Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default Audi SQ5- humble pie tastes so good!

Just ordered one of these to replace the missus' beloved Q7 with the 4.2FSI V8 petrol.

I'll add to this I DESPISE diesel cars. I hate them. I can't attest as to how much, I just do. Hence eating humble pie- I said I'd never buy a diesel car.

But this thing is an absolute polished, genuine weapon of a car. I'm blown away by it. It's very well finished but that typical Audi and exactly what I expected. I'll add that this is the same price as a fully loaded Range Rover Evoque and worlds apart as for what you actually get. The Evoque is also the car she wanted, but she was so disappointed with it but absolutely fell in love with the SQ5. I can't believe how quick it was though and it actually doesn't sound anything like a diesel. People say that a lot about new cars but the Rangie sounded every bit like a crappy old diesel, it was so noisy... My wife's not a car person, but she had a smile from ear to ear after driving the SQ5, comparatively she told me she could get used to the Rangie. I don't want to spend $100k on a car that she's happy to get used to, if she doesn't love it we're not getting it.

Has anyone got or looked at one of these?

Should be here in two weeks and I'll be sad to see the big Q7 go- I love the 4.2 petrol V8 engine with its Remus exhaust and smooth beautiful, sophisticated engine note at 6800rpm. We've not had one single issue with the Q7 and I'd still argue that it's a better car than the one were buying but it is time to change and the SQ5 fits the bill perfectly.

But I'm still amazed at how impressed I was with the SQ5- I had to have it.

For the wife of course...:

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
RJx307

Default Re: Audi SQ5- humble pie tastes so good!

I saw one at a dealership and was a passenger in one in the states, I secretly want an s5/rs5 lol but those audi's even the q series are a great piece of gear...the sq5 just takes it to another level imo

I would hope they dont pull out an sq7 for a few years lol (I fear they will a year or two after the next q7 refresh).
RJx307 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Congrats on your new buy. You still can't convince me that diesels aren't evil though.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

How was the depreciation on the Q7?
Old 23-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

How many coins for the SQ5?

Sounds too much like a Singapore Airlines flight for my liking
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
How many coins for the SQ5?

Sounds too much like a Singapore Airlines flight for my liking
that's Gold.

Apparently they're a good bit of kit if you're into that sort of thing.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think I've ever been able to study an Audi that's not a blur. In my European driving they're the ones that pass you at about 220 km/h

Many of these European marques are only idling under Australian driving restrictions. Take it up to NT!

Be aware of this though - Audi tends to bring up the rearguard of VAG reliability and quality:

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer/relIndex
(click on the various categories in the dropdown menu)

But hopefully you're one of the lucky ones. The most reliable German-built cars nowadays are Fords, but I guess the driving experience isn't the same!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Rodge
Banned

Autocar U.K's review - 3.5 stars
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/audi/sq5
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Audi certainly know how to put together a quality interior!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
How was the depreciation on the Q7?
hard question to answer Trev...

We bought it as a demo in June of 2009 as a 3500km 2008 model car. Sticker price was $123,000 plus On roads. New at the time was $143k on road. Petrol V8, 5 seats, height of the GFC- no one wanted it.

We paid $100k on road.

Selling for $50-55k now, could fire sale it for $45k, been offered $37k as a trade.

Brand new equivalent is $155k on road. So takes a dive from retail but 40% after 4.5 years for petrol V8 massive 5 seat SUV- it's probably not terrible, but only because we bought it right.

When you think youve lost $60k then it's bad, but resale is relative to percentages and at 40% its acceptable....

New SQ5 is $105k on road.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 23-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Congrats on your new buy. You still can't convince me that diesels aren't evil though.
I still hate diesels, but this impressed me.

I've got three of the greatest V8 Fords you can buy- an XY 351 clevo, a T3 TE50 with the 5.6L stroked Windsor and a FG GT with a Boss 335 Miami.

I'll be ok with one diesel.

As long as its this one that goes like stink!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I think Diesels are great!

They make your weekend toy even faster than you remember

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove one a few weeks ago -- they go and stop really well....bargain at price they are asking.

Good choice !
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #14
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Boss just picked one up yesterday, I'm keen to know about the long term ownership critique about them.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
BDA074

I test drove one and they are impressive. Couldn't get past the diesel though and ordered a BMW X4 35i with the MSport package. The straight 6 turbo petrol is an awesome engine...
Old 25-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
Sioso
irregular member

Only complaint of heard of is the stop/start not being perfect, maybe Jim can confirm or deny this?
They sound awesome, that burble from a diesel is pretty cool.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I'm with jim, all the way.

I hate diesels, and swore I'd never own one. 12 months ago we borrowed the sq5 from our dealer while they had our S3, and after 600km I had to be dragged out of the drivers seat!

Last weekend, we walked back out of the same dealer having handed over the Amex. They did a good changeover on the S3 which has been a good little car, but after 4 1/2 years we,ve grown out of it. And 2lt turbos become boring, tiring to make go quick. Although we will miss a slick little 6 speed manual transmission.

The Sq5 is a serious SUV, and is quicker than any stock aspirated Falcadoor I've ever driven. FPV HSV included. You need to be a good bloody driver to make a manual Falcadoor do 5 to 100km. In the SQ5, you stand on it, time after time. The roll-on 80kmh overtaking is eye opening, not something that a 2000kg truck should be capable of. Adjustable suspension, transmission, 380mm brakes. And a proper interior with quality plastics, real metal, real leather, quality cloth and sumptuous carpet material. Panel gaps consistent, paint that's more than cling wrap in thickness, and NVH levels shaming more expensive motorcars.

Looked at the Porsche, the AMG, and BMW. the Latter is over priced. The AMG is a highly strung petrol turbo needing lts of engine speed. And the little Porsche in petrol T version is expensive. And don't even ask about the cost option $$$! Although I have to confess, an AMG Mercedes would have major badge cred.

Audi ticked all boxes, was best value while delivering the most enjoyable mix of motor, trans, and chassis while remaining perfectly liveable on rough roads over the Long term.
Did I mention the sound?

Gone from a diesel hater, to a LOVER of this particular version.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 25-01-2015 at 09:51 AM.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Soundwise, is the exhaust note not electronically generated on the SQ5 in order for it not to sound like a diesel.

How is the size of these compared to Falcodor, they look small.

Nice bit of kit though and agree it is a comparative bargain for what it is, 0-100 in 5 seconds is usually much more expensive than 100k in a euro

Last edited by Stefan; 25-01-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #19
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Not sure, I think I read somewhere it has got some funkiness engineered into the exhaust system. Can't confirm if its electronic or just chambers? In any case, don't care, because it works great!

Not like you'd put an aftermarket system on one of these, it's got plenty of volume at 5100rpm.

Bigger than Falcadoor, more space and cargo, external dimensions about same I think, but higher roofline. Looks small due to proportions, not so much actual size me thinks.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #20
nstg8a

I can't see the pics?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
Sioso
irregular member

sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORXAI-4D5w
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #22
Morry

I have owned my SQ5 since July 2013 and I love it. I traded my 500kw FG F6 for a Deisel and have never looked back. The exhaust sound is made by speakers that are built into the system,yes it might be fake but it does sound really good. The build quality of the car is great and I haven't had any dramas with it so far. It has 37000klms on it so far and averages 6.5L per 100. I have added a Kraftwerks Deisel moduel that has increased the power from 230 to 272kw and 650 to 760nm. Audi has added a third electric turbo to this motor and have been testing it in a RS5,this motor will be in their lineup in the next few years. It produces 280kw,750nm,0-100 in 4.3 secs and 5.3L per 100. Not bad for a Deisel. I love dusting HSV's at the lights yet I do feel sorry for the fords. Some people take the TDI badge off the back but I like people to know that it's a Turbo Deisel,how embarrassing getting done by a Deisel lol.
Morry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #23
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Diesel's are great, i do drive basically a tractor tho, nothing special about my TD42 patrol motor, except it just goes and goes and has bucket loads of torques, not bad for a vehicle with 325,000ks lol

Good buy on the Audi tho, and with those other vehicles in your possession its no wonder you wanted big power lol
Old 27-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #24
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

They're a phenomenal car, are the SQ5's. For $90K, they're also a performance bargain. I reckon that they're significantly quicker than my previous, unmodified F6 X and thanks to the funky, albeit artificial engine note - they sound better as well. Hit the "Dynamic" button and the noise made inside as well as out just defies belief that anything fitted with an oiler could sound or go this good.

What a great purchase. I'm officially jealous!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #25
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best part is SQ5 comes with ZF 8 speed torque converter auto instead of DSG .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #26
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry View Post
I have owned my SQ5 since July 2013 and I love it. I traded my 500kw FG F6 for a Deisel and have never looked back. The exhaust sound is made by speakers that are built into the system,yes it might be fake but it does sound really good. The build quality of the car is great and I haven't had any dramas with it so far. It has 37000klms on it so far and averages 6.5L per 100. I have added a Kraftwerks Deisel moduel that has increased the power from 230 to 272kw and 650 to 760nm. Audi has added a third electric turbo to this motor and have been testing it in a RS5,this motor will be in their lineup in the next few years. It produces 280kw,750nm,0-100 in 4.3 secs and 5.3L per 100. Not bad for a Deisel. I love dusting HSV's at the lights yet I do feel sorry for the fords. Some people take the TDI badge off the back but I like people to know that it's a Turbo Deisel,how embarrassing getting done by a Deisel lol.
If I had to give up my Ford to have one, it wouldn't have happened. I'm lucky the SQ5 sits in the esteemed company of two great GT's. What the SQ5 does though is fill a gap and provides that European quality the wife really wanted while my persuasiveness in getting the wife to go for the SQ5 satisfies the performance box any car would have had to deliver.

When I'm running the kids around or on long trips etc, it's just awesome. I have the individual settings programmed to deliver that note all day long and I love the fact that Audi have delivered the performance and someone's gone, "yeah but it needs to sound better". That's an enthusiasts approach to building a car to me. And I love that.

Fuel economy for me is a bit of a novelty. I've long had fast, powerful cars and just accepted that they use in the realms of 20L/100km PLUS. Like you mate, our SQ5 averages 6.5L/100km consistently. It's incredible. The one thing that has been mentioned is the stop/start thing, but that's just something we need to get used to from now on- especially diesels. Understanding very well what a DPF does and how it works, I encourage my wife to leave the stop/start turned on as much as it does detract from the driving experience somewhat.

The upside, as I've said before, is hosing a HSV from the lights in a diesel that's not even running when the lights go green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I'm with jim, all the way.

I hate diesels, and swore I'd never own one. 12 months ago we borrowed the sq5 from our dealer while they had our S3, and after 600km I had to be dragged out of the drivers seat!

Last weekend, we walked back out of the same dealer having handed over the Amex. They did a good changeover on the S3 which has been a good little car, but after 4 1/2 years we,ve grown out of it. And 2lt turbos become boring, tiring to make go quick. Although we will miss a slick little 6 speed manual transmission.

The Sq5 is a serious SUV, and is quicker than any stock aspirated Falcadoor I've ever driven. FPV HSV included. You need to be a good bloody driver to make a manual Falcadoor do 5 to 100km. In the SQ5, you stand on it, time after time. The roll-on 80kmh overtaking is eye opening, not something that a 2000kg truck should be capable of. Adjustable suspension, transmission, 380mm brakes. And a proper interior with quality plastics, real metal, real leather, quality cloth and sumptuous carpet material. Panel gaps consistent, paint that's more than cling wrap in thickness, and NVH levels shaming more expensive motorcars.

Looked at the Porsche, the AMG, and BMW. the Latter is over priced. The AMG is a highly strung petrol turbo needing lts of engine speed. And the little Porsche in petrol T version is expensive. And don't even ask about the cost option $$$! Although I have to confess, an AMG Mercedes would have major badge cred.

Audi ticked all boxes, was best value while delivering the most enjoyable mix of motor, trans, and chassis while remaining perfectly liveable on rough roads over the Long term.
Did I mention the sound?

Gone from a diesel hater, to a LOVER of this particular version.
I did the same as you Tex- looked at all of those, but what started it was my wife wanted a Range Rover Evoque. No offence to anyone with one, but what a horrible car. Even my missus didn't like it.

But at the dollars you have to lay down for an SQ5- absolute performance bargain, for all of the reasons you've said.

We bought ours and got a 3 years/100,000km free servicing too, so it's cost nothing to run, and resale is incredible on these. For a family hack, don't think we could have done better. And the wife is proud as punch of her Audi That makes me happy too.

We've done 23,000km in ours in 14 months- it's the only car we drive on the weekends as a family (everyones too scared to go in either other car )

All in all, a very positive ownership experience to date, as was our last Q7 too.

I do miss (and the wife does too) the big Q7 and reckon we'll be a contender for the new one coming out in October at some point, but the SQ5 has proven to be capable of so much and is just an incredible car. On the size thing too, they're a lot bigger than they appear- no issues there at all.

Couldn't recommend enough to any prospective buyers....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #27
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Audi certainly knows how to knock together a diesel engine..... Le Mans winners with a TDI car in 06, 07, 08, 10 and 11.
Here is an oldie but a goodie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9B22bJjGU
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #28
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Not really a surprise that Audi is building a car like this. Anyone ever been for a Ride in the V10 Volkswagen R50 Touareg, 258kw and 850Nm and with a chip 300kw and 1000Nm. Its no different to a high performance petrol, build the engine with better parts and turn up the boost. But you have to say that it is pretty awesome to literally smoke a HSV(diesel smoke).
Old 28-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was very surprised by one a few months back - The lady driving it gave it a squirt, and i was caught in the wrong gear in the GT, the roll on acceleration of the SQ5 was awesome. Took me a bit to reel it in. Certainly made me go home and look up what the hell it was. Very good bit of kit.

I was considering one for the wife, but i wanted something 4x4 capable and 7 seats, so unfortunately passed on the SQ5. If i didn't want 4x4 or 7 seats, i'd have one.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #30
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Default Audi SQ5- humble pie tastes so good!

Not the greatest pics, but this is the wife's mode of transport

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
7 users like this post: