Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The secret Franken-dore and other auto misfits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Royale
That there were export versions of VS Commodore fitted with an Opel Inline 6? Does anybody have performance figures for this model?

Also I find the VN 2.0 litre Berlina that NZ got an amusing joke,( export only Family II engine, for the uninitiated) I wouldn't mind knowing it's weight, kW and 0-100 if anybody can dig that up ( plus an engine bay shot would be priceless to shut up VN fanboys).

I find this kind of stuff fascinating, also having discovered that Ford made V6 EF Falcon protypes (Essex or Cologne?) EF's with IRS (I read that here I think, with semi-trailing arms similar to Sierra). I think they had a trial with AU taxis on LPG in Hong Kong too.

Kind of makes me anticipate EcoBoost more. While I expect it will be a delight for the most part, I fear the centre-ball bearing of a 5-up E-B Falcon's turbo will be one of the most highly strained parts in the Ford world.

Heard about other oddball proto/export franken-Falcons for any similar purposes?

Last edited by FalconXV; 02-11-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: **** grammer
FalconXV is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
That there were export versions of VS Commodore fitted with an Opel Inline 6? Does anybody have performance figures for this model?

Also I find the VN 2.0 litre Berlina that NZ got an amusing joke,( export only Family II engine, for the uninitiated) I wouldn't mind knowing it's weight, kW and 0-100 if anybody can dig that up ( plus an engine bay shot would be priceless to shut up VN fanboys).

I find this kind of stuff fascinating, also having discovered that Ford made V6 EF Falcon protypes (Essex or Cologne?) EF's with IRS (I read that here I think, with semi-trailing arms similar to Sierra). I think they had a trial with AU taxis on LPG in Hong Kong too.

Kind of makes me anticipate EcoBoost more. While I expect it will be a delight for the most part, I fear the centre-ball bearing of a 5-up E-B Falcon's turbo will be one of the most highly strained parts in the Ford world.

Heard about other oddball proto/export franken-Falcons for any similar purposes?
Ford also did some XF's that were a v6 that got sent to the UK from memory.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were I6s getting around with twin cams in the mid 90s
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

The article says the Royale VS used a V6.

Also, don't forget the Mazda Roadpacer. Boom tish.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

both VL and VN commos got 2.0ltr 6cyl (nissan RB20) new zealand export..
not to be confused with familyII 4cyl engines..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Most luxurious Kingy ever!!!

I also remember this: http://www.fastlane.com.au/news/holden_ecommodore.htm - there's one of them parked at the Birdwood Motor Museum.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The article says the Royale VS used a V6.

My mistake, I got confused. The same body ( with Caprice fascia) was on Malaysian and other export market Opel Calais, which featured the Opel I6.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
both VL and VN commos got 2.0ltr 6cyl (nissan RB20) new zealand export..
not to be confused with familyII 4cyl engines..
According to wiki VL had RB20 and VN Berlina in NZ (switched places with Executive over there) featured Family 2 2.0 EFi. I would like to see an owners manual or something to back this up.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta

I also remember this: http://www.fastlane.com.au/news/holden_ecommodore.htm - there's one of them parked at the Birdwood Motor Museum.
Looks like a coupe at first glance. Shape of the roof is different to a normal Commodore. Looks a little like a monaro in the shape. Looks odd
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmm something just does not add up here. I can't recall the VK being built in 87, and I think early VL's were around in mid 86 because of the introduction of the cat converter and unleaded fuel etc. anyway??? Also I know someone with an 88 VN now so the VL could not have been built in 89 unless they were built along side the VN for the export market??? Lucky its only wikipedia!

Holden VK Commodore Royale (1984–1987):
Holden VL Commodore Royale (1987–1989):

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Bud Bud, they may well have been built one year but shipped, complianced and sold the next.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Bud Bud, they may well have been built one year but shipped, complianced and sold the next.
Gotcha! Would be interesting to know though.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Mmm something just does not add up here. I can't recall the VK being built in 87, and I think early VL's were around in mid 86 because of the introduction of the cat converter and unleaded fuel etc. anyway??? Also I know someone with an 88 VN now so the VL could not have been built in 89 unless they were built along side the VN for the export market??? Lucky its only wikipedia!

Holden VK Commodore Royale (1984–1987):
Holden VL Commodore Royale (1987–1989):

Bud Bud
build dates are differant to model dates
VK 83~86
VL 85~88
VN 88~90
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can just imagine warranty claims of cooked turbos right now, even worse if they drop it into the terry. She wont have the I6 longevity.

The VS Royale had the same engine as the Vectra V6, 125kw, 230nm. The manual V6 Vectras used to haul ****, couldn't say the same for the Royales as I've probably seen less than 10 since they went on the market.

As for the VN 2.0, it wasn't the RB20 but something as equally gutless

I don't have any figures for it. They have thankfully been forgotten now, although some high mileage examples do pop up for sale. My old man had a VN Calais when I was a kid, I should have kept the owners manual for reference.

Last edited by smoo; 05-11-2010 at 03:47 AM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just want one!
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Looks like a coupe at first glance. Shape of the roof is different to a normal Commodore. Looks a little like a monaro in the shape. Looks odd
That's how you get government grants, under the guise of economy, to pay for new car development. When did the Monaro make it's comeback?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
raa4.0l
Melted Rubber Fabricator

the au's that when to Hong Kong even had automatic passenger doors controled by the driver
raa4.0l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

The other crossover I was thinking of was the XF ute with the nissan running gear...

I'm sure i saw those floating around in the early 90s...

Anyone got any pics??
(or remember the cars?? I'm not making it up - I promise!!)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #19
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I found these - but from reading 'wiki' - for what its worth... it says that the running gear was exactly the same?? just the badges were different??

Anyone know anything about them???
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

Nissan XF was the same deal as the Ford Maverick, Toyota Lexcen, Holden Apollo, early Holden Astra, and so many more. Just a re-badged vehicle
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was also a Toyota Lexcen version of the VT Commodore developed before Toyota decided to build the Avalon in Victoria instead.

Also an EA ute and panelvan developed and canned.

FG wagon was fully designed but not given the greenlight (would love to see the designs).

As an aside I dont think a VN with 2.0l would be that bad, it only weighed around 1300 or so Kgs, about the same as a modern Corolla.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Also an EA ute and panelvan developed and canned.
But it was so hot! vvv

PS: would love to see the REAL FG wagon design, the photoshops are exciting enough

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
There was also a Toyota Lexcen version of the VT Commodore developed before Toyota decided to build the Avalon in Victoria instead.
Where'd you hear that one? Would have been one hell of a looker if they had based it on a VT instead of that recycled piece of early 90s american junk (USDM Avalon).
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #24
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
But it was so hot! vvv

PS: would love to see the REAL FG wagon design, the photoshops are exciting enough
Looks hot? It still looks like it got stuck halfway through a time machine, with the bonnet in 1991 but everything behind it stuck in 1979.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #25
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might aswell jump on the bandwagon. Here's an ad on the Chevrolet Constantia, and Kommando. (Based off the HK)

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #26
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Would love to see the FG Wagon Designs..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #27
dylancox

Does anyone know anything about the 'Falcon 2010' picture on the wall behind the BA GT Clay Model? There appears to be a convertible? Looks awesome. Sadly 2010 has come and gone...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #28
MONSOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta

The ECOmmodore was a concept, only 1 of them were made, Fwd 4cyl hybrid used a Monaro turret
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #29
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Looks hot? It still looks like it got stuck halfway through a time machine, with the bonnet in 1991 but everything behind it stuck in 1979.
.. no, you may have missed the sarcasm there I'm a massive fan of EA-EB and was excited by the idea that there may have been a production ute planned back in the day.. but upon seeing it, I threw up in my mouth a little bit because it is quite toxic. Although, with the back half given the XH XR8 body kits and bumpers etc, plus ED XR6 front, good mags, about 3ft lower, maybe it mightn't have been so bad.. but i agree.. as shown above the back is certainly still in XD form..

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #30
shifted

Would love to see a FG coupe! Would just love to see Ford make coupes again like the XA/XB/XC...
shifted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post