Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
BluePrintXR6
Starter Motor

Question Rego Plate Help

Hi all.

I need some help with rego plate restoration.

20 years ago when I got my first car I got private Victorian Bicentennial Rego Plates.

Now some 20 plus years later they have become stone chipped even thought they have been behind number plate covers and the paint has chipped away and fallen off apparently these plates were re-called some time ago because they pain used was faulty (I wish I had of known that then ) no one sent me a latter.

Any way back in February 2010 I decided to dedicate some time to trying to get them replaced after having spent a week on the job talking to various people in Vicroads but come up empty handed, the advise was hand over my private rego plates that I had paid $900.00 back in 1987 and just get normal every day rego plates or apply for new personal plates as Vicroads was unable or unwilling to replace my current rego plates.

After more than a week on the phone and talking to more than 20 people and just coming up empty handed and just more frustrated than when I started I just gave up.

Now 11 months later I was pulled into a 1 up road side PBT in regional Victoria and whilst the cop was pretty good he was from the State Highway Task Force ( this is the new elite group hard **** coppers that was formed by the Revenue mad Victorian Labour Government ) they are only one rung under the special operations group and whilst the cop was pretty good we was a total smart aleck when it come to the rego plates.

I explained to him what I had done earlier in the year to try and rectify the situation including copies from my glove box of who I had spoken to from where, when and about what with a brief run down of the conversation. ( I work in an area where you have to take hand written case notes and be very precise ).

But he couldn't care less I asked him for some help and what else I could do but he just said " It's not my job to give you advise ( Gee I always was lead to beleive that the police were here to help ) I don't care how much it costs you, what you loose, how much down time it costs you just get them changed or cop a fine they are unsafe.

I asked hw they were unsafe but he wouldn't explain ( I'm guessing it has a lot to do with revenue raising in that the fla$h for Ca$h $peed Cam$ can't see them ) and nothing to do with road safety what so ever.

I have hit Google again today to look for number plate restoration and similar but have drawn a blank.

I am hoping some one on this all mighty forum may be able to help surely some where some how there is a way to either get them restored or replaced to still be the same bicentennial rego plates.

This is just blatant government bureaucracy stone walling people trying to get some thing done to comply with the law, Hell will freeze over before I give up my private bicentennial rego plates surely with all the golden oldies out there is a way to have them restored or replaced with out loosing out.

Thanks all looking forward to your replies Thanks in Advance.

Wayne.
BluePrintXR6

BluePrintXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I have a set of bi-centenial plates that I'm not using. If you are interested, PM me.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

What are these bi-centennial plates? What makes them so good?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ahhhhh ... the good old Bi-centennial plates.
My Dad had them on his car ... was given to him as a present in 88.
I think they were one of the first plates that were not of a uniform sizing as well. Narrower and taller.

Have a look here on the history of NSW numberplates:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents...factsheet.html
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
jason71
google is my friend

According to this:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rPlateFees.htm

It should be 99 dollars to replace both.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
mr ghia

I'm sure your good mate Premier Baillieu would love to help you.
mr ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
BluePrintXR6
Starter Motor

Talking

Thanks very much for your very generous offer jcxr I'll be sure to keep iot in mind pending how I go with my sit in at Vicroads tomorrow when I go and draw their attention to the web site that jason71 has been very kind to supply and if all else fails I'll take up the suggestion of and go and Pay Big Ted Baillieu a visit I voted for him after all so he owes me :-)

Thank you also to Mechan1k and XR for your prompt replies I'll be very sure to post an update here tomorrow if I don't get arrested for refusing to Leave the VicRoads office till I get some service
BluePrintXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

i've had the same problem with my vic commemmorative plates as they were made obsolete 20 yrs ago... cost me 99 to restamp both, the vic roads guys just need to check the older database for the plates not the new ones...
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePrintXR6
whilst the cop was pretty good he was from the State Highway Task Force ( this is the new elite group hard **** coppers that was formed by the Revenue mad Victorian Labour Government ) they are only one rung under the special operations group
Just FYI - the State Highway Task Force is nothing new and was not formed at all by the outgoing labor government. All that has happened in recent times (July 1), is a name change due to the regional realignment program, dropping Victoria Police from 5 administrational regions back to 4. This is nothing but an administrational change, desiged to provide better alignment between government agencies and their boundaries as a direct result of communication problems during black Saturday.

The "old" state highway patrol was called the RTTU - Regional Traffic Tasking Unit, for which there were 5 offices... one for each region. Now with 4 regions, there are still 5 offices but they've been renamed to "State Highway Patrol". They still perform the same job they always have.

Anicdotally - there is even a Blue Heelers episode from 94/95 (Either Season 1 or early Season 2) that features the RTTU coming into Mount Thomas "from the city" for a drink driving blitz and ****ing off all the locals....... Same ****, different name.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dosnt matter what they are named thay are still dogs
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
dosnt matter what they are named thay are still dogs