Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default A/C Problem (Compressor?)

Hi All.

I have only just started using the A/C in the car over the last week.

Anyway, I noticed a few days ago that the compresser seems to be cutting in and out constantly. ie. click on - 1 sec later - click off.

The A/C still seems to work fine, other than the compresser cutting in and out constantly.

I have noticed that at idle, the A/C doesnt appear to work as well as usual, but once driving (above 2000 odd rpm) it seems fine.

Anybody have any ideas?

I've checked the connection and it appears secure, but I have no bloody idea what else could be the problem.

Cheers in advance

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Not low on gas ? .
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

I have no idea, I've never re-gassed it in the 5 years i've owned it. So that is definately plausible.
Does the compressor cut in and out when low on gas?

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
vermiltina
Custom e-series owner

yeah they have a pressure switch in the system so if theres no gas/pressure in the lines it won't opperate to stop from stuffing the compressor completely
go get the system checked. it might have had dye put in it so if leaking is easy to find.
fresh paint, 20 inch chrome wheels, ed xr front, scorcher body kit, ef/el mirrors and door trims, UPC 330mm twin piston big brakes, manual, front adjustable coil overs, 2.5 inch exhaust, twin thermos etc etc
**atomic built 660kw AU engine being fitted**
vermiltina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah mine did when it was low on gas, that's all it was.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
james22
With da Warlords

Cheers fellas, my first port of call is to check the a/c at the local shop I suppose.

I'll check back with results later.

Thanks

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

No worries mate, it's normally this time of yr when you find problem's with the air cond as it's when it is needed, 40 deg today
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
DW260

Yep, same thing happened to me this time last year. Turned out the compressor was shagged... Similar symptoms to mine, but mine wasn't getting cold at all.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
GASXD

Hi James,

When you switch on your A/C do the fans come on regardless of engine temp?
If you have a condennsor thats getting to hot it will casue the commpressor to cut in and out to combat the heat buildup (safty messure).
Now you mention it works fine while driving at say 2000rpm around 100kmh or so.
This would provide enough airflow to cool the condensor and keep it happy.
My guess is that if it was low on gas it would cut out regardless of rpm or vehicle speed. I would be looking at the electrics that switch on the fans also.
Worth a shot before you blow all your cash on a regass.
Aslo, not sure if it works on AUs but on the E series if you unpluged the temp sender harness from the sender it used to make the fans come on flat stick, might be worth a try as that would cool the condensor and stop it from cutting out.

Cheers

Doug
GASXD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

Hi GasXD

The thermofans only switch onto high speed at around 92.0C.

They go back to low speed once it drops back into the mid 80's

Thermofans have always worked that way since I've had the vehicle, and I've never had a/c problems before now.

When i mention 2000rpm, its not on a hwy.
I can be sitting still, and at idle with the compresser cutting in and out the air is only sort of cold, but with a few more rpm (2000+) and still not moving the air will go cold. I think its just the extra rpm's making that compresser work more for the second its on before it clicks off again.

Another reason I don't believe its the condensor is that I can start the car (stone cold) first thing in the morning and straight away the a/c is clicking on and off, and nothings even warm at that point. So that should rule out the condensor?

Thanks for the input though, all idea's welcome lol

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Could be electrical, maybe the pulley clutch. Unplug the clutch wire (the single wire near the pulley), and connect it to 12 volts directly. This bypasses the pressure switch and everything, if it still clicks off and on, then it is a faulty clutch. Don't let it run like that for very long (in case it is low on gas).
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post