Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Brewtal ED

Default Lumpy/missing under acceleration

Hey guys,

Noticed yesterday that under acceleration my s3 xr6 is strugling. Feels like it's missing a beat. Even the idle seems rougher today. I just changed the plugs and leads this morning but nothing helped there, took it our for a spin and it almost seems to have a lumpy exhaust note now when taking off. Any thoughts?

I thought possibly fuel filter but I can't get the nut undone without causing severe damage to change it out.

Going to book into a mechanic next week if I can't figure it out. Any ideas would be great, cheers

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
Brewtal ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Brewtal ED

Default Re: Lumpy/missing under acceleration

Side note, even the tacho seems to be getting semi stuck whilst accelerating, it stutters over the numbers, not smooth at all.

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

wold be a good idea to figure out if is actually firing on all six, take a plug out (with the lead still attched) and crank it for a bit and see if it sparks.
not by touching it though
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #4
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Squeeze two spanners on the filter nut (not too tight, especially if you aren't using pipe spanner) and tap the nut attached to the fuel line with the smallest hammer that you have.

It doesn't sound like it's the cause of your problem though. Good luck with it
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Brewtal ED

Turned out to be a faulty coil pack. Cheers Mr Hardware, quick and easy test that I should have done to start with haha. Oh well, at least I know know the plugs, leads and coil are all brand new now haha.

Car accelerates and idles perfectly now, although the tacho needle still stutters up the rev range. Not a huge issue as car is ok, but is there any reason this may be happening?

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
Old 20-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Brewtal ED

Disregard sticking tachometer, seems to have fixed itself (always the BEST kind of fixes haha). Maybe just needed the cobwebs blown out this morning

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
Old 20-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Maybe be only sticking in hot weather? Or cold weather. Or near a full moon and at high tide ;)
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtal ED View Post
Disregard sticking tachometer, seems to have fixed itself (always the BEST kind of fixes haha). Maybe just needed the cobwebs blown out this morning
My car also sometimes suffers from the sticky tacho issue also. I found in only happens when the car sits in the sun on a hot day for a few hours. Not sure what the cause is maybe some parts in the cluster are expanding to much in the heat.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
Prezident
Starter Motor

Oh wow!! I'm having the same problems as you had! My tacho gets stuck at 2k then will jump to 3k then start jittering up to 3.5k. As for the rough idle, I'm getting that too, I've been thinking its the coil pack but thought two different mechanics would of checked that, one changed leads and spark plug, other did who knows cost me twice as much and replaced my fuel reg. I've had my gas blow on me twice in 4 months. All because of this rough idle and stuttering acceleration!! Will try this out thanks!
Prezident is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post