Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
focusedforever
Starter Motor

Default Need help engine management light is on.

Hi all
I recently had my 09 ford focus at a paint and panel shop to have work done on the engine mount was cracke. When I got it back it went fine for a day and the following day it was really slow to start and 'Engine Malfunction' flashed up on the message screen. I had to have it jumped to start it and the engine Management light came on. I brought it back to the panel shop and they did a test on it saying that I needed to replace the battery. I thought this strange as the battery had never given me troube before. I brought to another mechanic today they tested the battery and it turned out that i did need one. But after driving it for about 20 kmh ( with the new battery) the engine management light has come back on!!! Any ideas what could be wrong !!

focusedforever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Need help engine management light is on.

The battery going as it has done is pretty common especially with some of the unpredictable weather changes we have been experiencing (ie hot and cold) One thing you might be able to try is to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and leave it off for a good hour or so then reconnect, let the engine idle for a few minutes and then try to take the car for a 15 minute run to allow everything to reset itself. Hopefully this will fix the issue, if not it may just need the EML to be reset which requires an OBDII scan tool, your local mechanic should be able to do it if they have the right gear otherwise you may need to take it to a Ford dealer
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
focusedforever
Starter Motor

Default Re: Need help engine management light is on.

Thanks Russ, Ill give that a go and see does it work.
focusedforever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post