The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Graphic British road safety ad may be shown in Australia

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...18-661,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by news.com.au
A DRAMATIC road safety TV ad that highlights the dangers of texting in graphic detail may be broadcast in Australia. The four-minute film, which shows a multiple pile-up caused by a girl texting while driving, was developed by Welsh police and made by filmmaker Peter Watkins-Hughes.

As well as the horiffic crash, the ad also portrays the long, painful aftermath, including a disturbing scene where a young child is asking a police officer why her parents will not wake up.

Tasmanian Police Minister Jim Cox told state parliament yesterday that it was one of the most powerfully graphic commercials on road safety he had ever seen, The Mercury reports.

The Tasmanian Government is considering showing the graphic ad in a bid to slow down drivers.

In Victoria, after years of flouting the law, motorists now face increased fines and demerit points unless they keep both hands on the wheel.

The State Government will crack down on drivers talking or texting on their mobiles, in an effort to make the roads safer.

Despite almost 40,000 motorists being fined for driving and using a hand-held mobile last year, thousands of drivers break the law every day.

Roads Minister Tim Pallas said the new laws were all about common sense and saving lives, based on one simple principle - hands on the wheel, eyes on the road.

"But the message doesn't seem to get through to everybody," he said.

"Talking on a hand-held mobile phone while driving is reckless and increases the risk of a crash fourfold."

From November, all hand-held mobile phones and navigation devices must be fitted in a car holder or cradle.

Drivers breaking the law face a $234 fine and three demerit points.

RACV public policy manager Brian Negus said there was clear evidence that mobiles caused huge distractions and resulted in accidents.

"It is also really important that people don't fiddle with navigation devices while they drive. The research is clear, these sorts of distractions cause accidents."

The road rules ban P-platers from using mobile phones at all, even if they're in a hands-free set.

Mr Negus said many people were unsure about the rules governing mobile phone use, but the new penalties fines should deter drivers.

From November, motorcyclists will also be banned from carrying pillion passengers aged under eight.
Here's a link to the ad WARNING - CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES

I personally think that these ads should be broadcast here. Much better than the ads the TAC seem to come up with.

EDIT: Do not watch the video if blood, accidents or anything like that upsets you. I would also recommend not letting the kiddies see this one as it is VERY full on. Even I sat up and paid attention. This is definitely as close as you'll ever get to a real life incident in a re-enactment.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397

Last edited by RG; 28-08-2009 at 04:36 PM.
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Definately not graphic, seen what's in 'horror' movies now days? that ad would barely get an M rating. But if it makes at least one person not fiddle with there dam phone and pay more attention to the road, it's job well done.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Built Ka Tough!
Aint nobody breaking into one without the jaws of life.

Good attempt, but the rubber baby ruined it. Honestly though I got bored after about 30 seconds and had to resist turning it off.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wow, thats the kind of road safety ad's I'd like to see, something that makes you think holy crap.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

No doubt, the Advertising Standards mob will receive 1 complaint, the ad will then be withdrawn.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
No doubt, the Advertising Standards mob will receive 1 complaint, the ad will then be withdrawn.
Surely they'd have to receive a flood, they wouldn't pull an ad just because someone with nothing better to do wants to complain about it would they?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

People who complain about ads have far too much time and not enough television remotes in their hands..
Seriously though, that ad is fantastic in the sence it's got such a shocking impact. Hopefully kids pay attention!!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
People who complain about ads have far too much time and not enough television remotes in their hands..
Or regularly have phones in their hand whilst driving.

I saw this add yesterday and today overtook an erratic driver (slow and swerving) only to see her texting. :togo:
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I see so much of this during the day when I am out driving. Young people driving and texting, young people driving one handed and talking on Mobiles, Truck drivers driving semi's one handed texting or speaking on their mobiles. It is NOT solely related to young people either.

I even saw a policeman talking on his mobile at an intersection the other day... :(
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

It left me feeling numb. just made my kids watch it, they arent too many years off driving. scarey.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Good point falcon coupe. It makes you wonder. I just pull over to communicate on my phone!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I drive a truck for a living, and spend most of my time in suburban traffic in Melbourne. I see a lot of drivers talking and texting whilst driving. Most of them (80% probably) are taxi drivers, truck drivers and couriers. If I need to answer the phone, or make a call i pull over, if i can't pull over, then the call can wait. I can't afford to have an accident and lose my job over something as stupid as a phone call. But as for texting/ reading a text, I can't understand how anybody thinks they can read their phone, and read the road at the same time.
Old 28-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would be amazed at how many train drivers actually drive whilst on a mobile as well as the ones that have an earpiece from an ipod etc hanging from their ear.
I see it every day, yet anyone working on track must not use a phone whilst in the "danger zone" which is commonsense anyway.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so theyre on the left hand side of the road

then all of a sudden in the birdseye view they are on the right hand side

even though the moment before the crash they are in the dead center of the road?

anyways
moral of the story
dont drive small cars

and watch the friggen road

ps who wants to watch a 4 minute ad?
a standard tv show only goes for 20 mins minus the adds

so your watching 20 mins of fun 6 mins of boredom and 4 mins of ARGH(plus boredom)

Recent Car

Last edited by Ross-b; 28-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Or regularly have phones in their hand whilst driving.

I saw this add yesterday and today overtook an erratic driver (slow and swerving) only to see her texting. :togo:
sounds smart overtaking a swerving car,,not
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #16
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
sounds smart overtaking a swerving car,,not
What are you supposed to do, tailgate them? maybe horn or flash them? maybe hurl abuse at them, wave your fist, scream and yell, punch your steeringwheel...

Best thing to do is when its safe, round them up, get away from the idiots, no point dagging around them...
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post