Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Please tell me someone's had a good experience with paintless dent removal??!!!

The FG copped a flogging in the big storm we had in Perth a few weeks ago. No where near as bad as some. But it's 6 months old, with 17,000km on the clock, and now looks like the surface of a golf ball. Got probably 100 dents on the bonnet, roof, pillars and front guards.

It was assessed on Wednesday and they've decided to attempt the repair using Paintless Dent Removal. I was livid, as i get no say in this. They basically said it's paintless or bad luck. I had it out with the assessment manager at the center where my car was looked at. He said that if i was talking about the local paintless blokes in the phone book he'd agree. But reckons that they have brought these guys out from America, and that all they do is travel the world fixing hail damage and they're in a different league. They've got my ute booked in to be worked on for 5 days.

I use my ute for work, but it's immaculate and i plan on keeping it that way. I've never seen a "perfect" paintless dent repair. SGIO have said that they have to warrant the repairs for life, and if I'm not satisfied that i have every right to demand it to be re-repaired and done to my standard. Obviously they must have some sort of standard that they call "good enough" and i'll just have to lump it?

If it was a few dings, i'd consider it, but 100? And some are right on panel folds and edges.

Anyway, i've never seen a paintless dent repair that i'd rate higher than 95%. Just wanted to know the opinions of those who've had more exposure to this method of repair.

I'll put some pics up of the damage tomorrow.

Cheers

Schmidty

schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Schmidty, just google "mythbusters golf ball divot car"

leave it as is, and enjoy the fuel savings lol. Chances are, if you fix the car, you make it less fuel efficient, use more gas, add to climate change, increase chances of violent storms, and car gets caught out in more frequent hail storms.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
SIKXR8220

What do you mean paintless or bad luck. They won't be able to repair the dents on the folds so are they just going to leave them?

I would be ****ed if this was me. You pay a premium to have a your car repaired to like new not 95%.

Hope you have a good outcome.

SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Pretty sure those American guys did a stint in Canberra a few years ago, and they are supposed to be excellent.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKXR8220
What do you mean paintless or bad luck. They won't be able to repair the dents on the folds so are they just going to leave them?

I would be ****ed if this was me. You pay a premium to have a your car repaired to like new not 95%.

I just mean they told me they'll offer me a repair using the paintless dent removal method. If i'm not happy with that i can choose to withdraw my claim and pay for it to be done any way i choose. but their offer is paintless dent removal only.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i looked at this on you tube some look good others not so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uncm3yXWuew
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
impressive!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpfS0...eature=related
have a gander at this one impressive .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
FordFan1

I used a guy in Melbourne to remove a dent on my left rear passenger door and I was very happy with the job. The dent was a 20 cm long vertical line obviously from someone's door at a carpark. No paint was removed so I thought I'd give that a go. Needless to say I was very impressed with the job, the door looked perfect afterwards and he didn't scuff the interior or anything.
FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

This is pretty usual in the insurance industry. What usually happens is they have a "hail day" where they do nothing but assessments on hail damage. At this stage cars are looked at for if repairable or write off. The paintless dent removal is used only if appropriate. If it gets to those guys and they can't do it, then it will be assigned to a traditional panel repairer for the dings the paintless guys can't do.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
This is pretty usual in the insurance industry. What usually happens is they have a "hail day" where they do nothing but assessments on hail damage. At this stage cars are looked at for if repairable or write off. The paintless dent removal is used only if appropriate. If it gets to those guys and they can't do it, then it will be assigned to a traditional panel repairer for the dings the paintless guys can't do.
I thought this might be the case
My experience was when i was selling my territory. The car had dings and the buyer wanted them gone prior to pickup. most were just shopping trolley dings and all of them were removed even one in the upper door crease which i was amazed at. I was happy to fork over my money for the job they did let alone the buyers.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my finance managers car copped a good hit in Sydney about 2 1/2 years ago I was scepticle when the insurer wanted to PDR it and, I have to say I was very impressed with the results, I'm quite jugmental on repairs and well I cant pick it and I know it where the dents were

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Why should you be upset?

If they are going to fix it and give you a lifetime warranty then there is no reason for complaint, isn't that why you insured with them in the first place as they choose your repairer and give you lifetime warranty? Let's hope you didn't choose them as they were the cheapest?

It's amazing what these PDR guys do, they know how to work metal.

First step:- go ahead with repairs

If they end up not being able to fix it to your satisfactory then you will have reason to complain.

Personally I would rather PDR than have it repaired at a smash repairer as you would have to have panels repaired and repainted, doing it this way you run the risk of the repainted panels being a slightly wrong colour and blended into the other panels and after repainted how are you going to know how much work the panel repairer did to pop the dent back out before finding it too hard and using bog to make the dent smooth.

With PDR no paint so no bog, no blending & no mis matched colours - now really which way would you prefer?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 10-04-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
richardxr8

Just go the PDR. Mine was done a few years ago after the Xmas hail in Sydney, and i was amazed - just amazed, at how good the job was. You would never ever tell it had any dints... and there were some deep ones in awkward places.. Absolutely no way to tell at all. Be more concerned the roof lining and interior of boot is removed/replaced properly though (mine was - it was a great job all round)
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Why should you be upset?

If they are going to fix it and give you a lifetime warranty then there is no reason for complaint, isn't that why you insured with them in the first place as they choose your repairer and give you lifetime warranty? Let's hope you didn't choose them as they were the cheapest?

It's amazing what these PDR guys do, they know how to work metal.

First step:- go ahead with repairs

If they end up not being able to fix it to your satisfactory then you will have reason to complain.

Personally I would rather PDR than have it repaired at a smash repairer as you would have to have panels repaired and repainted, doing it this way you run the risk of the repainted panels being a slightly wrong colour and blended into the other panels and after repainted how are you going to know how much work the panel repairer did to pop the dent back out before finding it too hard and using bog to make the dent smooth.

With PDR no paint so no bog, no blending & no mis matched colours - now really which way would you prefer?

Exactly!

I know which way i'd be going
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
BOSHOG
avenge me

recently my panel beater friend organised paintless dent removal for my car, he had to respray 3 panels because of the damage they made repairing 2 little dents most people wouldnt even notice, never again will i use them
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
Kryton

Before knocking PDR, sit on Youtube for half an hour and look at few videos that the professionals have posted.
Folds, creases and body lines - makes no difference what shapes are printed into a panel, they can be returned to factory in most cases.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKXR8220

Ther can get dents out on folds at top of guards,folds on door edges below windows, Top of door frames, and on all edges of boss bulges. The PDR guy that did my car was magic took 3 days to repair plus the panel shops time to remove all the interior bits for PDR guy to access the panels and replace them no painting no bog perfect job.
PDR guys are not normal beaters they are experts with lots of patience some of my dents took seconds to remove stubborn ones can take an hour when my PDR guy got stressed he had a walk and chilled then started again the shop I used in newcastle got a guy from sydney to do the job because in their opinion he was the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
This is exactly what they told me at the insurance assesor but PDR got the lot out. I had 2 quotes from my choice of panel shop 1 was 15k for replacement panels and respray the PDR quote was 5.5k the AAMI assesor said removing a turret is very invasive he wouldn't do it, but then asked me where do you want it fixed he was prepared to sign off on either option glad I chose PDR the car didn't need any paint and still doesn't. Insurance companies get bagged very often on here in my case they were excellent and the assesor was willing to let me choose either option even with the 10k difference in repair costs. PDR FTW.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by FPV+fteT3; 10-04-2010 at 10:48 AM.
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

I am fussy with door dings and dent over my car and ive had 4 small dent removed from my car over the past couple of years.
I have found somebody I use each time now as there is some great work being done on getting these dents out.
I cannot see where my dents were any longer, they look 100% no matter how hard, what angle or light I use to look for them

Get it fixed and go from there, no question about it.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Warning...

BEWARE..

There has been some early indications that some microscopic surface cracking of the clear coat can occur, depending on the severity of the dint, when its sucked/pulled out.
Its not visible to the eye.
This microscopic cracking can allow moisture to penetrate the coating and cause surface rust down the track.....
So make sure you have a lifetime warranty on any repair...

Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daniel, please give me the contact no. for your guy. I'm about to sell my car because of the emarrassing dints I have on one side. I actually just got off the phone from a dint guy not more than 2 minutes ago. I'm only going to get him to assess the dints first but would like to get a 2nd opinion. Especially if they've done work for you and you're satisfied.
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #22
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams77
Daniel, please give me the contact no. for your guy. I'm about to sell my car because of the emarrassing dints I have on one side. I actually just got off the phone from a dint guy not more than 2 minutes ago. I'm only going to get him to assess the dints first but would like to get a 2nd opinion. Especially if they've done work for you and you're satisfied.
im in the same boat, fixing small imperfections on a car that im selling. one word of advice, take detailed pics of not just the dents but the entire panel as evidence in case something goes wrong.

when i had mine done they scratched the paint with the padded part they rest on the panel when they lever the dent out. same scratch on 3 panels, was aparently caused by a metal shaving on the padding material.

it always pays to play it safe
Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:

Exactly what I was going to say.

But it also depends on the suitability of the particular damage for PDR, to avoid the microscopic paint cracking etc that can cause problems later that 4Vman mentioned, and importantly the competence of the person doing it.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

In Perth, the best I have seen is Shane from Delete-a-dent, cant believe some of the dents he has pulled out.

0417 332 933
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Anyway, i've never seen a paintless dent repair that i'd rate higher than 95%. Just wanted to know the opinions of those who've had more exposure to this method of repair.
Our previous rep car (a BF MKII XT) was covered in dents, so we took it to a paint less dent remover and wow. The result was fantastic. So good we had a few of our rep cars fixed up, but by far the worst was the Aurion AT-X. You would not even know it was dented now. It really depends on who you're going through though, and who does your car. Good luck buddy.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

I havent read all the post but I have had PDR done on my BA twice now one for a couple of dents in the boot when I brought the car, and the 2nd time becauise of some very nice shopper not putting there trolley away. Wind got it and hit front guard, front driver door and rear driver door 4 dents in total. The guy I used both time come to my house/work and fixed it to better then brand new as he pull the dents out then gave the whole panel a good cut and polish. We will also be using him on my missus car who copped a few dents in her brand new car from the recent storm.

I would think using a PDR would be better then having it done by a crash repairs as they are more likely to bog the dents then repaint it, and the new paint as much as they try is still never going to match the old paint exactly. With PDR they just pull or hammer the dent out so not need to repaint. I have the guys number that I used and can PM it too you if you like.

The other thing mate if you got any concerns I would be more then happy to saw you some before photos of my car with the dents then saw you my car after it was done.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #27
luke260
Starter Motor

the paintless dent removal is very good if the metal doesnt stretch. in almost every case to dent a panel the metal is stretched. if the stretching is minimal then paintless dent removal works fine, but in bigger dents where the metal is stretched extensively they can try all they like but its never going to be the same, the metal has to be hot shrinked and then file finished, or as most panel beaters do, tap down the highs and fill it with bog. i have also heard that in coastal area's paintless dent removal can be a problem. this is because when the paint flexes with the metal (when it gets dinted) micro cracks in the paintwork come out that is not visable to the eye, but in a coastal area the salt in the air can penetrate those micro cracks and start to cause rust, which will stuff the paintwork around the dent.
luke260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #28
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I just mean they told me they'll offer me a repair using the paintless dent removal method. If i'm not happy with that i can choose to withdraw my claim and pay for it to be done any way i choose. but their offer is paintless dent removal only.
just remember
your insurance company should be making sure the car is back to the condition it was before it was hit
so if your not happy with it then they have to get it fixed properly

dont take bad luck for an answer and pay it yourself
you pay them a hefty amount every year they can do their job

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
jsoto
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
incredible
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #30
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why should you be upset?

I chose them because they were straight forward to deal with, suited my needs, and gave choice of repairer. Some knob backed in to my last ute when i was leaving a job in Fremantle. 10 minutes down the road i had my claim lodged, drove straight to the panel beater i wanted, booked it in straight away. They took photos, emailed to the assessor and fixed it straight away. PERFECT process, perfect repair, couldn't have asked for better.
You are correct in saying that one of the main reasons why i chose this insurance company was choice of repairer. Something that they've not allowed me and i cant find anything in the product disclosure statement that says there were any exceptions.

Quote:

I dont want bog, or blending, or any of that crap. What i want is a new bonnet, new guards and then the standard paint process is i'd have the whole front end and roof painted, and a blend into the doors. I'd pay the difference in cash to the panel beater to paint the doors and back flanks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
In Perth, the best I have seen is Shane from Delete-a-dent, cant believe some of the dents he has pulled out.

0417 332 933
Cheers for that, i'd prefer to attempt to use someone who comes with a recommendation. Especially from someone who i know has high standards and expectations. I'll give him a call and get a quote to throw at SGIO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
BEWARE..

There has been some early indications that some microscopic surface cracking of the clear coat can occur, depending on the severity of the dint, when its sucked/pulled out.
Its not visible to the eye.
This microscopic cracking can allow moisture to penetrate the coating and cause surface rust down the track.....
So make sure you have a lifetime warranty on any repair...
Yeah this is what i've heard. Worst part is i suppose that the lifetime warranty only applies while i own the vehicle. If i sell it and the paint fails, the next owner is going to get bummed by a dodgy repair and i'm the **********.

That you tube clip was impressive mik.

I've spoken to a few people in the last week that have just got their SGIO renewal notices. Some policy premiums have gone up by 25 - 30% over last year. None of them have claimed anything on their policies. Being hit by the aftermath of the claims cost already?