there engineering cert involved? I cant imagine it comes down to the old bird at the vicroads counter to pass my welds, but i have been surprised before at their incompetence
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I made my own trailer in NSW. The process was pretty easy. The RMS has a guide to making trailers to meet their regulations. It was basically just a case of getting a VIN, blue slip and weigh bridge ticket. That's about it from memory. I assume Victoria would be similar. If you are a boily, you won't have a problem.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #4
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I made my own trailer in NSW. The process was pretty easy. The RMS has a guide to making trailers to meet their regulations. It was basically just a case of getting a VIN, blue slip and weigh bridge ticket. That's about it from memory. I assume Victoria would be similar. If you are a boily, you won't have a problem.
^^^^^ What He said ^^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Some useful info but you will still need to talk to vicroads about the manufacturing requirements of your trailer

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...ler-or-caravan
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or, buy an older one in need of repairs.....
You have the skiils
Often considerably cheaper, and easier to transfer/rego again
Old 17-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all vicroads want is a weighbridge ticket and receipts for steel and parts, make a call and get a vin number from them, stamp it on, order a vin plate of ebay and stamp or have it engraved with required info, for over 2000kg under 4500kg they only check vin number, id pate and that you have the brake-away system installed

i tried to con mine to 2800kg but she asked where the brakeaway unit was
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
sr71

Go for it, if you can weld. In NSW, it seems too easy to register a Homemade trailer. I think welds should be certified, or performed by qualified people. And should be built from engineered plans, as you mentioned.
The only downside of building your own would be resale value, when it's being sold alongside other used trailers (built by dedicated trailer manufacturers). But it owes you much less anyway. A detailed build logbook including pics would help when selling.
Consider tilt designs and trailers that drop to the ground (using airbags or hydraulics). Also torsion axles such as Alko. Plenty of options that would cost plenty if optioned into a bought trailer. Even weld some 50mm hitch receivers in before paint. Handy for adding racks at some stage, or even a bike rack..
Keeping within tare weight tiers will also save you each year with rego. There should be a list on Vicroads' website
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
Rambunctious

Do some serious costings before you commit to buying bits.
Axles with hubs and electric brakes, springs, shackles, u bolts, and as mentioned brake away system, lights, wiring, coupling, bolts and nuts,guards, wheels and tyres (light truck radials) steel and paint, electricity and consumerables(gas, wire, discs etc) depending on your welder.
If you can get away with 2 tonne gvm they can be bought new for $3000.
Neighbour has a 2 tonne gvm and uses it for a ford race car so could be more than 2 tonne..
Of course if you get weighed on the road you could have a problem.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: