Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Has anyone lived in Brisbane and Melbourne?

I am contemplating a move to Brisbane from Melbourne and would like to know if anyone has done it (or the reverse) and how they found it?
Obviously each city has it's good and bad points but from where I am the grass definitely looks greener up north.Is it?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Has anyone lived in Brisbane and Melbourne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
Re: Has anyone lived in Brisbane OR Melbourne??
No mate they are both ficticious city names nobody lives there at all.
Sorry just having a lend of your title, bit wired up at moment and see funny/wierd side to things too often.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Beware that if you move to Brisbane from Melbourne you will stand out like dogs balls because in the midst of a Brisbane "winter" you'll be running around in shorts and t-shirt
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Beware that if you move to Brisbane from Melbourne you will stand out like dogs balls because in the midst of a Brisbane "winter" you'll be running around in shorts and t-shirt
Yep,the last time I went up there the main item on the news was how bad the weather was because there had been 5 days in a row under 20 degrees.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

The biggest thing you'll notice is that the weather is spectacular in winter and muggy as hell in summer. I'll take 40 degrees in Melbourne over 34 degrees in Brisbane.

You can work on your car every month of the year and winter is the best time for cruising.

Brisbane is less "sophisticated" that Melbourne and a lot more casual. If you're into the wine bar and restaurant scene you will be disappointed.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
The biggest thing you'll notice is that the weather is spectacular in winter and muggy as hell in summer. I'll take 40 degrees in Melbourne over 34 degrees in Brisbane.

You can work on your car every month of the year and winter is the best time for cruising.

Brisbane is less "sophisticated" that Melbourne and a lot more casual. If you're into the wine bar and restaurant scene you will be disappointed.
This.

Especially the first sentence. I lived in Melbourne for 13 years and Brisbane for the last 16 and I still cannot handle the humidity here.

Also you won't stand out as mentioned before in winter wearing a t shirt and shorts, I do it too.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

i holiday in both . what can i say . my inlaws live on the goldcoast . i hate BRISBANE , but love the gold and sunshine coast , although they are losing thier gloss .
the brisbane summer is rediculous , infact my mother inlaw inher mid 60's refuses to go out in daylight then . but the plants and goldcoast is simply fantastic .
Melbourne , love it , st kilda is just as good as surfers , the sun can be out and your nice and cool .
i havent lived in either , but queensland weather is fierce and everyone hates the summer .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
u2canb12
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising cruises and keeping the events in the spirit of the forums 

I have lived in both cities and my comments are that for 3 months of the year it can be humid but the rest of the year has it all over Melbourne. I will take a hot summers day in Brisbane over a dull, dreary, wet freezing winters day that freezes your twig and berries off!!

The other benefit of Brisbane (QLD) is that the modified car rules are little more liberal (my experience) and less speed cameras and we have Willowbank.

I will deal with you later Chris! sounds like your spending too much time down there and the mexican fever is rubbing off on you
u2canb12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2canb12 View Post
I will deal with you later Chris! sounds like your spending too much time down there and the mexican fever is rubbing off on you
LOL. Too many mocha soy lattees for me.

Go bombers!!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
greg6099
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Born and bred in Brisbane. If you think its hot and humid here try living in Cairns.

However.

If we actually approve that someone from Melbourne can live up here please be aware that Brisvegas turns the lights off at 9.00pm every night and we don't encourage any of this sophistication stuff nor tolerate late night frivolity....
greg6099 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Melbourne winter in the suburbs isn't bad, its when you get to the Macedon Ranges area and Alpine area is when you know what cold is.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm definitely not a wine bar or sitting in a laneway drinking overpriced coffee type so that won't disappoint me too much and my wife is Vietnamese so she just about wrote the book on hot and humid.I really like the casual feel of Brisbane compared to down here and it seems that you can get more for your money when it comes to Brisbane property.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Besides all the above regarding weather and lattes - there's an awesome bunch of blokes up here!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I lived in brissy for 10 years and melbourne for 9. No bar scene like the one in Melbourne but it doesn't seem like that's what your after anyway. I have lived in Townsville for the last 7 years and the humidity in Brisbane is nothing compared to that. Even compared to what Melbourne weather is like, i think it gets thrown out of proportion.

I love the relaxed feel about Brisbane, much more slow paced than Melbourne. Great place to live in my opinion.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this talk about the hot weather makes me laugh. Best summer we have had in the last 4 years in my opinion. Beer and pool weather, nothing better!
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
superyob
Banned

Brisbane all the way, although Melbourne city is more picturesque... I have lived in both places and I think the weather and less cosmopolitan life style in Brizzy is tops... and no Adam Bandt!!!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know why people complain about Brisbane's summer, it isn't as bad as some places (as others mentioned). Provided you have aircon, the heat of summer shouldn't be a problem.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

^^^^^^^ its the searing heat of the sun when you walk outside . you get this in sydney too , but queensland you can feel like your skin is on fire when your out of the shade . and yes , its even worse further north . and its for a good 3 months . where as sydney you might get one day per week like that in summer . and in melbourne you can have a cool chill whilst in the sun. i love queensland and could live there if i had to , but by choice i wont .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
daytona1965

Morexbs,

I have lived in all 3 Eastern States, Sydney 26 years, Brisbane 3.5 years and Melbourne for the last 16 years.

I absolutely LOVE Melbourne for the following reasons, cultured, food, beer, wine, coffee, motivation, weather, property affordibility, friendly people, better traffic management ( too many speed camera's IS THE EXCEPTION ).

I hated Brisbane ( came from Sydney ) for the following reasons, crappy beer/food/wine, no motivation, HUMIDITY, shithouse road system,
not accepting of SOUTHERNERS... Its a great place for a holiday, the winters are nice, The Sunshine Coast is beautiful...

I would never live in Brisbane again, it would take a FANTASTIC job and a house on the waterfront to get me back to Sydney, so thats not going to happen either

The property is cheaper for a reason, think of all those without flood insurance as their houses are now worthless. Thats what happens when greedy developers and Government reclaim swamps.....

Just remember once you leave you can never return...

Rohan
Cruiser: XC Ford Coupe
daytona1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i was visiting my cousin in brizzy a while ago who lived in melbourne for most of his life, i asked him what he liked about brizzy, his reply was , even when it`s raining you can still wear shorts and a t`shirt and it`s not cold, and the lifestyle was different, it was very laid back compared to melbourne.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a lot of family in Brisbane so I have spent a lot of time up there over the years and lived in Bundaberg for a while. I hate that summer weather, I could never get used to that sun and humidity. Melbourne winters are gloomy but at least you can get comfortable and still do stuff around the yard or get out and about, but when that Queensland sun comes out there's no escaping the sweat fest. Summers in Melb are fantastic in comparison and there's more to do in Melbourne in terms of sporting events, nightlife, music, shopping, etc.
Old 13-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Yes. I'm in Brisbane now, but I'm wearing tracksuit pants and a hoody...there's the downside. Summer is still unbearable (after almost ten years in Brisbane).

Melbourne was great, I'm a bit of a home body but a sucker for the arts, and Melbourne may have had terrible weather, but Qld is not far behind particularly in summer. Winter is still pretty cold here (I'm a little further out now in Ipswich, but it does get to 0, regularly through winter!)

Like some of the others, I would prefer the 40 degree dry north wind days in Melbourne to the 33/34/35 degree humid no wind days of Brisbane (and anywhere up to 43 out here)...it's stifling. I've decided moving to Perth is a better option

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think melbourne gets a bad rap for weather actually, we get about half the annual rain of sydney, dunno what the ratio is to brizzy, we`ve had 3 mild magnificent summers in a row, although about the previous 10 where stinkers heat wise,
melbourne does get a bit dreary in winter even though it does`nt have a lot of rainfall.
the limited time i`ve been in brissy, maybe i was imagining it but people seem a bit less reserved than melbournians, your more likely to get a g`day mate from a total stranger up north.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I moved from Melb to the Gold Coast about 6 years ago and there's not much chance of going back. Having been a die hard Afl follower all my life, that's the one thing I miss the most, being able to jump in the car and head off to the 'G' on Friday night or Saturday. Watching it on the Telly just doesn't quite cut it. I don't miss the ridiculous amount of speed cameras in Vic either. Most of my family are now in Qld so there's no real emotional pull for me to go back as we'll.
The Qld weather most of the time is brilliant, although Summer is a bit sticky and the storms can be pretty ferocious. We enjoy getting out on the Jetski all year round, whereas you would be brave to do the same in a Melb winter. It is great to be able to wear shorts all year round and even at work.
The down sides to Qld;
1. Qld drivers are bloody hopeless, they have no idea about keeping out of the right lane on the freeway and they lose all use of left turn indicators.
2. Cost of living and petrol is higher
3. The relaxed Qld attitude has a detrimental effect on dealing with people in business, they are definitely backwards when it comes to professionalism.
4. One day or decade or century, Qld might get into the real world and adopt daylight savings and get in line with the rest of Oz.
5. The pay in Qld is far below the southern states

There is certainly things about Qld I don't like but there is far more I do like so won't bak heading back south in a hurry

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
I'm definitely not a wine bar or sitting in a laneway drinking overpriced coffee type so that won't disappoint me too much and my wife is Vietnamese so she just about wrote the book on hot and humid.I really like the casual feel of Brisbane compared to down here and it seems that you can get more for your money when it comes to Brisbane property.
Well you're wife will enjoy the move up here if she likes the warmer weather.

Just got to pick Northside or Southside. Choose carefully;)
Old 13-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
MKE13

3. The relaxed Qld attitude has a detrimental effect on dealing with people in business, they are definitely backwards when it comes to professionalism - JAJH

Im glad you speak for the entire population of working professionals in Queensland.
MKE13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFALCON03 View Post
3. The relaxed Qld attitude has a detrimental effect on dealing with people in business, they are definitely backwards when it comes to professionalism - JAJH

Im glad you speak for the entire population of working professionals in Queensland.
Did I say the entire population? I simply meant the people in business I deal with compared to the same industry people I have dealt with in Melb for the last 25 years.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #28
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #29
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Melbournes no better, most of our suits are twats too.

If your in the construction industry and/or like your weather completely random stay in Melbourne. If not anywhere else is good too.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Well you're wife will enjoy the move up here if she likes the warmer weather.

Just got to pick Northside or Southside. Choose carefully;)
That was going to be my next question.
I have done a bit of exploring on the northside in a few of my trips but haven't done the southside yet.I'll do that in a few weeks.
Any tips?