Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default V8SC, Advertisement, Brand rivalry, Brand Recognition & Sales. All relative??

In light of the two threads that have been posted in regards to Fords advertising efforts after winning a major accolade in V8SC (Bathurst, Championship Title), or rather lack of, I dragged this one out of mothballs of some of the threads I have typed but decided not to post them after a few re-reads & thought "no, maybe when the time is right" & simply saved it away. Now the threads that are started in regards to this are usually given the same debate & that "Brand rivalry is no longer alive", that manufacturer funding, & public awareness of their achievements of these teams is just simply "wasted money". Hmmm ok, well here is my blue eyed assesment:

It's funny how it is thought that the the Holden vs Ford Rivalry isn't applicable. maybe not so much from the "Race on Sunday, sell on monday" perspective, however, if it isnt applicable. Why is it that:

Whenever Garph Tander is on the podium, he thanks Holden & HSV. (I know he himself is personally sponsored by them)
Garph Tander is personally sponsored by HSV & Holden
That Holden's Motorsport manager is always sticking his head out & big noting the company. (In other words making a goose out of himself)
-Sponsorship dollars from each manufacturer is so important to teams. (Not just for more money)
-V8SC hasn't told them both stop funding (I'll answer that one: Because V8SC realises that Manufacturer involvement is still necessary)
-Why whenever Steven Richards was having an interview, he says Dunlop Super Dealer/FPR Falcon.
- SBR/FPR/DJR merchandise (less so DJR) virtually has a big FORD logo plastered somewhere on it.
-That above the windscreen there is a Holden in red or Ford in blue sticker
-That both manufacturers advertise their new products on the cars:
-The "NEW" 335 GT on the FPR beasts at PI & Bathurst,
-A big SERIES II on the splitter on T8 & HRT's roof at Bathurst.
-Why Murph, Skaife, GT, The Kelly's & That Idiot Morris has never set foot in a Ford.
- Moffat & Johnson JNR are in Fords.
- Whenever The SBR/FPR boys are on the podium they thank Ford.
- The cars are badged each individual Branding.

There are many other instances I can put forward. No, Sorry, whether you choose to believe it or not, brand rivalry is important, & alive & well. Thats the Facts . No doubt someone will list out most if not all the reasons on the above list. But thats not the main objective

I believe that it will be around for sometime to come. Admittedly there is a bigger movement these days in contrast to the Brock/Moffat Days in the 70's & 80's, on the drivers & teams more than the brands, however the brand rivalry is important.

It sells merchandise. Probably the biggest profit maker in the car industry. Do you really think it costs over $200 to make a team jacket? I picked one up through a site sponsor a few months ago for $55 band new. Originally $250. I bought a whole heap of DJR merchandise on special (end of season) last week: 2 pit crew shirts, Team Jacket, Polo shirt, DJR flag, & cooler tub for $270 posted. It would have cost $520 at any other time this season. Do you reckon there's some profit in that comparing the normal prices to the EOS specials? I do. (Just so you know they do still make profit on the EOS stuff, just not the monster margins the usually do, because they know that the fans WILL pay to have the current season merchandise)

Now while your wearing their merchandise with the Ford & Holden Logo's on them, your advertising for them. In fact your paying to advertise for them, because you paid for it in the first place. (Bloody good way of advertising I think). Now the Average Joe Blow is walking down your street, doesn't care about the brand of car he drives, doesn't even know V8SC exists (Yes there are some) he picks his cars through styling, & practicality for his lifestyle. Sees the FORD logo on your jacket, & subconsciously stores it.

When looking for a new car, he's driving along, sees a ford, & thinks "wow THAT looks good, I'll look at one of those, its a..." *squint* - *only sees blue oval* "oh Ford, I remember that logo"

Now I know there will be a major difference of opinion on this, but I believe that the main objective is Brand Recognition. That sells itself in a roundabout way....

/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Brand rivalry has never been none existant IMO.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Brand rivalry has never been none existant IMO.
Im guessing thats meant to be:

has never been existant?

or

has been non existant?

or

are you saying it is?

Im guessing one of the typo's.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

My bad, i meant that brand rivalry has always been there.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
CODSASR

I dont see why ford need to advertise on courtneys win. The way I see it 99.9% of australians know what a ford is the only people who are gunna care about courtney winning are car nuts like us but we alredy know that courtney won and did it in a ford so any advertisement would be a wast of money.

If they where to advertise it may swing some people into buyng there product but is a $500,000 ad worth the 100 cars it may generate?

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

99.9% of Australians eh?

I bet if you went up & asked a 17-25 year old "girly" girl, I bet they wouldn't have an idea what a ford is, or what any brand of car is. If it looks good, they buy it. They dont care what brand it is or, what is does, just as long as it gets from point A to point B. That would knock out about 5% straight up. along with a few other minority groups that make up the majority of Australia.

P.S best you re-read my post, its not about Courtney's win. Its about brand recognition, in regards to advertising from racing achievements in general & how that in the round about way, sells a product.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Actually, I noticed on the weekend that Steven Richards did not thank FPR, he thanked FPV.

Anyway, don't know about you guys but I found that interesting.....
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
bingoTE50
Steve

Recognition is in the eye of the beholder . You see Ford because you are supporter .
A friend of mine see's Vodaphone because she see's looking for 888 Craig Lowndes .
It would difficult to measure the validity of spending the dollars on the V8's.It is a bit hit and miss.I see many members on here who own a Ford plus another brand. Why did they not buy two Fords? They know the brand ,they have a belief in one of them,but bought something else . Brand recognition yes , but not always does it convert too sales. Buyers are a lot smarter these days with research over the net . Also a big problem in my eyes are forums like these . How many threads are there with the title - What problems have you had so far with your .... I know I would never buy a Territory because of them.Maybe to help Ford ,we should start threads like ...What are the good experiences are you having with your Ford and how is meeting your needs ...
I know ,it will never really happen ,because as consumers ,we like to complain when we have spent our hard earned and experienced issues . I have done it on here !!
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Of course rivalry is there, it sells tickets to the race, it sells merchandise.

The entire race weekend they play on the Holden V Ford thing.

I just don't see it selling cars.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #10
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
99.9% of Australians eh?

I bet if you went up & asked a 17-25 year old "girly" girl, I bet they wouldn't have an idea what a ford is, or what any brand of car is. If it looks good, they buy it. They dont care what brand it is or, what is does, just as long as it gets from point A to point B. That would knock out about 5% straight up. along with a few other minority groups that make up the majority of Australia.

P.S best you re-read my post, its not about Courtney's win. Its about brand recognition, in regards to advertising from racing achievements in general & how that in the round about way, sells a product.
I am 23 and all the girls I know and have known in that age bracket have all known what a ford is. I was able to talk a few into fords

I know your post was not about courtneys win but I was just using it as an example as it was the most recent racing achievement

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
The Snout

Brand rivalry is only there to sell $19 caps and $99 jackets to the bogans.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

That's the smart way of looking at it - the cost of an add compared to how many cars Ford would actually sell because of said add.

Brand rivelery is the main game when it comes to v8 Supercars, it's always been that way and hopefully always will but it's becoming a bit of the Commodore Cup with being out numbered 2 to 1

That's what makes victory sweeter for Ford - outnumbered and still Ford come out on top.

Over the years there was a sea of Red in the crowds, but that Red is diminishing and the sea of blue is getting bigger and bigger.

That's a perfect example of Ford doing us proud and the spectators showing their support bigger and better each year.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
zebby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
I dont see why ford need to advertise on courtneys win. The way I see it 99.9% of australians know what a ford is the only people who are gunna care about courtney winning are car nuts like us but we alredy know that courtney won and did it in a ford so any advertisement would be a wast of money.

If they where to advertise it may swing some people into buyng there product but is a $500,000 ad worth the 100 cars it may generate?
I think they should advertise Courtneys win. To my surprise, my mother in law asked about who won the V8 championship This from someone who I have known for many years, never a word about this subject before. Why the question?. James was on Dancing with the Stars or whatever that show was, and she liked him. Real happy he won. Also, she just happens to be looking for a new car, and asked if Ford's are any good.

Well I never.
zebby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
SILENT_RAPTOR

I was speaking to the criminals at sinclaire ford and was told that after big races in the V8's the actually sell a few more car's than normal, poor enthusiast getting sucked into buying a repaired write off because he loves ford's.

Also i see holden adds no different to the usual media bs that gets aired on the t.v, its just propaganda to tell the blind sheep that they are 100% australian and you must buy buy buy.
SILENT_RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Garth Tander is on the podium, he thanks Holden & HSV. (I know he himself is personally sponsored by them)
Garth Tander is personally sponsored by HSV & Holden
sponsored and funded RE: tandersport where he runs he's own teams, formula3, formula ford
Quote:
-Why Murph, Skaife, GT, The Kelly's & That Idiot Morris has never set foot in a Ford.
these aswell as tender are HSV ambassadore's and possably can't or wont set foot in a ford.

Quote:

It sells merchandise. Probably the biggest profit maker in the car industry. Do you really think it costs over $200 to make a team jacket? I picked one up through a site sponsor a few months ago for $55 band new. Originally $250. I bought a whole heap of DJR merchandise on special (end of season) last week: 2 pit crew shirts, Team Jacket, Polo shirt, DJR flag, & cooler tub for $270 posted. It would have cost $520 at any other time this season. Do you reckon there's some profit in that comparing the normal prices to the EOS specials? I do. (Just so you know they do still make profit on the EOS stuff, just not the monster margins the usually do, because they know that the fans WILL pay to have the current season merchandise)

Now while your wearing their merchandise with the Ford & Holden Logo's on them, your advertising for them. In fact your paying to advertise for them, because you paid for it in the first place. (Bloody good way of advertising I think). Now the Average Joe Blow is walking down your street, doesn't care about the brand of car he drives, doesn't even know V8SC exists (Yes there are some) he picks his cars through styling, & practicality for his lifestyle. Sees the FORD logo on your jacket, & subconsciously stores it.

When looking for a new car, he's driving along, sees a ford, & thinks "wow THAT looks good, I'll look at one of those, its a..." *squint* - *only sees blue oval* "oh Ford, I remember that logo"

Now I know there will be a major difference of opinion on this, but I believe that the main objective is Brand Recognition. That sells itself in a roundabout way....
merchandise doesent make enougth money, only Brand Recognition.
for GRM formula3, formula fords, V8SC, top fuel, top doorslamer are tax rightoffs...
he's main income is military avionics, gov contracts..

other team (holden/ford) are in the same boat, weather its car parts or comercial enterprise
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Advertising a win would make stuff-all difference. The people who come into a dealer on Monday are Ford fans who know the results and who would of bought a Ford anyway, its just the emotional element giving them the initiative to get off their butt and make the purchase.

Sure have ads connecting the Falcon with motorsport, but leave it at that, dont waste money saying someone won a race, because the general public dont care, and the ones who do care already know.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Advertising adds to Brand recognition.
The 15 year old girl that forgot to change the channel during the ads in"Pretty Liars" will be in the market for a Festiva in a few years, and will remember "Fords win races".

Like many of you I know people that used to be 15 year old girls who now think the Holden is a better product.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post