Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Any FRNSW (Or other states) firies on here?

Just wondering if any Fire Fighters are on here? I will be submitting an application at the next recruitment drive.

What are your thoughts on the job? Tips for the application process etc, questions asked and all those sorts of things...

Done as much research as I believe I can about the job, been and spoken to local brigades, research on various forums, watched through Fire 000 about 5 times, read through every article and news release on the website and all those things.

Any info would be great...

Cheers.

XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Any FRNSW (Or other states) firies on here?

from what my mates tell me its pretty hard going, as long you go in very prepared and are ready for the physical part you are in with a good chance
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best job in the world

I'm not in Aus so can't offer advice on the recruitment process other than to say check out all the different States websites for tips and ideas.

Make sure you a very fit and if you have issues with heights and/or confined spaces then get it sorted before you even think of applying.

Do some practice psychometric testing, most services do these tests as part of the recruitment process nowadays.

PM me if you have any generic questions you may have and good luck.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks for the info. Defiantly spent a bit of time looking at other states (VIC,QLD and SA) main reason for wanting to go for FRNSW is my home town is in NSW, and in the future I would like to transfer back here.

I dont have any issues with heights, and confined spaces, but will be trying to put myself in some of those situations in the lead up to the PAT test, as I dont spend much time climbing ladders.

Have you by any chance tried any psychometric tests online and found any useful in relation to the testing you had to go through?

Cheers.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

make sure you're aware and prepared to answer questions such as what you'd do in the down time

there's lots more to it than firefighting (1% only) and they want you to be aware of it and keen to do all the other community related stuff we do like public education, working with CALD communities, local govts, the elderly etc

last recruitment targeted females and CALD/indigenous applicants, what's your racial/ethnic background?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Have you by any chance tried any psychometric tests online and found any useful in relation to the testing you had to go through?

Cheers.
I don't think they had even been invented when I joined, don't remember doing them anyway.

Just google psychometric or cognitive testing

Interesting read if you haven't seen already...

http://www.nswfb.nsw.gov.au/gallery/...ws_01_2011.pdf

NZFS cognitive test...

http://www.fire.org.nz/recruit/fitne...sts/index.html
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to go in to some confined spaces beforehand, just make sure they are ventilated extremely well before going in to them.
Having worked in a vintage in a winery and having heard of people entering confined spaces and dying from carbon dioxide poisoning quite rapidly, I'd be very cautious with confined spaces. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and sits at the bottom of tanks and so forth.
In a winery, it's a minimum of a two person job to enter a confined space. One to go in fully harnessed with a tow line, and a spotter outside who can quickly pull the line to drag the unconscious person to them and drag them out. They also say to have a third person nearby should they need to go for help. They also test the quality of the air for CO2 before allowing someone to enter.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
If you're going to go in to some confined spaces beforehand, just make sure they are ventilated extremely well before going in to them.
Having worked in a vintage in a winery and having heard of people entering confined spaces and dying from carbon dioxide poisoning quite rapidly, I'd be very cautious with confined spaces. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and sits at the bottom of tanks and so forth.
In a winery, it's a minimum of a two person job to enter a confined space. One to go in fully harnessed with a tow line, and a spotter outside who can quickly pull the line to drag the unconscious person to them and drag them out. They also say to have a third person nearby should they need to go for help. They also test the quality of the air for CO2 before allowing someone to enter.
Wont be doing anything as full on as that, I hadn't thought through how I was going to practice that situation as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
I don't think they had even been invented when I joined, don't remember doing them anyway.

Just google psychometric or cognitive testing

Interesting read if you haven't seen already...

http://www.nswfb.nsw.gov.au/gallery/...ws_01_2011.pdf

NZFS cognitive test...

http://www.fire.org.nz/recruit/fitne...sts/index.html
Read through the newsletters already, also read through a couple years worth of 'Commish's corner' I managed to track down on the NSWFB retirees site. I have also read through all the publications produced by FRNSW on their website, things like annual reports, the KPMG statistics and figures report released in 2010, and done research on the brigade history, and station history, ie changing from the MFB to NSWFB and to FRNSW and the reasons behind changing to FRNSW. Also little things like knowing how many call outs my local brigade attended in 2009/2010 (922) how many were fire or explosion calls, how many were false alarms, how many were MVAs etc. Also done the same for COS, and researched the history of COS with things like the Flyer and Runner. Which could all prove to be useless, but I also find it interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880
make sure you're aware and prepared to answer questions such as what you'd do in the down time

there's lots more to it than firefighting (1% only) and they want you to be aware of it and keen to do all the other community related stuff we do like public education, working with CALD communities, local govts, the elderly etc

last recruitment targeted females and CALD/indigenous applicants, what's your racial/ethnic background?
From the chats I have had with my station, the SO said to be very careful with how to answer questions, dont change your answer to what you think they want to hear, but answer honestly as they may ask the same question more than once, with different wording to try 'trick' you into changing answers.

I was aware they were targetting females and ethnics, which would I find is dissapointing, if I missed out on a spot to someone of ethnic decent purely for that reason, surely it would go against FRNSW own EOO procedures? But I wont go into that! Not that I'm racist, I just thought the best person for the job should get it, no matter of their sex or ethnic background...

I have done a lot of research into what the job entails, things like the battery replacement program for the elderly, and the smoke alarm awareness program as well.

Most of what I researched could prove useless, but if it helps in the long run, then its all good.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a retained FF with FR NSW, and love it.

a few ago I wanted to be a permo but didnt get through.

I moved on with my career and then the money a permo FF was earning was less than I could live on with out a 2nd gig. so as my home town is a retained station I applied there and got in as far as a 2nd job goes the pays pretty good and all thats different is my quarry is a fully time gig and my FF is the part time one

As said before be awear that the job isnt all like the movies. when its on its the best job in the world and lets face it if you find a job you love you never work a day in your life, but dont become a Humphery fire man, (by 9.00 your that board you'll sit down and watch Humphry in the watch room)

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Im also going to go for retained, as I know how hard it is to get into permo, so I'm realistic about my chances.

I'm currently in the RFS, which is very different in its own way, so very aware of it being different to the movies, and that some jobs are pretty full on, while others can be pretty boring.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate nothing wrong with being retained, the moneys not bad and you dont need to be 10/14 to be a fire fighter

Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Wont be doing anything as full on as that, I hadn't thought through how I was going to practice that situation as yet.

Read through the newsletters already, also read through a couple years worth of 'Commish's corner' I managed to track down on the NSWFB retirees site. I have also read through all the publications produced by FRNSW on their website, things like annual reports, the KPMG statistics and figures report released in 2010, and done research on the brigade history, and station history, ie changing from the MFB to NSWFB and to FRNSW and the reasons behind changing to FRNSW. Also little things like knowing how many call outs my local brigade attended in 2009/2010 (922) how many were fire or explosion calls, how many were false alarms, how many were MVAs etc. Also done the same for COS, and researched the history of COS with things like the Flyer and Runner. Which could all prove to be useless, but I also find it interesting...

From the chats I have had with my station, the SO said to be very careful with how to answer questions, dont change your answer to what you think they want to hear, but answer honestly as they may ask the same question more than once, with different wording to try 'trick' you into changing answers.

I was aware they were targetting females and ethnics, which would I find is dissapointing, if I missed out on a spot to someone of ethnic decent purely for that reason, surely it would go against FRNSW own EOO procedures? But I wont go into that! Not that I'm racist, I just thought the best person for the job should get it, no matter of their sex or ethnic background...

I have done a lot of research into what the job entails, things like the battery replacement program for the elderly, and the smoke alarm awareness program as well.

Most of what I researched could prove useless, but if it helps in the long run, then its all good.

Cheers

affirmative action my friend, it's about trying to correct some of the wrongs of the past more quickly than would happen if steps weren't put in place to rectify that. eg:
1. females are hugely under-represented due to not being allowed to join for many years: almost 100 !!! and even now relatively few apply and get through. It's still a boys club
2. it was made very clear to aborigines in many small towns that they weren't to apply for retained positions let alone permanent

It's about making FRNSW more accurately represent the community it serves rather than simply being 99% men

re the testing, yes some questions are asked over and over to see if you are consistent with your answers
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks for the info guys... Heard the applications open 1st of May. So fingers crossed!
Old 28-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres a couple of FR NSW retained fire fighter recuitment videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS5iVvKhMRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtqRSIH5Gxs

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Fantome

Best thing is to be yourself not give them what you think they want to hear as has already been mentioned here. The other thing they look for at interview is life experience, can you relate what you have done in your life to the job, what skills can you bring with you and not just your RFS skills set. That said, if you have BA and CL or at least CLV then that will count for some but not all as they will train you their way regardless. Any situation or job you have been in where discipline is required (army reserve,cadets, police) would be well regarded.
Have you given any thought to the RFS Volunteer to Career program, that way a lot of your RFS quals will be well regarded.
I am RFS staff, Learning and Development Officer in Western NSW
Above all be prepared to go through the process several times before you are succcessful, my FRNSW colleagues assure me it's well worth it, Good Luck!
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post