Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
barra265t
Banned

Default Victorian Modern Road Quality

Just took a trip out to the western side of Melbourne towards Ballarat. Was quite impressed by the quality of road on the Deer Park Bypass, silky smooth, quiet and AutoBahn quality. Respect to the team who worked on this stretch of road, Eastlink and Citylink are absolute shambles in comparison. The 100 posted limit is the road's only letdown Has modern road-construction technology for highways improved in recent times, or is the age of the road a factor? Are roads engineered for a certain maximum speed?

Absolutely great to see the tax dollars being put to good use for once, now why can't we have a superhighway with this quality between cities, and a derestricted speed limit at non-peak hours + fair weather. Surely this can't be bad for the economy , and that'd be the day I'd pay tax with a smile on my face.

Last edited by barra265t; 29-05-2010 at 01:22 AM.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The Deer Park bypass is a nice strech. Surface quality wise I doubt there is any better in Victoria. Considering how much heavy traffic it takes it is holding up extremely well after just over 12 months.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
dunno61

Default Road Quality

Roads are designed for usually a 10 yr lifespan.Pavement depths usually end up being a price driven thing . Freeways are designed for 150K speeds , whyw e all get so tired driving on them at 100/110.
Unless/until designs are changed roads will be fine in the first couple years and then deteriorate fairly rapidly as these days the road is overloaded at time of opening.
The speed of construction of hese nwere sections will also tell a tale as time goes on. I can tell on the roads i worked on where we had to just "make do" with pavement quality because of costs.

Enjoy quality pavement while you can. Drought and rains and vehicles soon bring out wear .
dunno61 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I recon the Western Highway and the Calder are some great roads but they are not indicative of the states roads unfortunately ther are some roads around which are horrid, and I'm not talking about back roads. these a high traffic roads in the country, a couple of examples strech between Creswick and Clunes my Mustangs exhaust actually hits the ground going over bumps and it is not illegaly low! Another comming into clunes from Talbot up until recently I and many other cars had wheel damage because of potholes. And another close to home, wioth road being bad no matter what youn are driving unless you slow to 60-70kph your head will hit the roof of your vehicle because of how bad the road undulates. Having been a delivery driver for the first 10years of driving I was fortunate enough to travell all over the state, even in some isolated places the roads can be good, But buy far the Hepburn Shire has some of the worst maintained roads around.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Just took a trip out to the western side of Melbourne towards Ballarat. Was quite impressed by the quality of road on the Deer Park Bypass, silky smooth, quiet and AutoBahn quality. Respect to the team who worked on this stretch of road, Eastlink and Citylink are absolute shambles in comparison. The 100 posted limit is the road's only letdown Has modern road-construction technology for highways improved in recent times, or is the age of the road a factor? Are roads engineered for a certain maximum speed?

Absolutely great to see the tax dollars being put to good use for once, now why can't we have a superhighway with this quality between cities, and a derestricted speed limit at non-peak hours + fair weather. Surely this can't be bad for the economy , and that'd be the day I'd pay tax with a smile on my face.
it`s just a shame there are some good bits of road but there are so many bad roads that don`t get touched.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post