Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
commandojones

Cool What to do?....

Hi guys,

I guess I'm new here on ford forums, I trawl the threads a lot but I don't post much. Anyway, I have a dilemma and I was hoping to get some constructive feed back from some fellow ford owners.

Some background, I have just finished uni last year, I am working now (mech. engineer). I own a near stock AU2 xr8 220 factory manual with a cat back exhaust (changed it because the other one was rusted out). I am pretty happy with it but I thinking of modifying it to my tastes. The t5 is a little noisey and the clutch makes some strange clunking noise etc. Also clutch cable are now obsolete from FORD. I think it would be good insurance to change it out (t56 sounds good with hyd. comnversion).

So I have a list of mods (below) bought I don't know whether I should bother or sell it and get a FG GS (5.4 ltr manual which I personally like as is) which I have my eye on, for about 30k, the 5.0 S/C too expensive. (20k would be financed too for the purchase of the GS which I am not keen on doing).I don't race or go to the drags much but I do like to give my car a tickle every now and again.

For the xr8 I was hoping for around 220kw to 250kw atw. I would like to stay with the 302 capacity though a 347 is looking viable too.

List of mods:
Pacemaker headers Tri-y $662.40
Catalytic converters 2.5" x2 $350.00
AFR 165cc 80cc Heads $1,459.85
ARP bolt kit $38.39
Hardened Push rods $60.00
Prop Comp Gasket set $50.99
BBK intake 5.0 manifold $711.00
Xr6 turbo sec. intake $81.50
Phenolic spacer $39.51
Valve covers $320.00
T56 Transmission $2,500.00
Malwood hydraulic pedal $790.00
Delwood Conversion kit (800hp clutch) $2,970.00
Coil overs $1,695.00
Bonnet with hump $440.00
Head lights $150.00
bumper bar $280.00
Wheels $995.00
Tyres $700.00

Estimated Cost: (with out tuning and consumables) $15-16k

I am not saying this combo with make my 220rwkw but I will continue to mod until I get there.

What do you think I should do? What is the quicker and more reliable option? Better to live with everyday?
Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Clint.

(I apologise now if I have posted in the incorrect section)

commandojones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What to do?....

IMO I would get the GS, sell the AU.

My reasons, newer car.
Power is already there without mods.
Nice to drive.
AU is around 15 years old.
More things may need repairing on the AU.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If it were me and you were going to spend that sort of coin and then some on the AU I would personally spend it on a S/C GS instead, hunt around and find a bargain, it will happen.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG GTs are around $30k now.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen some Boss 5.0 SC GS's on carsales for below 30k... I wouldn't waste my time with the 5.4 motor when the SC one could be had for around the same $$
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If you're planning on spending that much money on a AU, I would say get the GS. A lot of money to spend on a relatively old car that is likely to have other issues go wrong with it along the way. GS while unlikely to be trouble free, should be less of a money pit.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
commandojones

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am leaning towards the GS now, I really don't like borrowing for a car (liability) but in the long run it give me a more reliable ride. It will cost me 45k im guessing by the time I have paid it off...

I can see myself spending more cash on the Au also, cos the paint work is fading, I found a rust patch inside the boot....

Thoughts on a F6 vs a GS?
Old 25-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandojones View Post

That's dangerous territory mate to ask that question…

Seriously though depends on what you want and like from a car, take both for a test drive and see which one tickles your fancy, it's your car so you need to buy what suits you.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had a AUII XR8 220 simply replacing the mufflers with sports (Rapid Exhaust) Mufflers, removing the rear muffler/resonator (replace with Hot-Dogs) and adding an SS Inductions CAI with a K&N filter (about $850 -$1000 total) - relatively cheap and massively transformed the cars performance, huge bang for your buck gain. Might be worth trying before making further serious plans.

http://www.ssinductions.com.au/categ...8/Ford-AU-XR8/

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 25-03-2014 at 12:39 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
commandojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
When I had a AUII XR8 220 simply removing the rear muffler/resonator (replace with Hot-Dogs) and adding an SS Inductions CAI with a K&N filter (about $650 -$750 total) - relatively cheap and massively transformed the cars performance, huge bang for your buck gain. Might be worth trying before making further serious plans.

http://www.ssinductions.com.au/categ...8/Ford-AU-XR8/
It goes pretty good as it is, I have scared a few people.... I am concerned the gearbox may not last much longer so went looking into a conversion. I was hoping to make use of the plentiful supply of ba xr8 tr3650s but the bellhousing is the same piece as the body making it hard to make it work. Tickford made adapter plates for T3 but they are few and far between...

Any know about anyone actually fiiting a ba xr8 tr3650 to an Windsor?

"That's dangerous territory mate to ask that question…"

Haha yes I bet that would be dangerous to ask on here.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Spurious

From a financial aspect I would keep the AU & slowly put the money into it, especially if you already own it outright.

I lean toward that scenario 'cause I believe the value of these models will slowly increase with time. Plus considering that ford production is ceasing you will wind up with a little gem.

I had an '85 XF s-pack for 10 years, bought in '99 for the princely sum of $650. Sold it in 2010 for $2000.
I was torn at the time 'cause it had rust in the "A" pillar & I wanted to upgrade, but over the course of that 10 years I had renewed almost every moving part on the car. Between '07 & '09 it got me across the Nullabor & back (NSW to WA & back) & didn't miss a beat.

It was a regretful sale 'cause I knew the vehicle front to back & if I had waited another 5 to 8 years I could have easily tripled my money if I sold it & the value would have only crept higher with time.

The rarer they are the more they're worth. Falcons are an Aussie icon.

It's a touch choice you've got. Between debt or happiness...I would choose happiness.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
HULK_I6T
Banned

To spend that sort of coin on a AU makes little sense especially since you have said your car is showing some signs of age.

To get a loan (around $20k) to buy a GS or GT isnt a great decision for someone starting out in life after uni. Depreciating asset + interest payments is a one-two punch that will TKO you..

Id keep the AU and spend $2000-3000 on a few bang for buck mods, dont put yourself under unnecessary financial pressure.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It goes pretty good as it is, I have scared a few people.... I am concerned the gearbox may not last much longer so went looking into a conversion. I was hoping to make use of the plentiful supply of ba xr8 tr3650s but the bellhousing is the same piece as the body making it hard to make it work. Tickford made adapter plates for T3 but they are few and far between...

Sounds like a lot of effort...you would need to modify your bell housing or as you indicate fit or fabricate an adapter plate. Then you might have an issue with the input shaft - splines, Diameter and length (unless you used a BA Clutch). You would need to check the respective workshop manuals for specs. I have the BA specs if that would help. Some Diagrams attached.

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 25-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Here is another option for your gearbox.
http://www.twinlight.com.au/
Look under gearbox adaptors.
Its something I am very seriously considering for my ute.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
shyun

Well if you just want to make it go fast, I would get a stroker kit, decent cam (.550+ lift), decent heads (like AFR 205) and some extractors...that should cost 5-6k for parts. But if there's other things wrong like gearbox and suspension and body work, well I guess it depends how much you like that car.
Also where can you get AFR 165's for 1450??
shyun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
commandojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyun View Post
Well if you just want to make it go fast, I would get a stroker kit, decent cam (.550+ lift), decent heads (like AFR 205) and some extractors...that should cost 5-6k for parts. But if there's other things wrong like gearbox and suspension and body work, well I guess it depends how much you like that car.
Also where can you get AFR 165's for 1450??
Yeh fast is my aim... I don't think my gearbox could handle the stroker and cam. Suspension is good, coil overs is just a want not a need the body work isn't so good but it can be fixed with a good cut and polish and maybe vinyl wrap the roof gloss black (to sort of match the silhouette paint).

I cant find where my link went to the AFR 165s at that price, they didn't included postage from the US either...

MrEL,

That twinlight adapter mod is new to me, do you know why the specify a commodore t56 and not a ford one?

f6_benito,

Yeh I am currently paying off a loan for a FG falcon which I bought for my misses - nearly done. I am not keen on getting into large debt just being out of uni, I am paying off my hecs atm.

I know the AU is old, but I do like it. Its a very underrated car and I think you can make them look good (ts50 front end helps). I think I will look into minimising my mods and start off with a gearbox and slowly get spend money on it.

I have wasted 12k on my first car and then sold it for 2k, I miss my old EB.

Thanks guys!
Old 25-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not look at a BA F6 or BF xr6 turbo or XR8?
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
commandojones

I am not a huge fan of the b series much, I think they are too heavy and under powered. Everyone seems to have an xr6 turbo, they are quick but yeh.... My old man has an xr8 ute and I have owned a ba xr6 sedan, nice cars but too heavy and use too much juice. I feel the FG's are a big step over the B series IMO.
Old 25-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an AUIII XR8 and have found myself in a similar situation to you, also a Mech Eng!

I looked into a proper T56 Magnum conversion from Mal Wood and it was somewhere around 9 grand all up. The AU spec T5 has an unusual shifter position which doesn't correspond to any of the standard T56 positions so it needs to be modified. I can't justify this on a car that is only worth about that now (look at carpoint- be lucky to get 10 for it if it was immaculate with reasonable km!)

I've also had a BF XR6 with 6AT for a while which I drive to work. It's a far more refined car and only marginally slower due to the 6AT. Not sure what my next move is but I've already sunk a heap into the XR8 in suspension, brakes, tune so I can track it and every further $ seems like it's wasted.

Last edited by madmelon; 25-03-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Typo
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
buggo
[BU66OS]

What about a G6ET?

Will be less money than a GS and quiclker than the 5.4. Not as common as the XR6 Turbo. Will have more life than a modified AU. Like you say, the FG's are a big step up over previous models and G6E has all the kit and is a very nice place to be in. And can be had for low 20's in real good nick.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #21
commandojones

Unhappy Re: What to do?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
What about a G6ET?

Will be less money than a GS and quiclker than the 5.4. Not as common as the XR6 Turbo. Will have more life than a modified AU. Like you say, the FG's are a big step up over previous models and G6E has all the kit and is a very nice place to be in. And can be had for low 20's in real good nick.
I have thought about a G6ET, really nice car. Choices, the more I think about I think I will stick with what I have for a little while longer, mod it a little and save for a newer car later.

I think if I do mods that could add value (if they exist lol) it may not be such a waste.

madmelon,

Go mech eng hey! I'm working at Marand Precision Engineering in Melbourne, they were responsible for all the tooling for the Barra and Orion projects such a same there wont be anymore in the future.
Old 25-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandojones

This is the only one I know of but its a track car, have a good read/look at the pictures on page 1 & 3 that should answer most of your questions

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11400693

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #23
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
the more I think about I think I will stick with what I have for a little while longer, mod it a little and save for a newer car later.

I think if I do mods that could add value (if they exist lol) it may not be such a waste.

smart decision.. uni paid off!!
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
I have thought about a G6ET, really nice car. Choices, the more I think about I think I will stick with what I have for a little while longer, mod it a little and save for a newer car later.

If you go the GS way or even a G6ET you will be hit with depreciation, so personally I think doing up the AU if its a good one, would be the best idea IMO. Perhaps leave the engine mods till later unless those areas need attention. You should be able to do a lot of the work yourself at weekends etc, which is an enjoyable pastime. And there will be negligible further depreciation with the AU, just the cost of whatever you spend on it.

Don't think about BA as suggested, the AU's were a better car.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #25
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Look to where you will be at the end of 5 years (assuming that by sending money on either the AU or a new car you will have both for this period of time).

What is the AU worth as it sits? $5k?
Spend $17k on it over time it owes you $22k and in 5 years' time is worth $5k.
Lose $17k over time

New FG GS (or whatever) Spend $45k over 5 years (you quoted an all up cost)
Value at 5 years (based on 9 years old BA II GT with lots of miles) $20k
Lose $25k over time.

You can modify the spending on the AU to suit, you will spend the money on the FG. If you want out of the FG, you will lose money. If you want out of the AU, you won't lose as much.

As a rule, don't borrow for assets that will not make money for you. If it was me, I'd stick with the AU.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
commandojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Look to where you will be at the end of 5 years (assuming that by sending money on either the AU or a new car you will have both for this period of time).

What is the AU worth as it sits? $5k?
Spend $17k on it over time it owes you $22k and in 5 years' time is worth $5k.
Lose $17k over time

New FG GS (or whatever) Spend $45k over 5 years (you quoted an all up cost)
Value at 5 years (based on 9 years old BA II GT with lots of miles) $20k
Lose $25k over time.

You can modify the spending on the AU to suit, you will spend the money on the FG. If you want out of the FG, you will lose money. If you want out of the AU, you won't lose as much.

As a rule, don't borrow for assets that will not make money for you. If it was me, I'd stick with the AU.
Thanks mate, I think that makes the most sense of anything I heard so far. I will tone down the mods and enjoy it for what it is. I think I will wait and see how long the t5 will hold it out, if I breaks I should have the conversion saved for by then (fingers crossed).

Cheers for the link ebgtjames, I will check that out as another option. Thanks again guys!
Old 25-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ohhhhh this sounds familiar, been there done that. I had a heavily modded XR8 ute with similar specs to what youre looking at doing (except gearbox) and I sold it to get into an FG XR Ute.

Did I regret it? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. FG was awesome dont get me wrong, but it's almost clinical how it delivers its power. No character, no soul, and the fuel consumption was over double what the AU was. It was a 5.4 too.

But - would I spend what you're looking at it doing on the AU? Honestly probably not after doing it once already. You will end up with a bloody nice car but it will cost you mega bucks and at the end of the day it will still not keep up with most newer models. Of course thats not why we do it but be prepared to be annoyed when you cop your first trouncing from a stock VE or FG.

I think what it will come down to is what is the smarter move for you - can you handle the fact that you will never see the money again (whichever way you choose)? Do you want to keep the AU for a long time to come, or would you be tempted by a newer model? Make the call for yourself. The AU mods will be fun but expensive, the GS will be the same but wont require half as much work as what the AU will.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #28
commandojones

That's will really p me off getting spanked by a stock ve, damn I hate those cars. Getting the au to hit 100km in 5.4s would be a challenge.... Maybe be a long term goal.

I had this thought after reading tick4d-tas thread on his race car. If he has modified the bellhousing to fit a ba tr3650. If I was to cut off the cast bell housing a machine it to suit my t5 bell housing that may be a winner. i would have to check this out fully but an idea.
Old 25-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #29
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

F6 cause they are nicer.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
That's will really p me off getting spanked by a stock ve, damn I hate those cars. Getting the au to hit 100km in 5.4s would be a challenge.... Maybe be a long term goal.

I had this thought after reading tick4d-tas thread on his race car. If he has modified the bellhousing to fit a ba tr3650. If I was to cut off the cast bell housing a machine it to suit my t5 bell housing that may be a winner. i would have to check this out fully but an idea.
I reckon if i had my time again I would go straight to the forced induction route. N/A is good but the power to cost just doesn't add up.