Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default What to do? Sell ? from UK

Looking for everyone’s thoughts....
My daughter’s partner has got a promotion (good news). Bad news is they need a second car for $5,000 or less. Been looking in Sydney but nothing much I like yet.
However I could sell them MY AUII (they could pay in instalments).
But I don't know. I was planning on keeping the AU for another 4 years.
The paint needs work on the roof and boot (and a side panel needs work).
The lifters are noisy but it runs like a dream and it’s got low Kms.
I can afford to spend more on a car (another AU or BA maybe say up to $10,000) but I can't make up my mind. I have about 1 month to find them a car.
Thoughts / comments would be appreciated.
UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: What to do? Sell ? from UK

UK, i'll only agree for you to sell your AU IF you buy another AU lol! Seriously, you know your AU (its a good one) but if theres a chance to get a better AU i say go for it.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
UK, i'll only agree for you to sell your AU IF you buy another AU lol! Seriously, you know your AU (its a good one) but if theres a chance to get a better AU i say go for it.

cheers, Maka
Thats part of my thougts, my daughter would be getting a good car with known faults, but on the down side I would have to start from stratch.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
That's part of my thoughts, my daughter would be getting a good car with known faults, but on the down side I would have to start from scratch.
UK
I agree with Maka. You did the work on the AU and of course, it was a labour of Love so, what is wrong with finding another AU and put goodness into it?
Give you something to do and you KNOW you want to.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I reckon there'd be things you'd want to do different this time round. Maybe start with a Fairmont Ghia or XR as a base.

Perhaps you've wanted a V8, or sunroof?

In any case, they'd get a solid car and you'd get a higher spec model for not much than you'd be selling yours for.

There's my 2cents worth!

All the best with your deliberations!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
UK, i'll only agree for you to sell your AU IF you buy another AU lol! Seriously, you know your AU (its a good one) but if theres a chance to get a better AU i say go for it.....Maka
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
I agree with Maka. You did the work on the AU and of course, it was a labour of Love so, what is wrong with finding another AU and put goodness into it?
Give you something to do and you KNOW you want to.
Yours was one of the first threads i read from start to finish. The detail you put into things was amazing. GK, Maka, Papa Smurf and myself all agree sell to your Daughter and start from scratch again - so long as it is ANOTHER AU and not a bloody BA (bloody awful)

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

You are a smart man GK Hadn't looked at V8's but there maybe dual fuel ones around, that would keep running costs down.
Papa you could be right. Been talking to the wife as well (she has her own ideas, good ones of course).
Thanks for the comments guys. At least I don't have to buy something in a real short time frame.

UK
UK
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

LOL re the BA. I have seen some BAs cheaper than AUs.

One thing is strange carsales has BA starting from 2002 build year. Is this correct?
UK
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the best of my knowledge, October, November and December 2002 they started selling Ba's. You occasionally see 2002 BAs for sale on Car sales etc.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Kil4Collingwood

My BA fairmont is oct 2002 build

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't do it . It'll fall on you when stuff goes wrong . I've always had the memo " never sell to friends or family " . Easy way to ruin friendships IMO .

Hav you asked what size car they need ? Would they prefer a smaller 4 cyl to be cheaper to run ?

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltrain79 View Post
I wouldn't do it . It'll fall on you when stuff goes wrong . I've always had the memo " never sell to friends or family " . Easy way to ruin friendships IMO .

Hav you asked what size car they need ? Would they prefer a smaller 4 cyl to be cheaper to run ?
Thanks diesel train , Yes these are both igood points. Re the stuff going wrong they no nothing about cars and I have ' fixed' my daughters 1st car cause it was a cheap one ( lasted 3 years, most of the damage was from her ).
The 4 cyl mainly worries me from the kms on the car.....200.000 kms on a 6 is a lot easier to cope with than on a 4.
The daughter would like something fast, she takes after her father but they only need something to go from Penrith to Pennant Hills each day.
Uk
Old 10-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Does anyone know of a good Series III AU going for sale?
UK
Old 16-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Well looks like the writing is on the wall....the daughter is keen for a 'decent' car, my AUII....question is will I stay on the the AU forums ???

UK
Old 16-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
AU Mont
Banned

what ford would you think of buying next?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
what ford would you think of buying next?
Looking for something that will last another 4 years.
Started looking at AU's with the key words Ghia, XR6 and Tickford. Don't want to spend 2 much as I am practically giving my AU to the daughter (yes she is paying but in installments and below what I could probably get for it) so around $6,000 tops.

UK
Old 16-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UK you mentioned the noisy lifters in the workshop manual it specifies 5W30 oil not 10W40 as everyone uses. my XR had noisy lifters too but since using 5W30 semi synthetic they are quiet as a mouse

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
UK you mentioned the noisy lifters in the workshop manual it specifies 5W30 oil not 10W40 as everyone uses. my XR had noisy lifters too but since using 5W30 semi synthetic they are quiet as a mouse
I'm going to do a minor service before she gets 'The AU', so I'll give the 5W30 a go, thanks for the tip. Planning on putting the beast back to standard in certain areas so if/when I get another AU Have have parts to mod with straight away

UK
Old 17-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
You are a smart man GK Hadn't looked at V8's but there maybe dual fuel ones around, that would keep running costs down.
Papa you could be right. Been talking to the wife as well (she has her own ideas, good ones of course).
Thanks for the comments guys. At least I don't have to buy something in a real short time frame.

UK
UK
Sell the AU to your daughter for red book price, then buy a 3V BA V8 on LPG - should get one for under $10k easy, including on gas.......

Here's a G220 (not on gas, but under $10k):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2004-Ford...item4173c74eb6

An AU2 V8 dual fuel Fairlane for $6k:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2001-FORD...item2c6ff513d3
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 17-06-2013 at 11:15 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I know of a very nice 4.0 AU Ghia that will be going up for sale soon.
Its a S1 but has had S2 brakes fitted , body kit etc.
Its a very well maintained and modified car and is in Sydney.
Let meknwo if you may be interested and I can point you in the right direction.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks, can you send me a PM so we can have a quick chat.
UK
Old 18-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
T MAN

that would be my au ghia that mrel is talking about, I just purchased a xr8 and will be looking at selling my ghia soon..
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

PIC's info?
UK
Old 18-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
T MAN

its a 6 month 99 Fairmont ghia, vct 6 cyl , has exractors and sports exhaust, immaculate black leather interior, rebel body kit, ts front bar, has series 2 front suspension. ect.
it does have 260 000 kms but drives fantastic. currently has fg xr8 wheels but will probably sell it with the series 3 xr wheels..

let me know if your still interested or send me a pm if you like.
here are a few pics..

T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Will do. Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

And now for something completely different..unmoding an AU J
Well I started on my un moding my Au before it goes to my daughter. Changed the oil today. Not really a mod change but It was due. The next job will be to take out the cold air intake and restore back to standard. Will take pics as the car becomes more ….ummm… boring.. J
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

So what's the plan UK? Buying a v8? AU? Or something else?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
So what's the plan UK? Buying a v8? AU? Or something else?
I'm curious too! What's the plan, c'mon spill! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Well for a change I'm not buying a car for you JC LOL. (Just in case people think I'm buying your Terry). Had a look at 2 so far. A very nice Fairmont in Newcastle, same colour as my sons AU (why can't people with cars I like live around the corner?) but the price was 2 high. Another was same colour as mine, Fairmont with Tickford mags, leather and VCT but the paint and rims were in worse condition than my car.
I would like to thank Ronwest and T Man for giving me some options for the next car. BUT and it’s a big BUT my wife reckons we can get by with 1 car !!!
Stay tuned..
UK
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Well for a change I'm not buying a car for you JC LOL. (Just in case people think I'm buying your Terry). Had a look at 2 so far. A very nice Fairmont in Newcastle, same colour as my sons AU (why can't people with cars I like live around the corner?) but the price was 2 high. Another was same colour as mine, Fairmont with Tickford mags, leather and VCT but the paint and rims were in worse condition than my car.
I would like to thank Ronwest and T Man for giving me some options for the next car. BUT and it’s a big BUT my wife reckons we can get by with 1 car !!!
Stay tuned..
UK
Your wife, as nice am I'm sure she is, is WRONG! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

2 users like this post: