Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Will an AU 6 Cylinder manual gearbox fit an AU v8?

As the title suggests will a 5 speed manual AU gearbox out of a six cylinder go into a V8 AU? If not could someone tell me the differences please. And another one, will a V8 EL 5 speed manual gearbox fit an AU V8? Thanks.

5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Will an AU 6 Cylinder manual gearbox fit an AU v8?

No and no. 6cyl wont fit due to bellhousing (and couldnt take power from engine for long i dont think) and the EL one wont fit as the input shaft is about 50mm in the wrong direction and I think the bellhousing on it is different too.

You need a T5Z to suit the AU.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

The gearbox can be fitted with the correct bellhousing. However the V8 gearbox has different intermediate gears and is also a stronger box.

The E-Series boxes have a shorter length input shaft and has to be mated to the correct length bellhousing if fitting to an AU. Also the shifter will be further forward.

So the short answer really is to get the correct box to start with and you won't have any problems mixing and matching.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Only differences between AU boxes is the I6 has a ~20mm shorter input shaft.
You can get a longer input shaft from the US, or get an I6 one lengthened locally for $150.

The ratios are also different, with the V8 box having a closer ratio set, and as a consequence they're supposed to be slightly stronger (I doubt much though). But this doesn't stop you from fitting one, and would even make for a nice short first gear. Good for towing.

Bellhousing is a non issue as you just use the correct one for the engine.

As far as I'm aware, the same differences exist for E series boxes, and that the extension housing is somewhat shorter.

Last edited by Sox; 09-01-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Only differences between AU boxes is the I6 has a ~20mm shorter input shaft.
You can get a longer input shaft from the US, or get an I6 one lengthened locally for $150.

The ratios are also different, with the V8 box having a closer ratio set, and as a consequence they're supposed to be slightly stronger (I doubt much though). But this doesn't stop you from fitting one, and would even make for a nice short first gear. Good for towing.

Bellhousing is a non issue as you just use the correct one for the engine.

As far as I'm aware, the same differences exist for E series boxes, and that the extension housing is somewhat shorter.

Thanks for the info. Will an input shaft from an AU V8 box fit into the 6 cylinder AU box?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo,mo and co
Thanks for the info. Will an input shaft from an AU V8 box fit into the 6 cylinder AU box?
No, because the ratio is different.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a rebuild of the original V8 gearbox is the best solution. Thanks fellas.