Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Work Wanted!! SE QLD Areas

Hi Everyone. As the title suggests, im looking for work around the SE QLD areas.

Bit of background as to WHY i'm looking for work tho:
I have been off work since late Sept/Early Oct 2011 due to my Back injury in September and then i suffered an Epileptic seizure and had Back Surgery both in November. Due to the Seizure, i was unable to drive until cleared by a Neurologist and normally the minimum is your not allowed to drive for 6 months but i was recently cleared to drive on 23/2/12 which is a pretty good turnaround so i want to get working again!!

Why not go back to my old job you ask?? Reason being i hurt my back at home, my surgery recovery time was too long for the company to hold onto my position and my heart wasnt in the job so the resignation was amicable and it wasnt a workcover claim.

So, i have experience in:
Retail - have cert III in store operations and have management exp
Quarry, hard rock & sand - fixed/mobile plant operations
Weighbridge operations - Certified operator
Manufacturing
Sales

Have done a few different and varied roles over the years but now im going to uni fulltime to study bachelor of business.
Im looking for fulltime work (yes going to do both full time thats not a typo!) that has regular hours (eg 9-5) and right now i dont really care what the job is, just want to be given a go and am very adaptable. Ideally i would like to work monday-thursday as my uni lectures are on fridays but i am studying via distance so it isnt a huge issue

If you have any positions going or know of someone who does, please call me on 0412 333 027, PM me here or email: mr_460bigblock@hotmail.com to discuss further. Im available for immediate start and am located in Cedar Grove which is near Beaudesert.

Big thanks to Russell (russellw) for allowing me to post this thread.

Regards
Dave MR460

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Re: Work Wanted!! SE QLD Areas

Good luck with your job hunting Dave.

Can I ask with your Uni studies if the Uni actually puts your lectures online for viewing whenever instead of having to be there for it?

Reason I ask is I'm doing what you want to do (FT work and FT study) and my Uni puts all my lectures online for me to view whenever it suits me.

I think alot of businesses looking for FT employees will want to make sure you can work FT and not have time off, especially in probation period.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

yes all my uni work can be done online but i also have the option to goto lectures on fridays if i choose to. I went last friday and will continue to do so whilst im not working.

Just gotta keep sending out applications and hopefully something will pop up soon, and with any luck someone who understands the uni side of it also.... but im the type of person who will gladly work extra hours to make up or repay hours if i did need the time off etc so with any luck it will work out

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Best of luck to you mate, there are crapload of people out there who would do well to take a leaf out of your book.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
yes all my uni work can be done online but i also have the option to goto lectures on fridays if i choose to. I went last friday and will continue to do so whilst im not working.
Good thinking. Probably the best way to go for you in your situation as you can get more of an understanding of your subjects.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Good thinking. Probably the best way to go for you in your situation as you can get more of an understanding of your subjects.
Im kind of lucky atm, the TPP course im doing, although its only a prep course and is only 2 subjects & only goes for the 1st semester, these 2 subjects are actually part of my degree too so im shaving time off it going into it this way...

Could of gone into all a different way tho. Cause of my previous work history and having a cert 3 in retail management etc that gave me a score of 68 and need 72 to go into a business degree. I could have done a test to make up the 4 points and start straight away but because i left school in yr 10 at the end of '96, i thought for the extra effort doing the full semester prep course id be better off and so far im glad i decided to go about it this way....

still teaching myself how to put the blinkers on and not get too distracted but i have set myself a pretty good study schedule for the time being that im not working, studying 10hrs a day (5 each subject) and allowing 1-2hrs a day for job hunting and couple of breaks... they recommend 20-24hrs a week for 2 subjects of study and i allocated 30hrs so see how we go.... can only do my best.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Just a quick question mate...

I'm looking to do something similar to you, as in work full time and study. I'm looking at maybe a Bachelors Degree that would take three years to complete full time and am weighing up the options of either going back and doing it at University, or doing it via Distant Ed (Open University prob).

What are considered "full time hours" in regards to uni courses?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
Just a quick question mate...

I'm looking to do something similar to you, as in work full time and study. I'm looking at maybe a Bachelors Degree that would take three years to complete full time and am weighing up the options of either going back and doing it at University, or doing it via Distant Ed (Open University prob).

What are considered "full time hours" in regards to uni courses?
Not sure what a uni would consider "full time hours" for study, but they DO recommend you try and achieve on average 10-12hrs per subject per week. Currently im doing 2 subjects and only cause im not working im allowing myself around 30hrs a week. I break up my subjects into 2hr sessions but cause im almost finished my 2nd lot of assignments already (started on the 27th Feb), ive been doing a double stint each subject so i can focus on finishing the assignment, you just get on a roll and ive already found that when i am i dont wanna have to stop to much. Im doing it via distance also so having no distractions or very little is the key.... i just have the bonus that the uni is about half hour away and i can goto lectures if i wish, but its not compulsory.

heres how i break my day down anyway,

will notice i have a couple of breaks plus i gotta do what SWMBO asks .... mentally im finding it a bit draining but not studying for 16yrs will stir up a few sleeping brain cells...

WHEN im working, well.... hypothetically, lets say i get a job thats 9-5.... my plan is home by 6pm, get dinner etc done, hit the books by 7pm study til midnight or until the brain says no more and you hit the point your looking at the words but your not reading them.... thats when its down pens and goto bed.... so that way still looking at a 2hr session each subject and an hour to read any notes or other materials....

They will teach you how to plan you studys etc, thats what im going through right now because ultimately its YOUR responsibility to juggle it all and sort it out and the lecturers wont BS you about it ive noticed too... its all time management and how little sleep you can live off

Oh BTW, i too am looking at doing a bachelor of business degree with a major of international business, full time is 3yrs also see how work goes it might have to be dropped back to part time and 6 years but personally thats too long for me, i wanna get stuck in and get it done.

Sorry bout the long post but i hope thats cleared up some questions for you at least.

Cheers

Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

That study workload looks excessive.

5 hours of maths a day??? You'll be like Stephen Hawking ;)

Find a study partner or small study group. Go to lectures on campus, find the tutors too.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
That study workload looks excessive.

5 hours of maths a day??? You'll be like Stephen Hawking ;)

Find a study partner or small study group. Go to lectures on campus, find the tutors too.
only found a couple of people who are kinda local to me, so skype is very handy but there is one bloke in my course whom going to catch up with who only lives about 15min away.....

but yeah i agree, the study schedule maybe a bit excessive, but ive been off work for a few months now and there is only so much you can watch on tv about the ahh bra, the genie bra, and any other fandangled bra on the tv talk shows lol my brain was turning to mush, the XA hasnt been here to tinker on and the paddock is flooded so i cant mow..... so this way i might learn something and ease the boredom somewhat....

Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Well, had my 1st phone interview yesterday. For a FIFO role with Wagners, so hopefully i make it to a face to face interview for the 2nd round but i feel pretty confident. Answered all the questions with all the right answers and the lady even seemed a little shocked with the detail i gave in my answers to actually prove i have the background experience... so hopefully it will work out.... just have to wait and see i guess.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
only found a couple of people who are kinda local to me, so skype is very handy but there is one bloke in my course whom going to catch up with who only lives about 15min away.....

but yeah i agree, the study schedule maybe a bit excessive, but ive been off work for a few months now and there is only so much you can watch on tv about the ahh bra, the genie bra, and any other fandangled bra on the tv talk shows lol my brain was turning to mush, the XA hasnt been here to tinker on and the paddock is flooded so i cant mow..... so this way i might learn something and ease the boredom somewhat....
So have you watched all episodes of 1Adam12 yet ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, had my 1st phone interview yesterday. For a FIFO role with Wagners, so hopefully i make it to a face to face interview for the 2nd round but i feel pretty confident. Answered all the questions with all the right answers and the lady even seemed a little shocked with the detail i gave in my answers to actually prove i have the background experience... so hopefully it will work out.... just have to wait and see i guess.
Good luck with it , I expect things to pick up once the state goverment gets changed , worst I can recall in a couple of years
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
pretty stoked to say that i have a 2nd interview for this Wagners job on Monday.
I did have another interview for a sales and marketing job yesterday and it was just a disaster.... not interview wise, to be honest that was just crap... interviewed 2 people at a time and in the end it turned out to be door knockin sellin off electricity for power companies, basically throwing around jobs to anyone and the pay was really bad @ $15 p/h + sales %.... i kinda lost interest there.... the disaster of it all was the waste of time, money, fuel and a good shoe to get there!

When i was heading to the interview i had a feeling it wasnt going to be the kinda position of what i thought and it would be door knockin or cold calling etc but i went to the interview anyway.... so by the time i drove to the train station(35min), got my paper ticket ($10 each way from beenleigh to southbank!) no return tickets anymore so felt kinda ripped off... anyway, got up there (35min express train), 10 steps off the train going up the ramp, the sole of my shoe decides now is a good time to depart.... im taking it as a sign by this stage lol....
so i rip it off, follow their map which sent me on a kay walk the wrong way (not fun with a soleless shoe) so anyway, i soldier on only to go into the interview, 20 or so other blokes waiting to be interviewed, waited about half hr, 2 of us go in the interview for less than 5min, get asked 2-3 questions, then get asked to go BACK today for a 2nd interview to which i declined (my fathers birthday today, he passed in 2009, family first) so anyway im getting a call back for a 2nd interview apparently..... Im like WTF, lets get it over with now

ANYWAY, as soon as i got home, i picked up the phone to Wagners, I wanted to show how keen i was for their role only to be told they wanted me for a 2nd interview so was really stoked about that.... so bring on monday is all i can say... hope its not as much a disaster as yesterdays, ... Somehow i dont think so....

Old 14-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
pretty stoked to say that i have a 2nd interview for this Wagners job on Monday.
I did have another interview for a sales and marketing job yesterday and it was just a disaster.... not interview wise, to be honest that was just crap... interviewed 2 people at a time and in the end it turned out to be door knockin sellin off electricity for power companies, basically throwing around jobs to anyone and the pay was really bad @ $15 p/h + sales %.... i kinda lost interest there.... the disaster of it all was the waste of time, money, fuel and a good shoe to get there!

When i was heading to the interview i had a feeling it wasnt going to be the kinda position of what i thought and it would be door knockin or cold calling etc but i went to the interview anyway.... so by the time i drove to the train station(35min), got my paper ticket ($10 each way from beenleigh to southbank!) no return tickets anymore so felt kinda ripped off... anyway, got up there (35min express train), 10 steps off the train going up the ramp, the sole of my shoe decides now is a good time to depart.... im taking it as a sign by this stage lol....
so i rip it off, follow their map which sent me on a kay walk the wrong way (not fun with a soleless shoe) so anyway, i soldier on only to go into the interview, 20 or so other blokes waiting to be interviewed, waited about half hr, 2 of us go in the interview for less than 5min, get asked 2-3 questions, then get asked to go BACK today for a 2nd interview to which i declined (my fathers birthday today, he passed in 2009, family first) so anyway im getting a call back for a 2nd interview apparently..... Im like WTF, lets get it over with now

ANYWAY, as soon as i got home, i picked up the phone to Wagners, I wanted to show how keen i was for their role only to be told they wanted me for a 2nd interview so was really stoked about that.... so bring on monday is all i can say... hope its not as much a disaster as yesterdays, ... Somehow i dont think so....

Well done Mr460. I hope the Wangers role works out for you. And that dodgy interview, just chalk it up to interview practice. The way I llok at it, you need a couple of interview practice runs to get the nerves sorted and find your rythym. That practice run will probably serve you well for the job that you really want !!
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Well done Mr460. I hope the Wangers role works out for you. And that dodgy interview, just chalk it up to interview practice. The way I llok at it, you need a couple of interview practice runs to get the nerves sorted and find your rythym. That practice run will probably serve you well for the job that you really want !!
well, i had the 2nd interview today with Wagners and it seemed to go really well, i wasnt overly nervous because the role i was going for i have over 5 years experience it but i didnt go in there cocky either... but it was quite a relaxed interview and it went for about 45 minutes, so if it wasnt going well i dont think i would have been in there that long. Found out a few details where the role will be, pay rates etc.... i dont want to get my hopes up tho but im really excited about it. Had the interview with the site manager that i would be working with and i can honestly say that i had no issues with answering the questions and he offered more training etc and we got along very well...... so all in all, quietly confident but dont want to get carried away.....

Old 20-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

good to hear you might be having a win mate. hope works out for you.
i doubt that they would have spent that much time with you unless you were pretty high on the list of favorites.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
good to hear you might be having a win mate. hope works out for you.
i doubt that they would have spent that much time with you unless you were pretty high on the list of favorites.
thanks mate

Just got word from one of my references that he had a call today from the lady that i had the interview with, so again im hoping its a good sign.... its so hard to not get your hopes up tho..... just trying to remain calm cool and collected

Old 20-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do what i do after an interview:
go to a pub/bottle-o grab a beer or two and relax and have a good time thinking what study can i get done now?
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
thanks mate

Just got word from one of my references that he had a call today from the lady that i had the interview with, so again im hoping its a good sign.... its so hard to not get your hopes up tho..... just trying to remain calm cool and collected
That is good news. In case you weren't aware it's a very good idea to discuss your job applications with your referees. That way they are expecting a call and know what the job you're applying for is.

I've been blindsided a few times with reference calls out of the blue. It never goes as well as it should.
Old 20-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck Dave, hope it out works well and you get the job.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
That is good news. In case you weren't aware it's a very good idea to discuss your job applications with your referees. That way they are expecting a call and know what the job you're applying for is.

I've been blindsided a few times with reference calls out of the blue. It never goes as well as it should.
thats good advice but i was already in contact with all my references just to fill them in with whats going on, explained the job and was also good to have a catch up with them also as a couple of them are in NSW. So far today, 2 of my references called me and had said they received phone calls so its good they are checking up.

Secondly, uni wise is going well so far, received 100% marks for a 2nd time so thats 2 assignments in a row now so pretty stoked with that. Also thumped out another assignment today that i was a little behind on, it was due yesterday and i got allowed an extension cause i was sick a couple of weeks ago.... anyway, i got approved for the extension to hand it in friday 23rd, it was due on the 19th, i got it done today and submitted it only to then found out there was an automatic 2 day extension anyway lol.... oh well, another assignmnt is just around the corner lol

Third..... if anyone follows my build thread will know that my XA isnt here at the new house yet, but as of next weekend it will be!!!

Busy busy!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

thought id give an update here, although there really isnt a lot of news to talk about.

Job front is getting frustrating, still constantly sending out resumes, follow up phone calls and waiting for interviews but so far it hasnt gone too well and its becoming quite stressfull. Its been over 2 weeks since i had my interview with Wagners and im still eagerly awaiting to get word from them, i did a follow up last monday but was only told the job start date was pushed back til the end of April and would hear back within a couple of weeks.... so basically been living next to the phone lately.

With all this job anxiety, its also unfortunatly affected my uni a little too. my marks have dropped a little and although ive still passed each assignment, i get the feeling i could of done better, but with my head not fully in the game i guess the marks show that.... so i kinda feel im at a crossroads with that now too and have discussed a couple of options over with my lecuturers in private and i have a couple of weeks to decide.

SO, guess im pleading to everyone here, if you have a position available right now im ready for work and dont really care what it is. Please PM me if you have or know of anything available and will forward my resume etc.

thanks again, appreciate your time.
Dave

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

just like to report i started a new job today interviews yesterday, got the call up today.... so pretty stoked

Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Congratulations
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Chopped
as in chopped

Well done mate, I was hoping something would come along for you.

I also started a new job just over a month ago.
Worked twenty years at the previous employer only to be given 5 minutes notice ! (the economy is all over the place at the moment)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats Dave, well done.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Good news! What is it?
I'm doing the same degree as you. If you get stuck, I'll be happy to help.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good upon you, perserverence has prevailed.