Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default with ford closing gutted we don,t have aussie 4x4

As popular as territory is/was i,m preety disappointed that australia won,t have an aussie 4x4.i mean toyboata started with busted out old 4x4 .that realy had nothing going for it except it was tough.someone needs to beat toyboater at their own game and design a no frills aussie made 4x4.modern day fj landcruiser if you will.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: with ford closing gutted we don,t have aussie 4x4

What about the ford ranger ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We never did have an Australian-built mass produced 4x4, as in 4WD offroader. Territory is a crossover car. However, Ranger and Everest, though imported, are said to be Australian-designed.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW XRT View Post
As popular as territory is/was i,m preety disappointed that australia won,t have an aussie 4x4.i mean toyboata started with busted out old 4x4 .that realy had nothing going for it except it was tough.someone needs to beat toyboater at their own game and design a no frills aussie made 4x4.modern day fj landcruiser if you will.
Whilst the Territory is not a 4x4, I agree with your sentiment. Sadly, we will never see the Territory 'be all it can be' with more development dollars and an export market.

Perhaps the Everest demonstrates what could have been to a degree, because it was developed here, but it's a different car to the Tez.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

OKA?

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Lewy950
Starter Motor

Shame they stopped making the OKA. Apart from the 4x4 XY ute and a few Holden Overlanders it was the only proper Aussie 4x4.
Lewy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
We never did have an Australian-built mass produced 4x4, as in 4WD offroader. Territory is a crossover car. However, Ranger and Everest, though imported, are said to be Australian-designed.
Thats a shame ranger and everest can't be built here and instead have to come out of Thighland like a can of cheap $2 tuna
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was the Aussie 4x4 thing made out of a LandRover a little while back?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
What was the Aussie 4x4 thing made out of a LandRover a little while back?
That was the Land Rover Perenties made here by JRA for the Australian army back in the 80s and 90s. Not a public model but lots must be in private hands by now.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah thats not the one im thinking of, it was some sort of road legal buggy thing and had a V8
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
It'd be great to be able to support such a huge undertaking.....but even the new Fj landcruiser has got the chop as it wasn't selling enough. And that's a world marketed Toyota product. What chance does anyone else have at making a legitimate contender that is taken seriously! Terry was our shot......but it was gold while it lasted
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Nah thats not the one im thinking of, it was some sort of road legal buggy thing and had a V8
Bushranger....was just a fibreglass shell that you DIY onto an old rangie chassis. I think it was originally a pommie design anyway.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree with your thoughts.

Hey, there was also an Aussie Landrover Country diesel sold in the 1980's with the 4.0L Isuzu diesel - that I think was made here. Might be stretching it but I also think Toyota took that Isuzu diesel and it became the 2H motor of the 60 series Landcruiser. So yeah - a Cruiser powered Aussie 4x4 that doesn't rust!
Old 30-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Selling 10 year old technology that is built in a location with very high wages is not a good business model. Sales of the Falcon are a good case in point.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #15
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
It'd be great to be able to support such a huge undertaking.....but even the new Fj landcruiser has got the chop as it wasn't selling enough. And that's a world marketed Toyota product. What chance does anyone else have at making a legitimate contender that is taken seriously! Terry was our shot......but it was gold while it lasted
FJ Cruiser got the chop in US market in 2014 but it continues in Australia in Middle East . It was taken seriously as it sold over 200 000 ( big number for such a niche vehicle ) units since 2006 but you can't easily facelift retro car - they are more one off efforts.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 30-03-2015 at 11:43 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #16
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
FJ Cruiser got the chop in US market in 2014 but it continues in Australia in Middle East . It was taken seriously as it sold over 200 000 ( big number for such a niche vehicle ) units since 2006 but you can't easily facelift retro car - they are more one off efforts.
Yeah It only really did well in its first year tho with something like 60k sales, then big drop offs. In essence it was a poorly designed vehicle that was yes very niche. It's offroad ability isn't special and you can forget about lifting or putting bigger tyres on them easily. From what one of my fj crazy friends told me.....if they released an update....they had a hell of a lot of work to do. But it would obviously be received well.

Shows how hard it is if even Toyota couldn't do it easily. Retro or not!
Old 31-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #17
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bring back the XY Falcon 4X4
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah It only really did well in its first year tho with something like 60k sales, then big drop offs. In essence it was a poorly designed vehicle that was yes very niche. It's offroad ability isn't special and you can forget about lifting or putting bigger tyres on them easily. From what one of my fj crazy friends told me.....if they released an update....they had a hell of a lot of work to do. But it would obviously be received well.

Shows how hard it is if even Toyota couldn't do it easily. Retro or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
I actually happen to own one and its offroad abilty is Second to none for what you can get off the showroom floor :-) there is a large FJ community in US and in OZ and lifts and larger tyres are fairly easy not that you need it straight away as ground clearance is good and tyres are 32 oem. Mechanically they are a Prado V6 with good power to weight ratio for a proper 4wd (100kW per tonne) ,long range tank , low range and rear locker , crawl descent control - very capable off road.
Toyota produced FJ as a marketing excercise to add some spice to their mostly boring if efficient offerings. Niche product is just that - it fills the needs of limited in numbers but passionate group of customers , it was never intended to be a on top of the sales chart.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 31-03-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 31-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Thats a shame ranger and everest can't be built here and instead have to come out of Thighland like a can of cheap $2 tuna
Sorry to go off topic but I find this comment a low blow.
What is wrong with the Rangers that come out of Thailand?

Why do you need to persistently put down Thailand? Is it their fault they were chosen to build cars over us (not just Ford)? It is a competitive world out there, nothing stops us from throwing our hat into the ring.

Just FYI cans of tuna can be had for far less than $2 and aren't made in Thailand.
Old 31-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
I actually happen to own one and its offroad abilty is Second to none for what you can get off the showroom floor :-) there is a large FJ community in US and in OZ and lifts and larger tyres are fairly easy not that you need it straight away as ground clearance is good and tyres are 32 oem. Mechanically they are a Prado V6 with good power to weight ratio for a proper 4wd (100kW per tonne) ,long range tank , low range and rear locker , crawl descent control - very capable off road.
Toyota produced FJ as a marketing excercise to add some spice to their mostly boring if efficient offerings. Niche product is just that - it fills the needs of limited in numbers but passionate group of customers , it was never intended to be a on top of the sales chart.
Not to argue but a Jeep unlimited will wipe the floor over an Fj factory. Actually most jeep products will.
From what I've heard a comparable lift on an fj is similiar to that of lifting a stock GU Nissan patrol. They don't respond well unless you change other suspension parts like uper control arms. Is this true?
And what about the famous extruding chasis sticking into the wheel well?(meaning oversized tyres need metalwork) Or the stories I've read about the intrusive "trac" system in slippery offroad situations?
And I'd hate to bring up economy......what do you get ?
But of course there's things about EVERY car.

My Fj nut friend would still own one if it was abit better put together!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

Seriously, you bought Jeep into this convo?
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #22
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
Seriously, you bought Jeep into this convo?
Why not? Just a passing comment that I feel Jeep unlimiteds are the best 4x4 you can buy off the showroom.....by far. In fact the quality of the rest of the car is probably something an Aussie slap together company probably wouldnt find hard to match. Offroad ability is another story tho!
Old 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The thing that killed the FJ Cruiser was lack of a diesel engine. We test drove one, loved the quirky styling, but lack of a diesel engine meant no, we didn't buy. The Toyota dealer said he "heard rumours" that the following year they were putting a diesel in it. That would have been 2013...never happened.
Seeing as how underneath they're just a Prado it was very odd, but being built in the USA, it makes sense...Yanks think diesel is "semi trailer and train fuel" and still have a marked aversion to diesel powered passenger vehicles.

I've said before that one big reason...probably outside capital cities...that people didn't buy the Falcon is it doesn't meet their needs. They're not going to buy just for sentimental or patriotic reasons a vehicle that just doesn't do what they want. We needed, and wanted, a twin cab 4x4 diesel....a hell of a lot of people do these days. However there's literally nothing Australian made in that category, so the whinges about "think of the local industry" are just so much bulldust. The "local industry" simply didn't make what people wanted, and has paid for it.

And "a basic 4x4"? Who would buy it? People don't want "basic", and haven't since the early eighties. For the criminal price we pay for new vehicles in this country, you expect a few toys thrown in.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #24
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The thing that killed the FJ Cruiser was lack of a diesel engine. We test drove one, loved the quirky styling, but lack of a diesel engine meant no, we didn't buy. The Toyota dealer said he "heard rumours" that the following year they were putting a diesel in it. That would have been 2013...never happened.
Seeing as how underneath they're just a Prado it was very odd, but being built in the USA, it makes sense...Yanks think diesel is "semi trailer and train fuel" and still have a marked aversion to diesel powered passenger vehicles.

I've said before that one big reason...probably outside capital cities...that people didn't buy the Falcon is it doesn't meet their needs. They're not going to buy just for sentimental or patriotic reasons a vehicle that just doesn't do what they want. We needed, and wanted, a twin cab 4x4 diesel....a hell of a lot of people do these days. However there's literally nothing Australian made in that category, so the whinges about "think of the local industry" are just so much bulldust. The "local industry" simply didn't make what people wanted, and has paid for it.

And "a basic 4x4"? Who would buy it? People don't want "basic", and haven't since the early eighties. For the criminal price we pay for new vehicles in this country, you expect a few toys thrown in.
Funny thing is, fast forward 5 years and diesel will be history. Everyone's following fords ECO boost trend. Small petrol engines with boost.
And even if the USA public wanted diesels.....from memory it was the govco blocking them.
And our local industry despite building local cars in the falcon and commadore....that still didn't stop the parent companies having total say on what was made here. There's no way in hell they'd let us build a "low" selling cheap 4x4 just because a few people want them. We get what sells everywhere else. We were just "lucky" the falcon and commadore sold so well for along time, giving themselves a lease in life.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #25
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yanks think diesel is "semi trailer and train fuel" and still have a marked aversion to diesel powered passenger vehicles.
Nah, Yanks think "Diesel would be nice to have for performance, but can't justify it financially, so I'll make do with a 'gasser.'"
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Seriously you think a Ranger is cheap car, compared to my previous car which was a FG XR6 ute the XLT Ranger walks over it in quality & more reliable.
My comment is my opinion after purchasing these two new vehicles.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #27
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think Audi probably started the trend of downsized turbo engines.

I don't think retro styling woukdve been a hurdle either, how long did the 70 series Landcruiser last?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #28
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't think it was lack of diesel that had anything to do with "killing" the FJ in the US. The FJ has run its course and after 8 years of production they were not going to facelift a retro model. Aftermarket supply of parts for FJ is absolutely massive , it is very popular with serious 4wd crowd both in US and here.
In Australia FJ is still on sale and despite lack of diesel engine is still a good option for a basic 4wd. Petrol drivetrain is smooth and powerfull and ours returns 11l/100 in general use , Sky is the limit if you floor it at every set of lights or tow a heavy boat ( it would be in 20s) . With 159l fuel tank ,range is not an issue. Many have been converted to LPG with great success.
FJ that we get is actually built in Japan :-).
Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #29
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny thing is, fast forward 5 years and diesel will be history. Everyone's following fords ECO boost trend. Small petrol engines with boost.
And even if the USA public wanted diesels.....from memory it was the govco blocking them.
And our local industry despite building local cars in the falcon and commadore....that still didn't stop the parent companies having total say on what was made here. There's no way in hell they'd let us build a "low" selling cheap 4x4 just because a few people want them. We get what sells everywhere else. We were just "lucky" the falcon and commadore sold so well for along time, giving themselves a lease in life.
Mazda hasn't got on board with small displacement forced induction yet and is doing ok in Australia. Small modern turbo engines are not that economical in real life , you pay for for performance in fuel , regardless of engine configuration .
Old 01-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #30
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Mazda hasn't got on board with small displacement forced induction yet and is doing ok in Australia. Small modern turbo engines are not that economical in real life , you pay for for performance in fuel , regardless of engine configuration .
Are you talking about 4x4s or Mazda 3s.
I was more talking about how ford has developed world class ECO boost engines that cover EVERY vehicle class.....whether it's the multi world engine of the year, little 1l Eco boost or the ones that are now making even v8s in raptors null invoid.(however that said lol)