Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default When do each of the twin thermo fans turn on?

Hi guys,

I am interested in finding out how the twin thermo fans work in our AUs.

I know that when the air con is on that both fans run automatically.

Am I correct in saying that they are variable speed also?

What I would like to know is when does the first one activate? When does the second one activate also or is it only when air con is used?

Any info would be great!
XF_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: When do each of the twin thermo fans turn on?

80c then 110c iirc? You can put the dash in diag mode & check, if the a/c capillary tube is blocked low speed fan will come on earlier too apparently. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi XF.

I cannot confirm with a 6 cyl, but reading the stock V8 tune, it is based around an 198 DegF (92 DegC) Thermostat. Low fan speed kicks in at 210 DegF (98.9 DegC) and High fan kicks in at 224 DegF (107 DegC).

It would be fairly safe to assume the I6 is close or similar.

My understanding is that one fan kicks in at the low value and the second fan kicks in at the high value. I do not believe that they are variable speed - I have not seen any hardware or tune config to confirm they are variable.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok that's helpful guys. It is concerning a track car that will have no air con. I was just concerned that the second fan was only associated with air con. As long as it will come on at high temp then that's fine.

Thanks!
Old 13-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Hi XF.

I cannot confirm with a 6 cyl, but reading the stock V8 tune, it is based around an 198 DegF (92 DegC) Thermostat. Low fan speed kicks in at 210 DegF (98.9 DegC) and High fan kicks in at 224 DegF (107 DegC).

It would be fairly safe to assume the I6 is close or similar.

My understanding is that one fan kicks in at the low value and the second fan kicks in at the high value. I do not believe that they are variable speed - I have not seen any hardware or tune config to confirm they are variable.

Cheers
Stu
My understanding is somewhat different and is as follows:

With AC on, both fans run on low speed. This speed is achieved by running the fans in series, so the 12V is split between them, meaning 6V each, which only powers the fans to turn at roughly half their max.

When the temp sensor hits the figure required (as per Stu's figures above), both fans kick into high speed mode; this is achieved by switching the circuit to run the fans in parallel, meaning that each fan gets a full 12V resulting in the fan running at max speed.

I run AU fans in our explorer, and this was how I originally had them setup based on the research I did to find out how to make them low/high speed. if you ran one fan at high speed, the sound would be quite loud even just for one fan, but at low speed wired in series, they are barely audible - I have to put my hand behind them to feel that they are working.

The setup I now run with the AU fans in the explorer is the low speed fans run whenever the car is on (engine on), a supplementary 10" Davies craig fan fitted to the back of the AC condensor comes on when the AC is on (and then blows air onto the front of the radiator), and the AU fans come on high when the temp sensor hits around 82*.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF_Pilot View Post
Ok that's helpful guys. It is concerning a track car that will have no air con. I was just concerned that the second fan was only associated with air con. As long as it will come on at high temp then that's fine.

Thanks!
High speed always comes on when the car hits preset temp, regardless of AC on or not.

Wiring diagram attached:
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 18-02-2016 at 03:24 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great info. Thank you. Coming on in stages is great, when I have the J3 chip done I will get them to drop the switch on point for the high speed and leave the rest alone I think.
Old 14-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

A bit more info (aufanboy post from au2 wagon overheating) -

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....on+thermo+fans

Hey,

The sensor is connected to the ECU, which then sends the temperature info (along with other stuff) to the dash cluster via a serial data connection. So if your temp gauge is working then the sensor must be working. The fans should come on low speed when the gauge reaches the last mark before the N (of Normal). They should then switch into high speed mode (jet taking off) at about 105 degrees, which on an AUII will be just between N and O (the gauge is faked somewhat and sits in the same spot from 92 to 110ish). I would replace all three relays and start the car and check for low and high speed fan operation.

Here's the schematic from the manual:
http://www.fordwrm.co.za/manuals/For...on_auII664.pdf
and
http://www.fordwrm.co.za/manuals/For...on_auII665.pdf

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 14-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Graeme77
Starter Motor

Can anyone tell me why my au series 2 one tonner overheats only when I put on the
air-con?
Driving without the air-con on no problems,not one drop of fluid losses,but when I turn the
air-con on I lose most of the coolant
Graeme77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
A bit more info (aufanboy post from au2 wagon overheating) -

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....on+thermo+fans

Hey,

The sensor is connected to the ECU, which then sends the temperature info (along with other stuff) to the dash cluster via a serial data connection. So if your temp gauge is working then the sensor must be working. The fans should come on low speed when the gauge reaches the last mark before the N (of Normal). They should then switch into high speed mode (jet taking off) at about 105 degrees, which on an AUII will be just between N and O (the gauge is faked somewhat and sits in the same spot from 92 to 110ish). I would replace all three relays and start the car and check for low and high speed fan operation.

Here's the schematic from the manual:
http://www.fordwrm.co.za/manuals/For...on_auII664.pdf
and
http://www.fordwrm.co.za/manuals/For...on_auII665.pdf

cheer's, Maka
When in diagnostic mode on the cluster, Mine reads 92* between the N and O. How come the gauge is faked?
Old 28-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi NCII4.0, not sure why the temp gauge is faked, have heard of au dash's giving false temp readings & boiling too unfortunately. Maybe the sensor is two stage not variable idk.

cheer's, Maka

Old 28-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi NCII4.0, not sure why the temp gauge is faked, have heard of au dash's giving false temp readings & boiling too unfortunately. Maybe the sensor is two stage not variable idk.

cheer's, Maka
Thanks for the reply Maka

I am looking at changing the sender over to make it variable
Hoping an E series sender will work
Old 28-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #13
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine sits at completely different spots for temps around 190f in comparison to the 210's gauge works perfectly fine in mine wouldn't say it's dummy gauge for looks
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: