Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Can I borrow your car? ....what's your policy?

I was asked yesterday by a close friend if they could borrow my car..

I have a few cars at home and a close friend has his euro car in the workshop for a few weeks awaiting parts etc.

He has hired a car but says the shop is awaiting parts and they said parts would be a few weeks. Going to cost him a bomb to keep the hire car any longer. He has a young family that he needs to transport.

There are a few things to consider..

This mate has in the past loaned me his car for an extended period. So I know he would loan his car if the situation was opposite. No question, his cars are usually pretty new and usually approaching $100k in value as well so nice drives.

But this guy is not a car enthusiast, to him a car is to be used, parked anywhere, left outside, he has even on loaned a loan car.. If he has parked you in he will chuck you his cars to run up to shops etc. let other people drive it etc. So the car would get little special treatment, lucky if it was washed, likely to be parked in tight spots, maybe come back with some gutter rash on rims, back into a letterbox etc etc. he seems to find faults in cars he has loaned in the last, (he drives them rough).

I have a few cars and could give him by cheaper car but he probably expects my better car. My cars are insured but I just don't want the discussion when it comes back marked up in some way (likely). He would no doubt fix it but I'd rather it not happen at all.

But how can I deny him as I've borrowed his car in the past (but took impeccable care and even washed/waxed it before return).

Your thoughts on my response? What is your car loaning policy.

HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Can I borrow your car? ....what's your policy?

I don't have a policy it's case by case, but I'd say, in this case you don't have much option, but just because he wants your nice car doesn't mean you have to lend that one

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
nstg8a

I generally won't loan my cars, even though they're nothing flash.

But given he's already done you a favour I see you as being obligated to return the favour.

Give him the cheaper one, at the end of the day as long as it's safe it's still gonna be better than a renter for a few weeks.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO. I don't, have never and will never loan a car.
You explained very well why some people should just use hire cars.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my cars go to my kids only. they're the only ones on this planet i trust 100%
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
commonrails

I personally treat any car that i borrow better then my own and believe it is only common courtesy to do so, unfortunately in my experience little to no people have the same mentality. I lend my cars out every now and again to family/close friends and there is always something to get cranky about when they come back, from coffee stains in the cup holders all the way to scratches in the paint work. Don't get me wrong everyone always means well and fill the car up and thank you etc but if I didn't (like you) feel obligated I would say no.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
turboclown
Banned

Unless its some rare irreplaceable car it is just that a car, he has lent you his, he will fix any damage its a no brainer lend him your car. I dont care who drives any of my cars, usually if someone asks and ive known them for a while they can have a crack I know ill drive it harder then they do anyway.
turboclown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Nova 8

Rule is generally the keys are on top of the fish tank let yourself in and take it as you please, most of my friends and all of my family have keys to my house and come and go whenever. Most of the time they borrow my car (and trailer) is to tow. I wake up and someone has taken my car and left me their keys. That said all my friends treat my car with a great deal of respect, as they should.

Only once has it been returned with damage (scuffed wheel) which a mate denied was him but wasn't there the night before he borrowed it when I washed it (most likely his misses but the car was in HIS care). He is no longer allowed to touch my car and knows it well.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lend him one of the lesser cars provided it is safe and road worthy. Not worth the stress loaning the good one.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"never a borrower nor a lender be!"........... the reasoning behind the quotation is self explanatory.

direct family only for me, but you have left yourself wide open, he wouldn't get my "good car!" though.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My policy on loaning cars is directly underpinned to my policy on borrowing cars. I never will because I never have.

Unfortunately you set the rules of the game when you borrowed his.

As others have said - I'd offer him the cheaper car. If he really needs it to get out of a bind then he'll be grateful. If he expects better than there are a whole range of rentals out there.

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You bend it, you mend it. But I don't think it's unreasonable to put a couple of caveats on the loan; like, don't on lend it, please don't park it in tight spots, etc.
Basically, leave it how you found it. And, yes, I'd lend him the less expensive one, the one that will make you cringe the least if it gets knocked or stained.

If he's a good mate, he'll understand when you explain that you know he sees cars as tools and he won't normally look after it the way you would but as a car enthusiast you value your cars as more than just a tool and could he try and look after it the way you looked after his when you borrowed it.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

As much as I like cars, end of the day its just a car. Just an object that's duplicated a thousand times over and easily replaced. The fact he's helped you out in the past means you kind of have to, do you want to be the douchebag who wouldn't help a friend out after he helped you out. If he can afford to buy expensive Euro's he can certainly afford to fix up any minor damage he might inflict on a Falcon if it happened.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should have asked yourself this question before you borrowed his car.

If I'm not willing to lend stuff (cars included) I simply won't borrow from someone else.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
You bend it, you mend it. But I don't think it's unreasonable to put a couple of caveats on the loan; like, don't on lend it, please don't park it in tight spots, etc.
Basically, leave it how you found it. And, yes, I'd lend him the less expensive one, the one that will make you cringe the least if it gets knocked or stained.

If he's a good mate, he'll understand when you explain that you know he sees cars as tools and he won't normally look after it the way you would but as a car enthusiast you value your cars as more than just a tool and could he try and look after it the way you looked after his when you borrowed it.
This^^^^

From my own experience, when I worked overseas in that late 90's, I lent a good mate one of my cars to use since they were a one car family and we had 2, both of which would be idle for a while - we were going to be away for 6 weeks or so (turned into 13 months...). He crashed it twice in that time. Both times his fault - the first didn't worry me, but the second time was 3 days before I was due back - not happy Jan!

Insurance made the decision easier then - he was no longer allowed to drive my cars, and he paid the excess for each crash. Luckily I had and retained 60% NCB for life, otherwise he would've had to pay the additional premium too. We are no longer good mates - but for different reasons.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am reluctant to lend people kitchen appliances let alone cars. Immediate family only (and even then I have a sibling who I would never lend my car to). It's just not worth the hassle.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
turboclown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
This^^^^

From my own experience, when I worked overseas in that late 90's, I lent a good mate one of my cars to use since they were a one car family and we had 2, both of which would be idle for a while - we were going to be away for 6 weeks or so (turned into 13 months...). He crashed it twice in that time. Both times his fault - the first didn't worry me, but the second time was 3 days before I was due back - not happy Jan!

Insurance made the decision easier then - he was no longer allowed to drive my cars, and he paid the excess for each crash. Luckily I had and retained 60% NCB for life, otherwise he would've had to pay the additional premium too. We are no longer good mates - but for different reasons.
You do realise even with a ncb your risk changes and you still get penalised for claims
turboclown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboclown View Post
You do realise even with a ncb your risk changes and you still get penalised for claims
My premium didn't go up - it may have been due to go down, but I would never know that. And I didn't get penalised for claims since I was able to identify the driver at fault each time - my mate, not me. His policy possibly got affected since he had to report his crashes in my car to his insurer as well.....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #19
HULK_I6T
Banned

no doubt the favour is owed but i can guarantee the use on his part will be do as he please, if something happens to the car then get another would be the position.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always return a borrowed car in better condition than I got it, and I never thrash it (cars borrowed off friends and family, not rentals).
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Close friends / family greater than metal parts.
My close friends know how I enjoy my cars and even the non rev heads would treat them as i would. I'd never give it a second thought personally.

Also isn't the car/s insured?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Be a man & be up front with him why you don't want to lend him your good car, I'm sure he would understand.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yeah I let my friends use my cars, and I let them thrash the crap out of them and let them drive me around in my own cars, if we have to go get something they drive me in my car lol.

I let them thrash the crap out of my cars because I do it, so why would I be offended by it?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #24
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I don't lend my ride or my tools to anyone without special credence as to who they are.

Too much grief and bad blood in the past from doing it, I'll help anyone out - but promise turns into fail many times. I do lend my tools/ride to a few folk, but am very specific and guarded about it. You've gotta be damned special.

Benito, your mate has helped you out in the past with a ride, so I feel you're obligated to the same to help him out. Who care's if he's punted you with $100k plus rides mate? Not all of us have serious coin or a stable of cars. If I was your mate, I'd be stoked to get a car to drive and not have to pay for a hire. It's not all about prestige driving ffs, it's about driving around for the interim.

Give him the dumper - I'd appreciate that from a mate!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My Dad is the only other person who drives my car, and even then - rarely. He has it for a month now that I'm overseas, but he won't take it out of the garage, just start it and run it for a few minutes on weekends.

Luckily it's a manual, and my friends either can't drive manual, or don't have a licence, they would never ask.

I also suffer from "only child syndrome". It's mine, and I don't allow other people to play with my toys. I wouldn't even let a boyfriend or husband drive it.
Obsessive maybe, but no one else treats my things as well as I do, so I simply won't take the risk trusting them with it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

If they're under 25 or unwilling to pay my excess should something happen, hell no. That basically eradicates anyone in my life from borrowing it. There is one exception, and that's Tas.
I lose no sleep over this. None of my family members have the same respect for their cars that I do mine. My sister and her partner have had SEVERAL low speed incidents (reversing into letterboxes in two lane driveways, reversing into basket ball rings, you know, stuff we apparently all do). My mother's car is apparently white. I don't believe this, and it only gets serviced if I do it. So they go on the hell no list as well.

I generally run by the rule of "if you don't treat your own *insert item here* as well as I treat mine, there is no way I can trust you to treat mine any better" rule. Works a treat!
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #27
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"but no one else treats my things as well as I do, so I simply won't take the risk trusting them with it."

Exactly, that's why I don't lend anything. I've bought good quality mechanics tools since 1966 and very quickly learnt that other mechanics are only too happy to use and abuse your good stuff rather than use their own cheap crap.
Same with my trailer, loaned a few times to have it come back with the trailer plug dragged along the ground, rear tailgate retaining clips missing and most times not even cleaned out. Loaned my scoped rifle and finished up with it dropped on the ground, I'm over lending stuff.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #28
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

As the saying goes , never lend out your car or your woman, they both will come back F'd.
I have an old XE I might lend in an emergency, never a good car.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #29
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

*throw the keys over* "Dont come back till the rears are gone"
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #30
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
As the saying goes , never lend out your car or your woman, they both will come back F'd.
I have an old XE I might lend in an emergency, never a good car.

i dunno, my XE 4.9 4 speed ESP was a pretty good highway car, my ex however......
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post