Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 3 more young lives lost....

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-car-hits-pole

Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

p plater in an xr6 turbo at 3am? at least it was a pole and not another car
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go again.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Here we go again.
Im sure that's exactly what the police, ambulance and emergency services workers said too....

Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Are Xr6's replacing commodores as the hoon car to crash....

Not good, silly people doing stupid acts!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
MitchG

unfortunately the XR6T has attracted alot of the old VL turbo crowd...very cheap very quick car & now seems very accessible to younger people even though there are laws forbidding it...ive seen a number of badged ones come through the work shop with green P's...
Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What is so attractive about this behavior to some people?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
What is so attractive about this behavior to some people?

I think its a bad combination of over confidence and an eagerness to impress that clouds all sensible judgement.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
glavas

bloody hell. when i was younger you use to do stupid stuff and people did die but now it seams like every other day theres a horror crash killing teens. im starting to be against all young male drivers and even female in any car but say a slow as hybrid.

all this safety and technology and people still manage to lose control of there vehicle's
Old 07-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its sad to hear of young lives being lost, but this is becoming a weekly occurance.... I just wish people would take a little more care on the road
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

coming from someone that will admit they did similar, the reason for it is just the thrill, in our minds at the time, it is something that we think we can handle, obviously some are unfortunate to be the wrong place at the wrong time

you will never stop this behaviour, no matter how many rules you put in place, it is something that many of them do, ask your son or daughter if they have, i garuntee they have seen how fast their car can go, taken a corner quicker than they should have, or at one point soiled themselves doing something stupid

i in no way condone this activity but it tends to be the worst of the teen experiments

the moment you get behind a wheel, you risk everyones lives including your own, the wake up call is when the feeling of freedom having your own car, becomes the weapon that takes someones life.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Another tragic loss of lives.
It's easy to point the finger after the fact but much harder to prevent crazy actions in the first place.
It's a shame that a few bad apples have no self control behind the wheel, now other P platers suffer the stigma.

Maybe the solution is changing these kids and their friends' minds about driving like idiots,
all the rules in the world are useless without the self discipline to obey them.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Sorry but not suprised seems every week there is another idiot getting his ambition and capability way out of whack on a public road.
Lots of somewhat innocent people dying because of poor choices made by young drivers passengers must consider who is driving the car they are riding in and is it safe to be in there, if the driver has been reckless in the past dont get in the car some people are accidents just looking for somewhere to happen and YOU dont want to be there.
Experience and ability 2 things a P plater has not got ambition they have in spades.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Darwins theory taking care of the world.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
MAV50L
Banned

Happened near a friend of ours place. From all accounts it was not pretty.
Unfortunately I will most likely hear more about it during the week as it would be my work replacing the pole.
Has been a lot of carnage on the Highway in that area over the last few years all due to stupidity.
I can see it is going to become very difficult around my way to have a fairly quick car soon. Everyone will be tarred with the same brush.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
kezzer

meh is all I can say, no amount of laws is going to change this behaviour, its been this way since cars were made.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Exactly.

I'm just glad they didn't kill any innocent people. Feel sorry for the family, but have no sympathy for these would be murderers - and that's exactly what they would be had they killed someone else. These are NOT accidents.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the % of people that think it can`t happen to me, younger ones mostly have that bullet proof ignorance, i had that same trait and only made through my youth more by good luck than good judgement, its in our nature to rebel against rules and regulations in our young days, more rules and regs only punish road user doing the right thing, the more i think about gecko`s post in the 5 fatality crash a week or 2 ago ,it seems they need to spend much much more on showing new drivers the blood and guts that emergency services see all the time, and teach them the the physics of folded sheet metal (the car) versus a 20 ton solid tree or other objects or this will never stop.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
yes maybe true for one of them but unfortunetly there were two innocent victims involved
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was that here in Victoria? XR6T is specifically mentioned in the turbo exemption form that it wont be getting exempted.

The media is going to go to town on this one, especially with the word turbo in there.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #21
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

you don't know they were innocent, they may have been egging the driver on.
The driver may have suffered from peer group pressure and been the victim.

We are never going to really know, but thankfully they did not take out a family etc.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rained on Friday. Dropping Julie at work. Waiting in traffic at a roundabout. See a P-plated commodore sideways around the roundabout. He recovered but continued on with his foot to the floor. You could hear the engine going hard.

Going to pick Julie up to go shopping after work, see a different P-plater 200 meters before the roundabout stopped after having hit a tree. Roads wet. The loser with his bent commodore standing around talking to the police, with his white chesty bond on looking like the real tool he was. Lucky no-one was killed.

P-platers, you think the world is too hard on you and discriminate against you. With the continual carnage caused, you deserve it. I have zero sympathy for any P-plater. Time they grew up and showed some maturity and responsibility. I hate hearing of any deaths, but when are they ever going to learn from the deaths of other p-platers. It could have been them.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Just because they were passengers does not mean they were innocent. They all have a part to play. Man, kids have got to learn to be an INDIVIDUAL and not bow to peer pressure.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
whats the % of people that think it can`t happen to me, younger ones mostly have that bullet proof ignorance, i had that same trait and only made through my youth more by good luck than good judgement, its in our nature to rebel against rules and regulations in our young days, more rules and regs only punish road user doing the right thing, the more i think about gecko`s post in the 5 fatality crash a week or 2 ago ,it seems they need to spend much much more on showing new drivers the blood and guts that emergency services see all the time, and teach them the the physics of folded sheet metal (the car) versus a 20 ton solid tree or other objects or this will never stop.
Whilst in theory this may seem like a good idea, showing the blood and guts (in today's society) is deemed cruel and psychologically scarring to a young person. Whether it would really act as a deterrent is another issue altogether.

Queensland did an advertising campaign recently regarding 'your story' which told the stories of those who'd lives had been affected by road trauma, or who had affected someone else's life, there are some in there that bring a tear to my eye, but these campaigns seem to have died off. I guess at the end of the day, the youth are our future, and we need to educate them on respect for a vehicle (and those around them as well). The invincible youth do have that 'it can't happen to me' attitude, but maybe we need to instill this into them with continual reinforcement. Then you have to question whether the teachers are up for it, will the government allow it, and will parents deem it unreasonable for their child to learn such things?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
coming from someone that will admit they did similar, the reason for it is just the thrill, in our minds at the time, it is something that we think we can handle, obviously some are unfortunate to be the wrong place at the wrong time

you will never stop this behaviour, no matter how many rules you put in place, it is something that many of them do, ask your son or daughter if they have, i garuntee they have seen how fast their car can go, taken a corner quicker than they should have, or at one point soiled themselves doing something stupid

i in no way condone this activity but it tends to be the worst of the teen experiments

the moment you get behind a wheel, you risk everyones lives including your own, the wake up call is when the feeling of freedom having your own car, becomes the weapon that takes someones life.
Unfortunately very true. The only way is give them time with emergency services, blood on their hands and nightmares after will get the message through.

Quote:
yes maybe true for one of them but unfortunetly there were two innocent victims involved
In my experience at many of these scenes, there is rarely any such thing as an "innocent victim" in the same car, passengers are often just as responsible, seen it hundreds of times.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
Just because they were passengers does not mean they were innocent. They all have a part to play. Man, kids have got to learn to be an INDIVIDUAL and not bow to peer pressure.
Yeah, I mentioned that but I'm a "loser" because I don't follow everyone else like sheep. Thats the story of Generation Y.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Whilst in theory this may seem like a good idea, showing the blood and guts (in today's society) is deemed cruel and psychologically scarring to a young person. Whether it would really act as a deterrent is another issue altogether.

Queensland did an advertising campaign recently regarding 'your story' which told the stories of those who'd lives had been affected by road trauma, or who had affected someone else's life, there are some in there that bring a tear to my eye, but these campaigns seem to have died off. I guess at the end of the day, the youth are our future, and we need to educate them on respect for a vehicle (and those around them as well). The invincible youth do have that 'it can't happen to me' attitude, but maybe we need to instill this into them with continual reinforcement. Then you have to question whether the teachers are up for it, will the government allow it, and will parents deem it unreasonable for their child to learn such things?

Very good points and to a degree I agree.

I think that such a program would have to be selective, say for those young drivers that have been done for dangerous driving, speeding >20 km/h over the limit or hooning etc. Then those same youth after their experience should be given support and counselling to help them deal with what they have seen and really push home the message.

Trust me, the two kids in the back seat that are now orphans because their parents were killed by some moron need protecting too, before the incident happens.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #28
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im sure parents can have a role in this too - for christ sake teach your kids what can happen, drill it into their heads from day one, try avoid having your kids driving the more powerful cars to begin with. I know there will always be ways around this but you never know it could help. The more I meet people the more I realise how many soft parents are out there allowing their kids to do as they please without enforcing any penalties as such - imagine how the kids turn out if they know they can do whatever they want. Not to say this is causing these types of incidents
Old 07-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #29
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Are cars such as the XR6T legal for P platers in NSW?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Are cars such as the XR6T legal for P platers in NSW?
Nah, they're on a similar system as Victoria.
Closed Thread