Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Default GM offers Ford test drives

Source Drive.com
-----------
General Motors will take the unprecedented step of allowing customers to drive rival vehicles at its dealerships.

General Motors in the United States is offering customers the chance to drive Fords and Toyotas in a daring marketing move designed to tie in with the company's new slogan: "May the best car win".

The car maker told car industry journal Automotive News that it would lease space in four US cities for the pilot project, which will pit three Chevrolet vehicles against their main rivals from Ford, Toyota and Honda.

Steve Tihanyi, GM's general director of marketing services, told a conference in Chicago the "Test Drive Studio" program would be trialled in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Philadelphia.

"You come in and drive any of these competitive products at your leisure," he said. "You don't have to go running around town to go to a bunch of dealerships."

"It fits perfectly with 'May the best car win'. We're going to see how it plays out."

------------------------

I give GM Point for such Aggrevsive Marketing.
What does everyone think here, Who would win ?

divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

oh this cold backfire terribly. unless the competition is heinously disgraceful
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

that would make it easyer for prospective buyer.

but since your in the dealership!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Very interisting concept... got to give it to them for having the guts to do that.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

These guys have a seriously large set of brass ones to do this. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how well maintained and looked after these cars will be personally i think it only should be allowed if its regulated buy a indapendent body .
Whats to stop them using stale fuel , thick oil wrong tyre pressures the list goes on .

If done honeslty its a bold move and could pay of if there cars are better. But if not its a disgrace
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Whilst there is the slightest possibility of them detuning a car, I wouldnt trust them
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, haha, reminds me of that Sim Lim Square in Singapore where they try to sell you outdated or no name brands by showing you how they are better than 'name' brands!!

They do things like have a nice panasonic video camera(the one you want) plugged into a dodgy TV, then compare that to a 'ladasonic' and its so much better and for half the price!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Scott

You could imagine that happening in Australia...

Sportswagon v Falcon Wagon

No Sir, Ford don't make a Station Wagon so we bought their premier model for comparison. Yes, we understand that it is not fair for us to compare our lowly wagon against a flagship such as the Territory .... OMG, Sir - can you see this rust?

Calais V v G6E

Here is our V8 Calais, as you can see it has leather blah blah blah. Here is is Fords G6, we couldn't get our hands on a G6ET for this comparison but I can assure you that the G6 and the G6ET are more-or-less the same thing......

Omega v XT

Our Omegas are selling so well that we couldn't free one up for this comparison so we grabbed the next closest car we stock - an SV6. They are basically the same thing as the base model. No Sir, the XT does not come with 18" alloys or sports bucket seats - we're not sure why Ford did that...

Commodore Ute v Falcon Ute

It is funny to us Sir that Ford were unable to make a utility like we have seen in Australia for ever. We don't understand why they made the body like that - our Ute looks far more streamlined and as it is one piece, it is fundamentally stronger. Can you believe Sir that the Falcon still uses a live axle? We don't understand why they would use such old technology, it's not like Utes get used as Utes anymore.

Naturally all Holdens would be optioned to the max and have been tuned prior to delivery.

Tongue firmly in cheek.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
I wonder how well maintained and looked after these cars will be personally i think it only should be allowed if its regulated buy a indapendent body .
Whats to stop them using stale fuel , thick oil wrong tyre pressures the list goes on .

If done honeslty its a bold move and could pay of if there cars are better. But if not its a disgrace
I was thinking the same, can't Ford or other Manufacturers oppose this...
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Dealers up here in QLD do this when new models come out..

I know one that had a few VE's as demos in comparo to the FG when it was released... Was an easy sell tho!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
I was thinking the same, can't Ford or other Manufacturers oppose this...
Wouldnt think so.

Ford buy all sorts of cars to test against and pull apart for comparison, sort of the same thing. You own it, you can do whatever you like to it.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy

I think if I were shelling out even $40k I would visit the other dealer and make sure I wasn't shown a pup.

It's a good idea. Of course there will be brand faithful from all camps determined to give the salesman a hard time, but for the swinging voters it does provide same geography to compare. Even being able to see the interiors, paintworks, build quality, etc side by side would be a bonus.

No doubt the main aim is to position GM as proud and equal to the rest. People admire pluck and will probably reward it with purchase.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I was only thinking this same idea a month or so ago.

The local Ford dealer to me has a Holden dealer next door.

I always see people walking from one yard to the next comparing the two.
It got me thinking about how many buyers bought the Holden over the Ford and vice versa on sales pitch alone.

I thought to myself, if i was the Ford Dealer Principal i'd have a nice shiny, demo k's VE SS parked right next to our brand new FG XR8 with a slogan offering to compare the difference.
That way the prospective Ford buyer wont need to hear the other guys pitch to compare the 2 as his curiosity would be satisfied.

If by some chance the buyer favours the VE, you can still get a sale as your VE with demo k's will be priced to beat their new price.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I used to work in a dealership where Mitsubishi and Subaru were next to each other, Id often get people looking at EVO's then testing the STI's...then coming back and buying the EVO! lol
Old 26-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only car where GM has the winner is the Camaro. Even then I would have a serious look at the Mustang 5.0 before buying one.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
greens_tuf

I would think they are trying to encourage people to visit their dealers...
Once they're in, just start reeling them in...
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Ballsy. Very ballsy. I like their style.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
MAD
Petro-sexual

Just a few tweaks of the wheel alignment and tyre pressures would make a real mongrel out of an otherwise good handling vehicle. A few loose nuts here and there to add some clunks for good measure.
Old 26-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Just a few tweaks of the wheel alignment and tyre pressures would make a real mongrel out of an otherwise good handling vehicle. A few loose nuts here and there to add some clunks for good measure.
I'd assume tampering is illegal.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
I'd assume tampering is illegal.
Not if they own the car . As long as its roadworthy id say there safe.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
XR8putts

Oh please GM.

With Ford's TGW and fit/fitment/refinement levels where they are at now in the US, GM wouldn't stand a chance.

I'd say GM intend to and will sabotage the Fords. Either that or a Mustang 5.0 won't be (convineantly) avalible for comparison..

Hopefuly customers arn't so dumb..
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no way they would tamper with the cars, it would be an absolute disaster if it was found out and would also make the competition cars look like they have to be 'detuned' to level the playing field with inferior GM cars. It would seriously be one of the stupidest things to do, and the damage to their reputation and sales could be costed in the millions of dollars.

Even if people dont drive the cars, the fact that GM is so confident in their product will create sales just by itself.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

It's been done before, I've forgotten which automaker over there did it, but it's not new. GM may be shooting themselves in the foot by comparing their cars to the latest Fords (which are a step up in quality and design) as well as the latest imports. Unless they sabotage the comptitors cars.....
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
There is no way they would tamper with the cars..
It was suggested that they were doing that here to their own cars - dropping in a tune before letting the motoring journos use them. Personally wouldn't put much past them, especially in such a public arena... where they control proceedings.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

As has been posted before me, i think GM are shooting themselfs in the foot with this move, We all no that Toyota, Honda and Ford make alot better vehicles over there than GM do!

All i can say is good luck GM you will need it!
Old 26-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #27
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

As a few people said before, it'd be very stupid for them to tamper with the Fords at all or do anything underhand. Ford will be watching closely, no doubt, and rightly cry foul if they DO appear to be tampering with the cars. That will cost them MILLIONS upon millions, not just the loss of a couple sales at the event. I wouldn't garuantee it, cos you can't account for individuals, but I'm telling you that it's pretty unlikely.

Read on, this is a (somewhat classic, if uncommon) sales stunt, it's been done before and has worked well.

It does seem a bit sus, I will say that, but only at first - when you check to see there's no chip on your shoulder and think about it, it'd STILL work well even if more customers ended up buying Fords then GM at the actual event, because of marketing to the wider audience. They're not going to publicise it if that happens, only publicise the bits that make them look good. Nobody will know that Ford won more customers in an event run by GM's marketing division.

What happens there doesn't matter so much as the statement they're making that will be known around the country and indeed world will; That they must have a good product if they're that confident, that they're willing to play 'fair' and even show you their hand next to the other guy's products.

Plus being that it's run by GM, the real part of the sell will still be fully under GM's control - with their best salesguys talking you into buying the GM. Your average American is going to buy the talked up of the two, three or four products side by side, no matter differences in refinement and quality.

I am suprised how brilliant they are too, cos in the last fe years GM stateside's marketing teams have been about as much of an asset as gential warts.

With all that invested, let me re-make the point: They wouldn't take the risk of tampering with the opposition's cars in an underhand manner. It would potentially cost them MILLIONS upon millions, not just the loss of a couple sales at the event. This is purely a marketing gag.

And it will work very well, you just watch. I remember something similar being done in the 60's.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

I don't think many of GM's comparative cars up up to scratch with the competitors either, but that's not the point of this excercise.

This is however the point of my post.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I mean Holden might get away with it in Australia but GM North America?

They are going to get sliced and diced.......

This is all because Ford and Toyota are making huge inroads at GM's expense....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Bring it on. Highly doubt Ford (or even Toyota [EDIT: unless the toyo models accelerate wildy during the test drive]) are very scared by this. In most segments in most cases (model for model) Ford has GM licked anyway. Sure maybe with the GM guy giving his pitch it might work out ok for them as a way to entice people into the showroom. Afterall, its less trouble as a prospective purchaser to just go to one place. If the customer prefers the GM product then so be it...but in reality it was the look/feel/image of the GM car that got the sale, not this marketing move (which at best represents an agressive bold company....if that...). If so, then far enough. I'd say they would need to be very careful to not over-editorialize though. It wouldn't look good if a GM employee on a test drive of a ford spent the entire time rubbishing it...

It is just another version of previous attempts, but with bigger cahones. Ford dealers had a setup where you drove a Focus and if you then went and bought a rival car in the same segment/price you got $50. If you did buy the Focus you got free carpet mats or whatever to the same value etc. For me, it shows how buggered GM is not just in terms of new product but public perception that they would atcually put up the money and effort to do this. Risky? Yes, but they are buggered as it is now so might as well do it.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post