Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 15-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Smile Popping my drag racing cherry...

I thought I’d post this one up because I’m still thinking about it now, and it took me a good hour or so to fall asleep when I got home because I was still buzzing… they say this drag racing lark’s addictive and now I know what they mean. Although I will restrain myself from getting into it because who knows how much of my time and money it’d swallow! So, allow me to share my first drag racing experience…

I’m nervous. It’s a warm and sticky Wednesday evening and I’ve come to Willowbank after far too many “yeah, we’ll have to do that”s. In the staging lanes there’s enough time for Dan to get the digital SLR out and take a few arty shots and I shoot the proverbial with my mates. They explain why we’re waiting so long as the tractor runs up and down the strip taking care of one of the many oil-downs we’ll have to endure on the night. It’s 7.15pm.

There are some interesting cars here tonight, but sadly not a single X-series Falcon apart from my own. Notables include an old Kingswood wagon with venetians and a cowl induction hood, loping along and sounding very mean. Then there’s the two-tone 55 Bel Air that’s even more evil sounding. A few imports, lots of Commodores, a Merc 230E on bling wheels and our crowd – a TE50, a TS50, two F-trucks, an AU XR8 and my wagon.

After nearly an hour of waiting, we’re almost ready to go. I’ve borrowed a crash helmet from my wife, of all people. Going drag racing wearing a white open-face helmet your wife used when she had her Vespa isn’t exactly a professional look, but it’s got the right sticker and thus I’m cleared for take-off. Start the car up and follow the finger-pointing marshall out to the far lane. I’ve been told what to expect – drive around the water trap unless you’re doing a burnout, stage properly, try to cut a good light. My hands are shaking and I’ve forgotten to wind up my window, so the guy with the water hose tells me to “wind it up, champ”. Champ. More like chump; my heart’s beating much faster now. I need to pee.

I glance over to my opponent for this, my first quarter-mile run. Hah, it’s a little Datto! He’ll never catch me in my mighty wagon, no way! He must have all of 2 litres under there! Feeling a bit more confident, I inch forwards until both white lights are lit. This is it. This is my moment. I’ve waiting years to do this. I will conquer all. That Datto doesn‘t stand a chance.

The orange lights count down and before I see the green I feed the power in and the clutch out. I have no idea how many revs I’m using because my tacho doesn’t work. However, I get away cleanly in what seems to be a pretty decent start and grab second gear as the noise builds to a crescendo. Out of my peripheral vision I see that I’m ahead. Ha – little white Datto’s no match for me! You’re toast, my friend! And before my brain registers the last t in toast, he’s passing me, spitting fire and brimstone out of his cannon exhaust. Bloody hell. I snatch third and the little Datto is GONE. I’ve never in all my years of the traffic light grand prix had my **** handed to me quite so comprehensively (later I see why – there’s a hairdryer the size of an F-truck under there, nestled up close to the block!). Now I’m just flooring it, hoping that by some miracle I’ll reel him in; nope – not a chance. He’s out of here. I cross the line nearly four seconds after he does, and can just follow his tail-lights so I know where to turn off the track.

Bumbling back on the return road, I’m shaking and my palms are still gripping the wheel tightly. MAN, that was fun! Picking up my timeslip I feel a crushing disappointment – I ran a 17.398. My little Datto friend did rather better:

Me

R/T .634
60ft 2.595
330ft 7.270
1/8 11.234
MPH 63.15 (yep, that’s a pathetic 10 and a bit seconds for the 0-100km/h dash!)
1/4 17.398
MPH 80.43

Little Datto

R/T .599
60ft 2.852
330ft 6.528
1/8 9.359
MPH 89.83
1/4 13.678
MPH 111.96

I turn back to the staging lanes and “celebrate” by loss with the guys. I’m trying not to feel disappointed, as it was bloody good fun; but still, I was hoping for better. I’m parked up behind Dan, and after a while we realise that we’ll be running together.

My second run is more of the same, only this time I’m racing Dan in his XR8. He launches very slowly and beats me quite soundly, but it’s not the massive loss that I suffered last time.

Me

R/T .330
60ft 2.872
330ft 7.504
1/8 11.329
MPH 64.47
1/4 17.318
MPH 82.09

Dan

R/T .834
60ft 2.758
330ft 7.042
1/8 10.509
MPH 71.50
1/4 15.858
MPH 92.58

He’s not too pleased with his time either – as I suspect most drag-racers feel after their run, there’s always more in it; better reaction, a better launch, faster 60ft, more top-end, yadda-yadda.

But finally, the planets are aligning. It’s time for me to take on Nick in his F-100. Nick and I have been meaning to do this one for a VERY long time, and we’re here and ready. We both avoid the water trap, and line-up. This time, I deep-stage – I’m going to need all the help I can get here. Nick’s truck might weigh more than the moon, but his motor’s a fair bit warmer than mine – I know what it was capable of in a ZH Fairlane Marquis and I’ve seen the dyno sheets, so I’m not going to let him get the better of me. I want to win with my homebuilt budget Clevo. I need to. There’s pride at stake.

Here we go again, build revs and feed the clutch in quickly for a prompt getaway and I’m off. Glancing left, I can see that I’m ahead. There’s no time to woop for joy because it’s not nearly over yet and besides, I’ve got to concentrate and change up to 2nd. I manage a good fast change and the wagon barrels down again, full noise, flicking small stones up against the underside as it lifts its petticoat up and tries to run faster. My foot’s halfway through the firewall, my grip on the wheel absolute. Just as I’m about to snatch 3rd I catch a glimpse of the truck’s bonnet in my mirror. Gaining on me. In that gear change, Nick makes up some more ground. In the final fifty metres, we’re damn nearly staring at each other as we blast down the runway – he’s gaining still, ever-so-slowly. Can I hold him off? Can I? Can I?

We cross the beams and I scream like a schoolboy. I beat him! Can’t’ve been by more than a foot, but I bloody beat him! Ever the gentleman, he lets me go first into the turn for the return road. I’m going way too fast for it, so take an interesting line through the corner and then bumble along to pick up the timeslip. We stop, get out, shake hands and laugh. Best. Fun. Ever. And I bloody beat him!

Me

R/T .120
60ft 2.785
330ft 7.380
1/8 11.202
MPH 64.64
1/4 17.168
MPH 83.04

Nick

R/T .774
60ft 2.517
330ft 7.098
1/8 10.776
MPH 66.74
1/4 16.574
MPH 85.65

So what if he ran a better time than me? I was first across the line, largely down to the pretty respectable reaction time. That’s what counts. If I could just launch it better and drop those 60ft times. If I could practise my gear changes so they’re faster. If I could get my tacho hooked-up properly I’d know when to shift…

There’s a 16 in the wagon. I know it. Maybe next time.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Well done NEEEK and a great write up .... had a smile reading as nearly all of us have had the same feelings after our first time! The wagon is looking great and as long as you take it as all a bit of fun it shouldnt get too addictive and expensive .......

17.16! What would it take to crack the 16's? What sort of tweeking is required .... just a better launch or maybe a different set up under the bonnet? Maybe if you swap a few carbies and see which performs better ...... then the cam could just be the wrong one ..... some different gears, oh the tyres arent gripping like they should ..... hmmm, better put that bigger fuel pump on ..... $30,000 later you are trying to work out how to go from 11.1 to the 10's ...... Before you know it .... ITS ALL TO LATE! YOUR HOOKED!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
wkd-windza

17.398, 17.318 and 17.168 thats very consistant, you should enter it in the Street Fighter bracket. Most tracks have this class. Work on ur shifts and r/t and you will definately win some rounds.
Old 15-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

In the next 2 months i'm hoping to do the same down at WSID.

Great reading Neeek! Lots of laughs

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
reds89

be warned you guys,the drag racing bug bites and bites hard,and once you are bitten its hard finding an antidote,many cars and one marriage later i,m back at it again with my 50 year old mate who,s just started.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

That was quite an intense write up, had me on the edge of my seat. I know what it was like my first time, staring down the strip, and the setting sun at the end, knowing your about to race someone as fast as you can, without causing harm to anyone, or getting a ticket for doing it, well worth the $40.
Old 15-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
FPV70

Well done mate.... It doesn 't matter if you do a 17 sec 1/4 mile, the fact is you got out there and gave it a shot rather than shoot your mouth off and say you got a 12 sec V8.

Many people will agree that it's better to know what your car will do rather than exaggerate it.

Good on ya for doing it.
Old 15-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thats the the way to race just for the Buzz and the fun, Qwick time slips are way to expensive

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Lion Slayer
Is Ford, Is Good

Now i'm itching to head down for my first time, great read mate.

Herrod Camshafts-Pacemaker ceramic coated 4-1 extractors-100 cpsi cats-X-Force dual 2.5 inch stainless catback exhaust-Bluepower CAI-Mellings oil pump-4.11 diff with truetrac-Lowered on SL / SSL-TSW Nurburgring 20x9.5/8.0

Custom tuned by RDP 260 rwkw
Lion Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Qwick time slips are way to expensive
Jeezz you recon Woosha, now where's my wallet, oh thats right the wife took if off me. :

And well done Neek for having a go mate, and cool photos by the way.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Reading that made me feel like I was right there with you!! That was an insane write up! Good on you! You've made me want to jump in my car and go to the drags now, just not sure if my nerves could take it LOL

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Nice one man.
I'm popping my cherry at Heathcotes Christmas Challange next weekend.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
Work Horse
Budget Racer

LOL Great write up Neeek, I felt like I was riding shot gun!

Times don't matter as long as you had fun, and it sounds like you had plenty.

I'm confident you have a 16 in the wagon with a bit of practice.

If you want to go much quicker lets talk about some n2o!!

Come on you know you want to! :evil3:
Old 16-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
xbcool
dazed&confused

great read neek, it may be a 17 but as a bracket racer she'd be hard to beat running times so consistently.

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny write up- well done Neek! It is addictive, and you run as fast as the wallet allows. When you start chasing smaller numbers there will be ups and downs, but it gets into your blood.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Awesome write up neeek, made me feel like I was down there. Oh to have a drag strip in Adelaide....well, soon I hope. Well done on such consistency and I hope you crack a 16 in the wagon, which looks bloody nice by the way.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #17
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Good stuff Neeek! Sure gets that adrenalin gland pumping!

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #18
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Ah Heywood - I'd never seen you so excited!

Next time, we'll swap cars - if I can't get a low 16 out of your wagon, I'll give you the truck.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #19
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Excellent work Neeek.

I did my 1st track runs at the AFF heathcote meet this year.

I can 100% relate. All the way down to the timeslip of a best run at 14.96 in the TS50. you had me reliving it, all the way down to being told off for having the window down. LOL

Now i'm waiting to do it again without belting the T2
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
green grass
Starter Motor

It sure makes your heart pound! I remember the 1st street meet at a.i.r. many years a go. i ran in the over 18s. class. And I WON!!! driving an old ap5 valiant wagon with a slush box. One can't imagine a 5sec. pass!!
green grass is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #21
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great write up Neek, Your story about the datto reminded me of my first pass, I had a turbo RX3 (Pac Car) i had him at the 60ft and though wow i am doing well. Then he took off and passed me doing a wheel stand, he did 11.2 to my 16.1, i had a smile for a week after just 3 passes. One day will go again.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #22
xr6turboford

Neeek thanks for great write up, took me back 25 years when I had my first drag race in a rear end dragster (Ford powered of course) Still have my first prize money a $10 cheque.
Once again thanks for the read.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post