Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
JezaGG
Starter Motor

Default Au falcon shaking

Hey guys, im new to forums and such. Tried to look for my problem but after an hour gave up and thought i would post in hopes one of your geniuses could help me. i have a au 2000 model tray back ute, Auto 6 cylinder. When i take off at the lights cruising at about 50-60 in 3rd gear between 1000rpm and 1600rpm the whole car shakes and a huge vibration comes on as if the engine is missing something... Sounds sort of like a mount... But i can put my foot down and it slowly goes away... and i can rev her while idling and yeah engine doesnt move and it works fines up until 3rd gear and between 100-1500. It starts fine, revs fine, oil is fine and no leaks no unusual noise and idles like normal... how ever it now over heats very quickly to the point where i can take it 10 houses down and its over heated and the thermo fan comes on almost as soon as i start it... Any idea guys? cheers. I do not flog it, it barely reaches over 2500rpm most days... and started to do this while going up a hill today. Cheers guys any ideas would help.

JezaGG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Welcome to the Forums Jeza, sorry it has taken a problem for you to find us

Not quite sure what that is - is the ute on petrol or gas?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
AdsHEAT
Ford Man

My mums ba was doing that, but it was the electronic throttle module.. you don't have one of those, so won't be that..
AdsHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I remember having something similar ... and found it was the rear mount behind the auto transmission ... there's the big rubber mount under the rear bracing of the auto where the tailshaft enters the back of the box ... this can cause excessive vibration at certain speeds/revs

Best to get other things checked at the same time like bushes as well.

Also if you have a stock exhaust ... it may be part of the issue as well ... as they are horrid with some age. Usually the fix for them is aftermarket.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
JezaGG
Starter Motor

ahh i'll have a look at the mount today... thanks guys. Yeah its a petrol. Would the mount behind the gear box account for the mass over heating? hmm yeah maybe it is the exhaust :/ cheers for that guys, i'll have a look at get back to yous. Least now i have some ideas on where to look
Old 14-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
JezaGG
Starter Motor

okay after much searching this morning, i pulled the thermo out and tested it.. It moves like .05 of a mm... so guessing thats what the over heating was from.. going to check the mounts when the drive way is less dewy soon
Old 14-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Benny_88
Benny

how long since youve done the plugs in it? i have found that my XG ute was studdering at low revs, changed the pluggs and was gone, mate had the same dramas with his el studdering when cold at take of. also check the connections to ur injectors, run the motor and wriggle the harness, i had dramas in my plug where it connects at the fire wall, disconnected, cleaned plugg with sparay and no dramas, would run rough and stall out when i wiggled the wiring.
Benny_88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hey JezaGG, i wouldent know what the problem is (id say cooling system or electrical related), but if you post this in the AU falcon section (or get a mod to move this thread in there), you'd get a heap more replies from the people who know AU's!
Unless youve got some mystical rare as problem..

Heres the AU section: http://fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=241

Cheers

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Good point, I'll move it over there.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont rule out the torque converter or a slipping clutch plate in the tranny. If its done over 200,000ks i would think maybe the actuator that locks in 3rd or the torque converter is stuffed.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like the torque converter is on its way out, i had the same problem with a gear box i bought, go to take off, it would free rev then bang into gear

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

The overheating issue aside, and this might sound like a daft question, but have you considered that it might be a wheel balance problem? I just had a similar problem the other day on my truck. New steer tires last week and this week it suddenly starts shuddering at 70kph but fades away by 90kph. Turned out to be a wheel weight had been knocked off after I sent a skippy to that big paddock in the sky on tuesday. Sometimes it can be the simplest things.

Bushbasher

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post