Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
fordoe
Starter Motor

Default Chip upgrade for LW2 Diesel

I am considering of upgrading the chip, it is a relatively mild upgrade, the car is about 6 months old, have anyone else done this to their car?

To those people who have had a chip upgrade done to their car regardless of type, what is/was the biggest drawback?

http://www.tunit.com.au/find/vehicle...&shoppingview=

Any views will be much appreciated.

fordoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordoe View Post
I am considering of upgrading the chip, it is a relatively mild upgrade, the car is about 6 months old, have anyone else done this to their car?

To those people who have had a chip upgrade done to their car regardless of type, what is/was the biggest drawback?

http://www.tunit.com.au/find/vehicle...&shoppingview=

Any views will be much appreciated.
Keep in mind it's a PSA Peugeot/Citroen engine, the same as in the 308, 407, Citroen C5. Superchips have an upgrade to 200bhp (150kw). Not sure if Ford use the same electronics, but it gives you a baseline.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
fordoe
Starter Motor

Default Re: Chip upgrade for LW2 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
Keep in mind it's a PSA Peugeot/Citroen engine, the same as in the 308, 407, Citroen C5. Superchips have an upgrade to 200bhp (150kw). Not sure if Ford use the same electronics, but it gives you a baseline.
Thanks for the pointer although it is very tempting, I'd prefer Tunit because it is more conservative. Usually the higher the power output is the more compromises you have to make.
fordoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Turbodiesel
Torquer

You know I can't think of a single drawback besides the fact that you have to pay for it

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Executer

Im also interested. Is it just like the other diesel tuning boxes or is this a proper dyno tune?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
elgreko

I have a Tunit box in mine works well. I recently drove up to the goldcoast from melb and visited the Tunit guys at Southport, they were great! they had a look at my set up and also reprogrammed box to my requirements all free of charge!! Fun drive back 4.9 lph three people in the care and boot full! Now power where I like it and great economy!!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Executer

My bluefin unit came in yesterday. $540 from Tigersoft Performance in Cheltenham VIC.

I have flashed the ecu this morning and so far the car is running awesome. Big noticeable difference especially in first gear. It pulls nicely. Mine is the 163 ps engine and according to Supechips, my car should be running around 185BHP and 412nm's. I believe it is, it could be slightly higher or lower. Next on the cards is a good air filter setup, good exhaust with de-cat pipe then possibly an intercooler upgrade, which means I will need to contact Superchips to get a new revised map sent to me.

Loving it!

Definetely worth looking at Superchips tunes rather than the tuning boxes especially since Tigersoft are doing them discounted
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
david256

Thanks for the update, just wondering what's the Bluefin model number.

Thanks in advance
david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Executer

Hi. its BF06-fordc go to Tigersoftperformance.com.au They are having the Superchips special on.

On a note, Im one very happy custome. They will courier it out to you. Great increase and definetely a good improvement throughout the rev range. I cant recommend.this enough
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Executer

my apologies. its tigersoft.com.au
Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You've peaked my interest.

Damn you.

Cause I also have the intercooler sitting here, lol.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
Executer

Damn me? lol. I know that if I were you, I'd wack that intercooler on then order the bluefin from Tigersoft.com.au. And once youve done all steps and the ECU has been uploaded to them, Email or call them to let them know the specs of you vehicle including the new intercooler so that they can adjust the re-map to suit, ie: more boost. I probably dont have to tell you.

I must say one more time, I love this car even more now. The re-map had made an awesome difference.
Old 26-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Nolz

Well done! I was as keen as mustard to do what you did too. Bought the bluefin plugged it in and.....nothing :( At the time, they had not caught up with the new model and so it didn't work.
I then went to a local tuner and had it custom tuned on a dyno. Cost 3x as more as the blufin box but I'm not good with waiting haha. The results are outstanding though. Tune was conservative however the results were immediately noticeable, buttery smooth through the rev range and at idle, more torque more power and improved economy. Win win win!
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
david256

Received my Bluefin last Friday from Tigersoft but I'm still waiting for my software update from Superchips, Executer how long did you have to wait for the ECU update?

Executer I'm also interested in upgrading the exhaust which includes removing the DPF, but from what I've researched this isn't going to be easy as it requires the DPF software to be deleted from the ECU, do you know if Superchips can do this?
Old 28-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #15
Executer

Hi David256. Because of the time difference between us and the U.K I received my tune around 12 hours later. Im assuming youve read your ecu and used the bluefin desktop to send it to them. Id be expecting it tonight or if not, call them in the morning.

They dont work weekends either Im pretty sure

Yes Superchips can do a dpf delete. Once you make some mods, its just a matter of emailing or calling them with the specifications of your mods and your bluefin model number so that they can prepare a new tune for you to download. Im also planning on a bigger intercooler and a decat exhaust as well.
Old 28-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
Executer

youll enjoy your new found power by the way!! Id love to hear your feedback also
Old 28-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #17
david256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executer View Post
Yes Superchips can do a dpf delete. Once you make some mods, its just a matter of emailing or calling them with the specifications of your mods and your bluefin model number so that they can prepare a new tune for you to download. Im also planning on a bigger intercooler and a decat exhaust as well.
Cool thanks for that.

My biggest concern with the whole DPF garbage is diesel in the sump, a friend who's a mechanic did an oil change on a Mazda 3, which has the same engine as the Focus, he emptied 10 Liters of oil/diesel out of it's sump. This is a side effect when the car goes into limp mode while doing a regen.

After some research it looks like the best way to remove the DPF is to cut open the original, remove the innards as the sensors are still required for the ecu even after the DPF delete. Personally I would like to run a new exhaust but will need to discuss this with my mechanic.

I will keep you updated on what we decide.
Old 28-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
Executer

Did you get your tune yet?
Old 28-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by david256 View Post
Cool thanks for that.

My biggest concern with the whole DPF garbage is diesel in the sump, a friend who's a mechanic did an oil change on a Mazda 3, which has the same engine as the Focus, he emptied 10 Liters of oil/diesel out of it's sump. This is a side effect when the car goes into limp mode while doing a regen.

After some research it looks like the best way to remove the DPF is to cut open the original, remove the innards as the sensors are still required for the ecu even after the DPF delete. Personally I would like to run a new exhaust but will need to discuss this with my mechanic.

I will keep you updated on what we decide.
Mazda 3 Diesel is NOT the same as Focus Diesel engine. The Focus uses a Peugeot engine. Mazda use their own (hence why it's problematic I guess.. Peugeot have long term expertise in Diesel engines).
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post