Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The great Ethanol scam

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...514_058678.htm

Given the way major ethanol producers have pumped $$$ into political parties coffers this scenario will soon be coming here. While some vehicles will run happily on ethanol some don't. The IDEAL situation would be to retail both your E10, E15 or E85 concurrently with NON Ethanol fuel so everyone is covered. Intelligent solutions can be made. Intelligent comment is appreciated.
Bill

Old 27-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Deech
Making smalltorque

It's hard to say whether I agree or disagree, given that half the stuff he says is true in certain conditions.
Sure, you can ruin an engine running too high an ethanol blend if improperly suited, but then it's also possible to get some insane power outputs if properly suited. That's like the question of:

Q) Should I buy a car from *insert manufacturer*, are they any good?
A) It depends, which model?

See what I'm getting at?

Stuff like this really infuriates me, though:
Quote:
Not one mechanic I've spoken with said they would be comfortable with a 15% blend of ethanol in their personal car. However, most suggest that if the government moves the ethanol mandate to 15%, it will be the dawn of a new golden age for auto mechanics' income.
Which is how many, and their experience is what?
Quote:
Fourth, forget what biofuels have done to the price of foodstuffs worldwide over the past three years; the science seems to suggest that using ethanol increases global warming emissions over the use of straight gasoline.
There are two points there, both lacking in a source. It may just be me, but I don't regard Michael Moore-brand journalism highly.

I'm happy to be disagreed with on the other points, but I think it's definitely fair to call the article unbalanced.

A
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.

Last edited by Deech; 27-08-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sugar goes in my coffee not my car...
Old 27-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

+1 on that comment

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Nice. +2

ANY ethanol blend is manufacturer discouraged in both the Fairlane (XR6 engine) and Mini. The Forester could probably cope though.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Nice. +2

ANY ethanol blend is manufacturer discouraged in both the Fairlane (XR6 engine) and Mini. The Forester could probably cope though.

Funny enough Ford says all Falcons after 87 can run E10.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmmm E85...power, nice to your race engine & cheap :hihi:
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

if people wanted a real fuel that's lower on power, higher on consumption and cheeeep, they'd go with LPG. Don't hover between the two, LPG or ultimate.
Old 27-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
mmmm E85...power, nice to your race engine & cheap :hihi:
Not really. It can damage the valves. V8 supercar teams have had issues with it since it was introduced this year.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Not really. It can damage the valves. V8 supercar teams have had issues with it since it was introduced this year.

Like to see where you back that info up from??

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate anything to do with ethanol, it is just a scam. makes food dearer etc.

In fact, i go further on 9 litres of normal unleaded than 10 litres of e10. (which is 9 litres of unleaded and 1 of ethanol.) Whats the point? Makes someone rich....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

ethanol cost 1.80 per litre to produce with out tax, and is heavily subsidised.
what will we pay at the bowser with the tax on and subsidy removed??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
Like to see where you back that info up from??

I can't say i have anything written to display as proof. It was tried on a friends track car. It was used for a couple meetings and then he went back to normal pump fuel after being told. The engineers who look after his car have a good relationship with some of the teams in V8's. Not wanting to replace valves and such on a regular basis they decided to go back to pump fuel.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

This is the future of ethanol production in my opinion...

http://www.coskata.com/

It can potentially use garbage to produce ethanol. Seems like a win win situation to me.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

6 months, 100+ dyno pulls, 15 passes at the dragstrip, two circuit days and 6,000 (very) hard road kms and the cylinder heads on my 4.6L looked like brand new with no sign of recession or seat damage running on E85. Further to that the piston crowns and skirts, bores and bearings all looked A1.

I think fear is a big unknown in life, Ethanol has so many good features that put any and all forms of non-oxygenated petrols (Leaded or not) to shame including charge cooling, octane level and mega-antiknock propensity. It can also be tuned lean at idle and will therefore clean up the CO/CO2 emissions even with bigger cams etc without raising NOX levels (always more of a trading point with petroleum) Because of this it seems that it is too good to be true.

As long as the fuel system components are compatible, and the car is tuned to run on the fuel requirements (even E10 will cause the AFR's to lean by about 4-5%) there is no fear of Ethanol based fuels doing any damage to the modern motor vehicle.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
Jesk
certified nutter

i know my festiva isnt even rated to run E10 so if that comes in not sure how long it'd last
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Funny enough Ford says all Falcons after 87 can run E10.
I saw somewhere all Falcons were ok except Tickford engines. I am not sure why this is the case, or where exactly I saw it (some pamphlet at the servo I think), but my mechanic reiterated it. So that's it - no sugar water for the 'lane.

As far as I am concerned my older, out of warranty car isn't going to be some multi national companies' research and development mule. I don't drive it that much for it to be a huger environmental concern.

Some people have had a pretty good run on it, me I just can't afford to pick up the pieces if it all goes wrong. Wouldn't bother me in the Forester as its under warranty and Subaru don;t have a problem with it.

With newer cars its less of an issue because E fuel has been on the cards for a few year, with 20 year old cars it wasn't even thought of.
Old 27-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
The IDEAL situation would be to retail both your E10, E15 or E85 concurrently with NON Ethanol fuel so everyone is covered. Intelligent solutions can be made. Intelligent comment is appreciated.
Bill
I dont know if service station operators would agree with the "Ideal" statement there. Imagine the bowser setup.....

ULP93.
ULP95.
ULP98.
E10.
E15.
E85.
LPG.
Diesel.

Multiply this by the line(s) of bowsers and there wont be room for cars!!
Old 27-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
6 months, 100+ dyno pulls, 15 passes at the dragstrip, two circuit days and 6,000 (very) hard road kms and the cylinder heads on my 4.6L looked like brand new with no sign of recession or seat damage running on E85. Further to that the piston crowns and skirts, bores and bearings all looked A1.

I think fear is a big unknown in life, Ethanol has so many good features that put any and all forms of non-oxygenated petrols (Leaded or not) to shame including charge cooling, octane level and mega-antiknock propensity. It can also be tuned lean at idle and will therefore clean up the CO/CO2 emissions even with bigger cams etc without raising NOX levels (always more of a trading point with petroleum) Because of this it seems that it is too good to be true.

As long as the fuel system components are compatible, and the car is tuned to run on the fuel requirements (even E10 will cause the AFR's to lean by about 4-5%) there is no fear of Ethanol based fuels doing any damage to the modern motor vehicle.

Daniel
As you say, it must be component compatible and tuned for E85.
If granny in her old Corolla fills up with E85 because of its subsidised lower price, Bye bye Corolla.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Henry's first car run 100 % on it..
Conspiracy theories here we go again!!
I would rather our $$ stay here in Aust ..
Our old EDXR6 with high compression [10.5] loves it!!
The heads done over 400.000 klrs and still going...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Henry's first car run 100 % on it..
Conspiracy theories here we go again!!
I would rather our $$ stay here in Aust ..
Our old EDXR6 with high compression [10.5] loves it!!
The heads done over 400.000 klrs and still going...
Agree entirely.
I'd rather the money stays here than help to buy some shieks new rolls royce phantom made entirely from gold.

Quote: