Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
brettv

Default insurance repair!!!!!!!!!

hi
got a call from the panel beater to say the car was ready to pick up.
pulled up in their car park and already wasnt happy could see a little dent still in the bonnet, and on closer inspection stone chips under the paint on the bonnet.
now was told the panel beater is only paid to repair damage not any thing else, am i expecting too much for the stone chips to be sanded/filled before painting the panel????

cherrs brettv

brettv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: insurance repair!!!!!!!!!

If the dent & stone chips were in the area of repair it should have been done, complain to your insurance company.

I'm sure a reputable business would have done so.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any panel shop with any regard for their reputation would have sanded and filled the chips as a part of the job.

Defects like that should not be painted over. Finished paint work should be as close to original as possible, no covered stone chips/dents. As ^^^, speak to your insurer re action that can be taken.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
brettv

well i have left it with them i was not picking it up in that condition.
brettv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This an interesting scenario, why you may ask?

Well the repairer is in fact contracted to return your vehicle to 'pre accident condition'. Now it is very unlikely the stone chips were caused by the accident, without knowing what colour your car is, the repairer requires blending area.
If by chance the stone chips are close to the edges it would require significantly more cost to blend the adjacent panels.

In most cases a repairer will repair some chips, but the line has to be drawn somewhere as they are not being paid to fix your chips. You may argue that 'they are painting it anyway', this is only part of the solution.

The other option is for you the owner to contibute to repairing pre existing damage.

So in reality, no, a repairer does not have to fix extra chips or scratches, but some extras is industry standard.

Are you expecting too much, probably. Will the insurance company enforce the repairer to rectify the chips, possibly but the insurance company will have to pay. Ultimately you'll probably end up paying with an increased premium.

Nothing is for nothing.

This no different to getting someone in to mow your lawns and expecting them to trim your hedges beacause they are right there and have the tools...Oh and for free.

Who are you insured with?
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I worked next dooe to a beaters once they had an old red 323 mazda which was faded all over it had a front ender the insurance fixed it but only paid to spray the front well imagine how it looked I asked the owner if they were going to paint the rest he said nope only got paid to repair the front from the insurance company
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think/know if they are obligated but it would have been nice!........when my trouble and strife had the bicycle rider run into the rear of her vehicle our crash repairer couldn't do enough for her

not only a top notch job but also washed, polished, vacuumed the vehicle.....it came out looking better than brand new

consequently he has our business for life........Serges crash repairs in Port Pirie for those who may show an interest

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

It always pays to do a walk around of your vehicle at the smash repairs when you drop it off. Take notes of existing defects etc. and discuss the extre "cash"
required to do thee Job.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are paid to fix the damages only and have to blend as well

You could've and should've got a quote as to how much to fix the chips etc

Sent from my HTC ARIA using Tapatalk II.IV.X
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

The insurance company with pay the quote given to them by the panel beater. Ask for the quote and see what it says. Might be better off changing insurance company.
GA_0009 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83 View Post
It always pays to do a walk around of your vehicle at the smash repairs when you drop it off. Take notes of existing defects etc. and discuss the extre "cash"
required to do thee Job.
That's what I've always done as well + asked what brand of beer the workshop boys prefer. I've never been disappointed
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773 View Post
Any panel shop with any regard for their reputation would have sanded and filled the chips as a part of the job.

Defects like that should not be painted over. Finished paint work should be as close to original as possible, no covered stone chips/dents. As ^^^, speak to your insurer re action that can be taken.
I think thats is the part people are missing... not the fact that the chips were not repaired, but the fact that it seems from what I understand that the chips were in the area around the repair that was painted over to blend...

What pro would not spend the extra time smoothing the chips over prior to painting??? Even if they were not part of the quote, the repairer, at the least should have mentioned to the owner that during the repair process they can be looked at for $x....

Remainds me of a factory where I used to live out at Ingleburn... They had a corner block that had a section of grass out the front that was cut prob one a month. Prob 350-400sqm, 2 narrow rectangles.... The grass patch passed one of their boundaries by prob .5-1m onto 'council' land, so that small patch was never cut... looked so bloody stupid leaving that patch that would grow to half a metre before going yellow... but I guess that 'wasn't on the quote'....

The problem is, now that the repair has been done, getting those chips fixed correctly will involve more trouble than it's worth.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
I worked next dooe to a beaters once they had an old red 323 mazda which was faded all over it had a front ender the insurance fixed it but only paid to spray the front well imagine how it looked I asked the owner if they were going to paint the rest he said nope only got paid to repair the front from the insurance company
A good spray painter will colour match/blend as best to match the existing paintwork
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think thats is the part people are missing... not the fact that the chips were not repaired, but the fact that it seems from what I understand that the chips were in the area around the repair that was painted over to blend...
No, you are clearly missing the point. The chips may be spread over the entire surface of the bonnet which is also the blend area. I'll explain a little further, if it's clear over base, the base is blended then the entire panel cleared off.
You simply can't pick every chip that extends across the bonnet with having to go into the next panel, unless it's a solid colour.

I also noted you like to say 'pro'. It's irrelevent, what part of your PDS don't you understand about returning you vehicle to 'pre accident condition'?
The insurance company are not there to cover general wear and tear items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
A good spray painter will colour match/blend as best to match the existing paintwork
Ah no, there is no miracle product in the world that can assist in matching old, degraded paint work. You can't just pick up a bottle of 5,10 or 15 year fade additive.
Also take note he said red, what do reds look like after 5 years?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
No, you are clearly missing the point. The chips may be spread over the entire surface of the bonnet which is also the blend area. I'll explain a little further, if it's clear over base, the base is blended then the entire panel cleared off.
You simply can't pick every chip that extends across the bonnet with having to go into the next panel, unless it's a solid colour.

I also noted you like to say 'pro'. It's irrelevent, what part of your PDS don't you understand about returning you vehicle to 'pre accident condition'?
The insurance company are not there to cover general wear and tear items.

Ah no, there is no miracle product in the world that can assist in matching old, degraded paint work. You can't just pick up a bottle of 5,10 or 15 year fade additive.

Im yet to meet a panel beater that can blend a bonnet without painting the whole thing. If the bonnet was resprayed, he should have blended the fenders. I don't know what business you run or have seen but not one of my mates will only paint half a bonnet, its impossible to get a colour match
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Im yet to meet a panel beater that can blend a bonnet without painting the whole thing. If the bonnet was resprayed, he should have blended the fenders.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?
For starters panel beater, panel beat, spray painters paint.

When I said blend, you blend out from the repaired area the colour coat and then clear out the entire panel. This does not require bledning adjacent panels. If the bonnet was replaced then you would blend the adjacent panels unless it's a solid colour.
Saying he should have blended and what your insurance company will pay for are usualy significantly different expectations and you the insured party have zero say in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I don't know what business you run or have seen but not one of my mates will only paint half a bonnet, its impossible to get a colour match
Exactly, if actualy read what I said and in fact understood what I said, I would be typing what I am.

In the mean time, I've been in the panel trade for over 20 years so I may in fact know a thing or two about the industry, insurance companies and insured parties expectations and reality.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I did not say completely match faded paint but a good spray painter who knows his trade can do wonders.
If the paint is too faded I know it is a completely different situation.

cheers
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd hate to get the red on the Celica repainted after a repair for insurance. I polish it regularly, but always end up with a useless red polishing cloth from the oxidised paint being removed...it's thirty years old after all.

I would be annoyed as well if the whole panel hadn't been returned to new. Years back when our XC Fairmont was repaired, they repainted the entire front right quarter panel, not just above the wheel arch where the damage was.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Many years ago a friend here in Adelaide had his car hail damaged. The repairer, and I guess insurance company, said they would paint from the roof down to the door handles. He was asked if he wanted to make up the difference in order to paint the whole car.

I guess the asking here is the issue?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every panel repair I have had done the panel shop painted the whole panel. I have had a dint in a sill repaired, a door and a few front 1/4's. In every incidence the damage was minor and the whole panel was painted. When my 1/4 was hit they said the blend would be difficult due to metallic flake so they quoted bonnet too.

I was with racv for those repairs and was happy with the work. Always sold the cars shortly after as I hate knowing the cars been smashed.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think what the OP is saying, he got the car repaired and when they have resprayed the bonnet they have gone over the stone chip without filling them. This would leave a dent in the dresh paint work. If the repairer is painting an are they should make sure it is smooth IMO.

He is not saying they should have fixed all stone chips, just the ones they painted over.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #22
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
He is not saying they should have fixed all stone chips, just the ones they painted over.
But they would have painted the entire bonnet. So where do you draw the line?
Would you do 1 hour work extra on say 20 cars a week and not get paid for it, so 20 hours of work not accounted for and not paid for?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #23
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But they would have painted the entire bonnet. So where do you draw the line?
Would you do 1 hour work extra on say 20 cars a week and not get paid for it, so 20 hours of work not accounted for and not paid for?
So it is ok to just paint over dents, making the paint job worse off than pre accident condition, now there is dents under the paint. Because they were pre accident.

Wait that is like saying, I need to replace the bumper bar and only paint the right side because that is the side of the accident.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #24
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

An old guy backed into the side of my car, rear drivers side door. I was lucky enough to see it happen as he was about to drive off.
I called my insurance company (aami) that afternoon. I drop it off the next day.
There were a few other scratches on the upper door just under the window, also on the rear quarter panel and drivers door.
I didn't see the quote but they resprayed the rear door part of the front door and part of the rear quarter panel. They did a great job. Couldn't tell it had happened and they fixed a few other small jobs too.
I was very happy with there work.
When I lived in tassie I was with RACT for awhile and a woman rear ended me, it was weeks before I could get my car in to get fixed and they did a crap job, the panel beaters cut every corner they could.
But aami was great! I think they are about the same on price maybe alittle more but they do a much better job, was in the shop the next day and the panel beaters did an amazing job
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So it is ok to just paint over dents,.
We are talking stone chips, do you know what one looks like?

Quote:
Wait that is like saying, I need to replace the bumper bar and only paint the right side because that is the side of the accident.
This is just a plain dumb comment. The insurance company is paying for the entire bumper to be replaced, of course they will pay for the whole bumper to be painted.

In saying that. If you had a scratch on one side from an accident, the insurance company will not pay for all the rash on the lower front edge to be repaired but will pay for the bumper to be painted (two different process'). Would you expect it to be fixed at no cost even though it will proably take 10 times longer to repair the rash than the inital damage?

You seem to forget something. Your boss needs to sell your labour or goods at a profit to pay you and keep you employed. Start doing all these expected freebies and tell me how long the business survives and how quickly you end up jobless.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #26
Ammf6
Starter Motor

I had my car Re sprayed , same deal I’ve got it back and there is multiple stone chips that haven’t been filled and just painted over . The cars going back as I’m not happy with the job. The paint work is spot on which is very annoying cause now it has to get re done to fix the chips that were missed .
Ammf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 09:41 AM   #27
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9 year old thread resurrected well done
Old 02-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #28
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
9 year old thread resurrected well done
But did Bretty, get his car back in show room condition?

I hate stories with no ending
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 07:29 PM   #29
Ammf6
Starter Motor

Didn’t even realise the post date 😂 that sure is resurrected !
Ammf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post