Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
LS2 KLR

Question Bowral to Tassie return driving holiday, must drive roads?

I'm planning a driving holiday to Tassie late Oct/early Nov . I want to drive around Tassie and have a bit of a look as well. I'm going without the wife so I don't care where I stay or visit, just after some good driving roads. So if anyone can give me some names of roads I should drive, it would be greatly appreciated. I understand that there could be a very long list, but hopefully I can pick and choose as I please, and get a great driving experience.

I'm planning 5-6 days in Tassie, with 1 day from Bowral-Melbourne each way. I would also be interested in an enjoyable drive back home. Already thinking of the snowy mountains road, not so cluey about Vic perhaps through the high country?

Any other hints, please add, regards Evan.

LS2 KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Bowral to Tassie return driving holiday, must drive roads?

Is the Bowral/Melb one day, meaning straight through, or a 24hr day with a stopover ?
Old 21-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Are you taking your car across on the Spirit? It is VERY costly, you will be looking at around $500ish for just 1 person. All trips across are night trips till mid Dec, meaning you need to book a bed as well. You can book a seat but the cost difference is hardly worth it.

I did a loop of Tassie a few months ago. If you don't spend too much time stopping to smell the roses you can do it in a week.

I landed in Hobart, spent a day there and a day at Port Arthur, then drove to Launceston (spent the night) then Waratah (Via Wynyard) then Derwent Bridge, then Southport then back to Hobart.

The East coast freeways are pretty good, drive at 100km/h no worries. Once you loop over the top and down towards Cradle mountain your average speed drops to 70-80.

Perhaps you can do the loop if you don't go to Southport in 6 days?

I stayed in cheap pub style places as well. The best one was in Launceston for $60 with breaky. You are looking at between $80-100 a night, perhaps more as I went in Winter.

Don't really know street names, but take a navigator with you. If you want to know where I stayed let me know.

Enjoy! Oh, and go to the Tassy Devil Sanctuary in Cradle mountain, they are run on donations and you get to hold a Devil.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
LS2 KLR

Thanks Yellow Festiva.

Yeah, will be taking the spirit across from Melb. I'm planning on an anticlockwise route and was planning on getting to Strahan the first night. From the times I've been there(Tas), I've enjoyed driving the roads just never been in my own vehicle and without the handbrake in the passenger seat.

I really want to get the best driving roads. I should probably see which roads are used during the Targa. That could give me a good starting point. Hoping some locals can point me in the direction of their favourite run/s.

The drive from Bowral to Melb will be done just on the Hume, but I was hoping for a more challenging scenic route on the way back.

Cheers.
Old 21-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Are you taking your car across on the Spirit? It is VERY costly, you will be looking at around $500ish for just 1 person. All trips across are night trips till mid Dec, meaning you need to book a bed as well. You can book a seat but the cost difference is hardly worth it.

WTF

I have just looked into taking the family over to Tazzy with the car and it was $800 return with the car and that was for 2 adults 3 kids on a daytime boat

It was for 23rd feb through to 1st march 2012 time frame so if you jump onto the spirit web site now http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/ you will find great prices oh and being a day travel you only need a sea lounge not a cabin and the car was $73 each way

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
The drive from Bowral to Melb will be done just on the Hume, but I was hoping for a more challenging scenic route on the way back.
OK, going home, if you have time, Princess Hwy to either Orbost or Cann River. Both of these take you to Bombala. Then onto Cooma, Canberra and home.

Or.

Hume Hwyto Wodonga then Murray Valley Hwy to Corryong.
Don't go through Tooma, it's more fun via Cabramurra..(if you have a manual your left arm will be aching later )
This brings you out at Kiandra on the Snowy Mtns hwy. You can then either go through Cooma to Canberra, or via Tumut and Gundagai to Bowral.
Old 21-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
WTF

I have just looked into taking the family over to Tazzy with the car and it was $800 return with the car and that was for 2 adults 3 kids on a daytime boat

It was for 23rd feb through to 1st march 2012 time frame so if you jump onto the spirit web site now http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/ you will find great prices oh and being a day travel you only need a sea lounge not a cabin and the car was $73 each way

Jason
Exactly... DAYTIME. When doing the trip Late Oct early Nov there is NO daytime boat. Do the night boat and you MUST pay for somewhere to sleep, which is what gets you in the hip pocket.

Departing 25th Oct:
If you want to share a room you need to pay $166, recliner seat $123 plus $73 for the car.

Returning 3rd Nov:

Shared room $140, recliner $97, car $73.

So, if you want to go the cheapest option, you are up for $366.

If you want to sleep in a bed you are up for $452.

Perhaps I should have said $400 ish.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
OK, going home, if you have time, Princess Hwy to either Orbost or Cann River. Both of these take you to Bombala.
Be warned the road from Bombala to Cooma is atrocious at the moment. (i live there), but the road from Cann to Bombala is a nice drive (windey from from cann to the border, then flat, open roads to bombala).

i like GasOLane's second suggestion of going over the mountains, either elliott's way or tumut to cooma. it's good if there's no traffic.
Old 22-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The Sideling!!

Targa stage...I drove it in dads challenger and it was fun. Would love to do it in my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdYMPkqtF8

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are great roads all over the place here. Pretty much anywhere you go will have some rippers. The roads from the west coast to Hobart are right up there, as are some of the back roads. The East coast is magic on a sunny day for the beauty. The drive out of queenstown is 99bends of bliss. The drive up mount wellington a nice hillclimb. So take your pick. Enjoy our little paradise!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
makattkd
RallyNav

Liena Rd (from Deloraine via Mole Creek) to the intersection of Cradle Mountain Rd Cethana Rd. Taking in Mersey Forest Rd, Olivers Rd and Claude Rd. Epic 40 km's of road. Hope your brakes are good! Here is a vid of the first half Cethana

Another is Paradise Rd from the Claude Rd end to Mole Creek Main Rd via Union Bridge Rd (you could do this one first and link up with the first one imentioned quite nicely Sheffield

And Buster Rd, Melrose Rd, Paloona Rd, Paloona Dam Rd is a GREAT drive! (again you can link it up with the above two). Here is a vid of us doing it in Targa Paloona

There is heaps more good roads about, and its likely ive driven them so just ask
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm planning a driving holiday to Tassie late Oct/early Nov . I want to drive around Tassie and have a bit of a look as well. I'm going without the wife so I don't care where I stay or visit, .
There's a good trip right there. "Slow down, you're too close, do you have to go around corners on 2 wheels, I'm getting car sick... blah blah blah".

The scariest road I drove on in Tassie was the last 50 or so kays of the Lyell H'way going into Queenstown from Hobart on the way to Strachan. Big, no,HUGE drop offs, with big steel cables along the edge to hopefully stop you going over if your brakes fade out.

Enjoy the trip mate.
Old 23-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Just don't be stupid and add yet another fatality to our lists... Have fun! It is nice over here.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
LS2 KLR

Thanks very much for the tips. Looks like I'll have a great trip planned. I'm definitly not interested in having an accident, I also have some very good driving roads on my door step and I don't do anything too stupid. The wife often comments that it's funny having a modified car and not driving it like one would normally expect.

Cheers Evan.
Old 23-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
LS2 KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by makattkd
Liena Rd (from Deloraine via Mole Creek) to the intersection of Cradle Mountain Rd Cethana Rd. Taking in Mersey Forest Rd, Olivers Rd and Claude Rd. Epic 40 km's of road. Hope your brakes are good! Here is a vid of the first half Cethana

Another is Paradise Rd from the Claude Rd end to Mole Creek Main Rd via Union Bridge Rd (you could do this one first and link up with the first one imentioned quite nicely Sheffield

And Buster Rd, Melrose Rd, Paloona Rd, Paloona Dam Rd is a GREAT drive! (again you can link it up with the above two). Here is a vid of us doing it in Targa Paloona

There is heaps more good roads about, and its likely ive driven them so just ask
Perfect, this is definitely what I was after, legend.
Old 23-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Warburton to Reefton is a great drive. So is the Alpine Hwy thru Hotham and onto Omeo.

Its dirt from Omeo to Khancoban, but Khancoban to Thredbo is now sealed and is a fantastic drive also.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
makattkd
RallyNav

Quote:
Perfect, this is definitely what I was after, legend.
Let me know and I can draw up a googlemaps trip that would take you right around the state.
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post